Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
10.19.15 at 7:20 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 11.16.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 7:23 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; JenniLynn Lawrence, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, FD
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Kathy
Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Julie
- Call in from Auditor Lori Hendrick
- Reviewed draft of the “Basic Financial Statement and Required Supplementary Information Year Ended June 30, 2015” as presented by Lori Hendrick.
- Nate moved to approve the audit titled “Basic Financial Statement and Required Supplementary Information Year Ended June 30, 2015” as presented by Lori Hendrick with the three noted corrections. Seconded, all approved. Motion carried.
- Approval of the 09.21.15 Minutes: Kathy moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Nate moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – September 21, 2015
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit”
- All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- BOD: set the CCSP training schedule with board and staff once it becomes available.
- All BOD: review the survey and e-mail Shamai with their number one priority goal for this board to work on this year.
- Kathy and Susan: update the directory in the Google Drive, currently located in the “Board Packet for Upcoming Meeting(s)”.
- Chad, JenniLynn: e-mail a short bio and picture to Tamia.
- Consent Agenda
- Approval of 2015/2016 Budget with Oct 1st actuals
- Approval of CCSP Year 3 Budget
- Approval of September 30 Financials
Nate moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- BOD President – Julie
- Retreat Dates:
- November 13th from 5 to 9 pm
- November 14th from 9 to 5 pm
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Building Remodel Appropriation
- Finance Committee requests an additional $20,000 to increase the total to $90,000 for construction and an additional 2 weeks pay for Jeff Booten for a total payout of $18,000.
- Nate moved to approve the additional expenditure of $20,000 to increase the total to $90,000 for the construction and an additional 2 weeks pay for Jeff Booten for a total payout of $18,000. Seconded and approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Storage Space
- We are currently using the space at 20 N. Beech for storage, but are uncertain if this is fiscally responsible.
- Discussion tabled until the landlord of 20 N. Beech contacts us.
- Alex Carter requested that Josh ask the board if we were interested in occupying Downey.
- The board’s response:
- The board is willing to consider the proposal, but we need a price and move in date.
- Executive Director – Josh
- Discussion regarding staff evaluations
- Opt-out for Sate Assessments
- Fall STAR Data
- 2015-16 Goals
- Finance Director – Susan
- Additional Committee Reports (uploaded to Google) - postponed
- Board Evaluation
- Committee List
- New Business
- Health and Wellness and Academic Rigor - postponed
- Shared Board Information
- Gabi will send out an email to follow-up on board name tags.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- Andy Robinson in Durango: Building Boards That Work and Creating a Fundraising Plan. Tuesday October 20th.
- Board fundamentals training October 23 in Denver
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, November 2nd at 5 pm at Beech Street
- Action Item – Josh will update the website to reflect the change in November’s board meeting.
- Board Retreat, November 13th and 14th
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Retreat Committee Report – November
- CDE CCSP Grant Required Training Schedule – TBD
- BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – October
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Swear in all BOD members – Board Retreat
- Employee Handbook – November
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Discuss Google for Education – November
- Adjournment: Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 10:24 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary