This program provides students with disabilities independent, social, and living skills for home and community.
ELIGIBILITY AND AGE REQUIREMENTS
- Students should be between the ages 13 years old and not over 22 years old.
- Student placement would be reviewed annually by an IEP team.
- Hold high expectations for our students.
- Teach students all the necessary skills to live as independently as possible with or without support.
- Focus on daily living skills in a home-environment, with individualized based instruction on the needs of the student, while teaching them ways to use leisure time and necessary social skills needed to get along with peers and adults.
- Teach community skills and give students access to real community experiences that will help them as they become adults.
- Emphasize communication and following routines so that each student can be as independent as possible at home, school, and in the community.
- Follow a curriculum that emphasizes daily living skills, community skills, recreation/leisure skills, and vocational skills.
- Follow the Virginia Aligned Standards of Learning and evaluate student learning using the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program.
- Learn to use Assistive Technology devices if they are needed.
- Teach vocational skills and provide opportunities for students to work in simulated work experiences as well as learn appropriate work behaviors and social interactions.
- Learn transition skills that will help them enter adult programs successfully.
- Encourage parent and family involvement and support.
The Functional Skills Program is located in Fry Hall (Building B) at 515 Hurricane Road, Wise, Virginia.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Contact Dr. Fay Garrison, Principal at (276) 328-8612, or Jerrie Adams at (276)328-8017.