How to Prepare
While you are at Young Leaders, you will be unable to leave for shopping and other tasks. As such, you should come well prepared for the adventure that awaits.
Please print and read (in advance of coming to camp) the following items. They will help you be prepared for your arrival. You must bring a copy of these documents with you to Young Leaders. You may bring it in electronic format (i.e. PDF on iPad) also, but you should also print out a hard copy and bring that in a binder. You will use the binder as you receive, collect, and create other documents at camp. If you fail to bring a binder, you will be required to purchase one on site for $20.
Print and place these documents in your binder:
- Federal Documents
- Your assigned state documents
You may find this of value also:
You will receive polo-style uniform shirts, recreation t-shirt, backpack, lanyard, name tag, and other appropriate gear upon arrival. In addition, please bring the following items with you to Young Leaders:
- Personal toiletries (deodorant, soap, razor, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
- 7 changes of undershirts, underwear and socks
- Shoes: recommend two pairs: one pair of comfortable black dress shoes and a pair of athletic shoes (no cleats).
- a belt and other personal accessories
- Shorts and casual attire (optional, for physical training, after-hours, activities, and field day).
- 2 Towels
- Bedding, including sheets and blanket OR sleeping bag
- 3 pair of black slacks.
During Young leaders, you are expected to wear the standard uniform at all times, except the following:
- After you are in your dorm at night
- Recreation period(s)
The standard uniform includes a shirt, lanyard, and name tag which are provided. It also includes the black pants, socks, shoes, belt etc as indicated in the Personal Gear section, above.
Do not bring a backpack, bag, or satchel. You will be issued an official Backpack as part of the program. Unauthorized backpacks are not permitted.
Click here to see an example of the Young Leaders Citizen Uniform.
For the recreation periods you may wear shorts, t-shirts, etc. We have Official Property of YL Athletics T-shirts available for sale at the General Store and also during check-out, if you wish.
Do not bring
- Weapons, simulated weapons, firearms, fireworks, explosives, or other dangerous devices
- Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana (in any form), e-cigs (vaping) or illegal drugs
- Pornography or inappropriate reading materials
- Check out all the rules here.
Violation of these rules can and will result in you going home.
- You will need cash for the following items:
- $50 registration fee* (unless pre-paid) + Processing Fee**
- $20 for parking if you bring and plan to park your own automobile or motorcycle.
- $20 if you forgot to bring your prepared binder.
- Money to buy extra shirts, polos, hoodies, etc.
- Additional cash for snacks, drinks, clothing items etc. from the General Store.
- *Registration fee is non-refundable, except in specific circumstances, such as death or hospitalization.
- **A small processing fee is charged for both online and offline transactions.
All medication, prescription or not, must be reported and/or checked in to the medical officer upon arrival.
- All of the following items are the responsibility of the citizen. Theft, while very rare at Young leaders, is possible with the Open Campus policy at Willamette University. Exercise common sense and care when considering whether or not to bring the following items:
- Cell Phones (Note: All cell phones must be kept on SILENT and used only when appropriate.)
- iPods and MP3 players
- iPads or other tablet computers
- No effort will be made to locate lost or stolen items. You assume all risk by bringing expensive equipment to Young leaders.
Any questions? Contact the Superintendent: Sprice@youngleaders.org