Whainga ako: understand what the story is about.
He aha te mea nui?
-work with a buddy - Read “Brothers and sisters”
-re-read your story if you are unclear of any answers.
Highlight the word that tells you what the picture is:
celebrate select celery
circle full moon half moon
Bracket bracelets broken
cotton floss candy
floss flow flowers
Finish the sentences - highlight the right answers:
1. Every year, we _________ Mother’s Day in May and Father’s Day in September.
Have / celebrate / do
2. For this __________ day, Indian sisters make delicious sweets.
Special / happy / great
3. Some are __________, and others are very fancy.
Bright / simple / cool
4. “I think Kiran will __________ this one,” says Roshni.
Love / like / happy
5. It’s the day __________ Raksha Bandhan.
Before / now / again
6. Roshni adds the milk powder while Aunty Vanita ___________ in melted ghee and milk.
Spills / pours / fills
7. Roshni takes a _____, too.
Heap / lot / piece
Read text and fill in the missing kupu:
Every year, we ____celebrate__________ Mother’s Day in ___may________ and _____fathers_________ Day in
September. So _why____________ not have a brothers and __sisters_________ day as ___well________?
The Indian _festival____________________ of Raksha Bandhan is just that - a ____special______________
Day for brothers and ___sisters________________.
On the day ____itsalf____________, they give the sweets to their _______brothers___________ and tie
Colourful ___bracelets____________ (called rakhis) around their _______brothers_______________
Wrist. The rakhis are meant to make sure that the brothers will be ________________,
Happy, _____rich_______, and _______successful____________. In return, the brothers often
_____give______ presents to their sisters and ___brothers__________ to protect them from
It’s the ______day_________ before Raksha bandhan.
Roshni and _____her aunty_________________ Vanita are ____preparing__________________ an
Indian sweet called __barfi____________ for their __brothers________________.
First they ___make____________ a syrup with ___suger____________ and water.
The next day, __when_________ the barfi is ___set___________, Aunty Vanita cuts it into
Which word means the same - highlight the correct answer:
1. Every year, we celebrate Mother’s Day in May and Father's Day in September.
Have / make / honor
2. Raksha Bandhan is celebrated at a full moon in Indian month of Shravan.
February / August / May
3. On the day itself, they give the sweets to their brothers and tie colourful bracelets (called rakhis)
Hand / buy / hand out
4. Usually the rakhis come ready-made from India.
Make / help / support
Clozed Sentences Kemu
Complete sentences Kemu