MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

11.30.15 at 5:00 pm – 25 N. Beech

BOD Approved on 12.17.15

  1. Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 5:07 pm.

  1. Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; JenniLynn Lawrence, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Julie Suckla, Member (via Face Time); Kathy Stemmler, Member; Susan Likes, Financial Director

Absent: None

Community Members: Rob Lee, Consultant

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Nate

Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – JenniLynn

  1. Approval of the following minute:
  1. BOD Meeting - 11.20.15

Kathy moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Approval of Agenda: JenniLynn moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum: no discussion

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
  1. See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – October 19, 2015
  1. Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit”
  2. All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
  3. JenniLynn: e-mail a short bio and picture to Tamia.
  1. Action Items from 11.14.15 BOD meeting
  1. JenniLynn: prepare a proposal for amending the bylaws and organizational chart to reflect the FD reporting directly to the BOD.  Also included in the proposal will be changing the title of ED to Head of School (HOS).

  1. Consent Agenda - n/a

  1. Board Business
  1. Deferred to Rob Lee’s new Restructure (proposal)

Transition Plan.  Discussion with Rob regarding building a transition plan.  This may take a different form than his initial report that was generated during his first visit to our school.  Expect this to develop over time.  This meeting is an initial discussion.

  1. Short Term
  1. Identify the things that need to be done to maintain the basic operations of the school.  Determine who will do them starting December 5th.
  1. Medium Term
  1. Take the list of tasks identified above plus tasks that need to happen later in the year.  Work on a strategy to see that they all are addressed.  
  2. Can we fulfill these tasks with our current staff or do we need to look for additional staff?  If we need additional staff, what are the skills for which we are looking?  What will our plan be to locate and hire, if needed?
  1. Long Term
  1. Start compiling the list of criteria for our new Head of School and put together an advertising and recruitment plan.
  2. Start designing the hiring / evaluation committee.
  1. Next Steps
  1. How can we best utilize Rob’s talents as we move through this process?
  2. How can we incorporate other resources into this process?
  1. What do we want to do regarding Josh’s sofa that was broken during the construction?
  1. Josh asked the board for $125 compensation for his sofa that was damaged.
  2. Action Item - Tamia will contact Re1 to determine if there is a policy regarding personal property.
  1. Scheduling a celebration for Josh.
  1. Action Item - Susan will follow-up on the December 17, 2015 - Winter Social event.

  1. New Business
  1. Rob Lee
  1. Hard copy: Restructure (proposal) November 30, 2015.
  2. Rob doesn’t feel it is necessary to come on Dec 14-15, but rather do the evaluation via email and/or phone and save those days for another time.
  3. Rob will provide the board with a calendar of his availability and more detailed plans for the Interim Plan.
  4. Criteria for HOS
  1. Action Item - all board members can provide feedback to Rob regarding their opinion on the criteria for our HOS.
  1. Do we need an interim person?  In Rob’s opinion, no, we have our immediate needs covered.  Rob’s schedule is somewhat flexible and he could be here on relatively short notice if need be.
  2. Rob can do some liaison work with the district and the preschool.
  3. Rob will work on the communication piece regarding Josh’s departure that will be shared with staff, students, and parents.
  1. Rob will meet with our PTO President, Angie Seeley.
  1. We will plan to use the PTO meeting on December 8th for an open forum for parents regarding the transition plan.
  1. Rob will work with staff on a discipline plan to be signed by students and guardians.
  2. Rob will communicate with staff on how to inform their students regarding Josh’s departure.
  1. Tamia reported on the preparations for the upcoming meeting with Julie, Tamia and Josh regarding his resignation.  The meeting will take place on Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2 pm.  The board supports the recommendations for the meeting with Josh as presented by Julie and Tamia.
  2. Action Item - Susan will present a new letter of hire to Mona Snyder as a full-time employee as of December 1, 2015.
  3. Discussion of implementations of Rob’s recent Restructure (proposal).
  1. Action Item - Susan will update the budget to reflect the changes due to the transition, including stipends, as proposed by Rob Lee and as discussed by the board.  Susan will present the new budget at our next board meeting.
  1. Action Item - Susan will work with Rob Lee on creating a contract of his services.

  1. Shared Board Information

  1. Calendaring – BOD President
  1. Upcoming events
  1. PTO meeting - December 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm at Children’s House
  2. Winter Social - December 17, 2015
  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. Monday, December 14, 2015 at 6:30 pm

  1. Review all Action Items – Tamia

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s)
  1. Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year.  Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
  2. BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – October
  3. Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
  4. Discuss Google for Education – November
  5. Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD
  6. Approval of amended bylaws – December
  7. Opt-out policy for testing – December
  8. Review of Committee Membership - December
  9. Farm Lunch Evaluation - December
  10. Enrollment Discussion - December
  11. Approval of amended budget - December

  1. Adjournment: JenniLynn moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 8:16 pm.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of