MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

06.19.15 at 7:00 am – Beech Street

SPECIAL MEETING

BOD Approved on 07.20.15

  1. Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 7:07 am.

  1. Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Julie Bell, Member; Chad Fish, Member (called in); Josh Warinner, ED (called in); Susan Likes, BM

Absent: Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Kathy Stemmler, Member

Community Members: Gabi Morey, CH BOD VP; Rebecca Millholland, parent/staff

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

  1. Update on Meeting with Tracie Hughes – clarification on parking spaces; only three parking spaces will be eliminated due to the placement of the crosswalk.  These spots will be permanently “no parking” due to the safety that a crosswalk implies.  We are also asking for the removal of an ADA space as we don’t feel this is necessary with the existing design of the curbs.
  1. Withdrawal of recommendation from city staff due to P&Z vote
  2. Amending our application
  1. Limit enrollment numbers
  1. Discussion
  2. Chad moved to amend our existing application to include the following enrollment numbers: 90 (2015/2016) and 130 (2016/2017) so long as we are leasing the spaces as outlined in our application.  Motion seconded, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.
  1. Additional parking
  1. Owners of 25 N. Beech have verbally committed to look into the leasing or purchasing of the empty, adjacent lot to be used for our required number of parking spaces with an option of overflow for local businesses.
  2. The additional parking that Spencer Smith has offered cannot satisfy the agreement as he is not going to be one of the two landlords as outlined in our application.

  1. Meeting with RE-1
  1. Josh received a text yesterday (June 18th at 1:45 pm) from Alex Carter stating that he was just made aware of the outcome of the P&Z meeting.  He conveyed that he would like to further discuss location options for our school.
  2. Josh and Julie spoke with Alex Carter via phone during our BOD meeting (June 19th at 8:30 am).  Alex again stated his willingness to assist our school in finding an alternative location.  Josh and Julie will follow-up with Alex once he is back in town, near the end of the month.

  1. Presentation for City Council
  1. Talking points for families – Josh and Julie Bell will work on this and then email them out the families by Monday.
  2. PTO letter – Tamia will make edits to Cari’s letter then Josh will email it out to families before noon today.
  3. Slide show and/or visuals – Julie S and Josh will work on this together.
  4. Strategy for applicant’s presentation – Julie will present to the boards/admin either on Monday or Tuesday for final review, comments, suggestions, etc.  Date and time TBD.
  5. Fact sheet we can include – Tamia will work on Charter Facts while Josh pulls together facts/data from our school.
  6. Additional Action Items
  1. Josh:
  1. Talk with Cassy about rallying the Student Council to make a short presentation.
  2. Talk with Shamai about contacting all the Wednesday Club partners.
  1. Susan:
  1. Retrieve copies of student’s letters and submit them to the city.
  2. Put together salary information sheet to include in the presentation.
  3. Put together a grant monies information sheet to include in the presentation.
  1. Gabi:
  1. Contact Anna regarding those community members involved in supporting the Innovation Fair.

  1. Responses from meetings with businesses to come and speak in favor
  1. Several business owners have already committed to coming and speaking on our behalf; we will all continue to try and get more.

  1. Other Business – no discussion

  1. Joint Board Business – no discussion

  1. Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 9:08 am.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of