Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
National survey that aims to capture information regarding postdoc fellows’ situation, goals, beliefs, and performance. It is being circulated through multiple postdoc associations around the world and takes ~10-12 minutes to complete. The goal is that this data will assist in decision making for both future postdocs and policy makers. (link)
The research team: Mor Grinstein and Roi Treister (Mass Gen & Harvard Med School) & Amir Grinstein (Northeastern & VU Amsterdam)
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
In Brief: Annual Renewal of Registration for Postdocs
All postdocs at the school of medicine have to renew their registration every year in July. Remember to visit the registrar's office in the Edward D. Miller Research Building (733 North Broadway, Suite 147) to get your renewal soon.
Registrar’s Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the exception of Thursday when the office closes at noon.
Coffee Break, School of Public Health, Tue., July 7th
SPH postdocs! Are you interested in issues that affect postdoc quality of life, like salary, benefits, etc? Are there any policies affecting SPH Postdocs that you would like to learn more about or see changed?
If so, then please consider attending this SPH Postdoc Coffee Break!
When: Tuesday July 7th, 3pm - 4pm
What: FREE COFFEE AND SNACKS, plus conversation about policies affecting you, JHSPH postdocs!
Questions? Sarah Short email@example.com
Sponsored by JHPDA Policy and Advocacy Committee and Diversity Committee
Professional Development Opportunities
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through October available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Your Research Career – Summer Intersession; details here
- Monday, Tuesday, Friday, July 13, 14, 17, 12:00 - 3:00 pm, Rangos 490
- Wednesday, July 15, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Location: Rangos 490
- Thursday July 16, 12:00 - 3:00 pm, Mountcastle auditorium
- Developing a powerful CV
- Tuesday, 8/04, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, register here.
- Developing a tailored resume and deciphering the job announcement
- Wednesday, 8/05, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, register here.
- Applying for Federal Jobs
- Thursday, 8/06, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, register here.
- Grant Craft - Summer 2015
- Thursday, 8/13, Location: TBD
- Topics covered: Federal grant process and culture, how to choose a fundable research problem, write a competitive grant and so much more. For further info and registration click here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- JHU-MedImmune Science Day, MedImmune Headquarters in Gaithersburg, MD
- 9/24, Applications due 8/03 (application link, details)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- Institute for Excellence in Education Teaching Camp 7/09 - 7/10
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS (registration deadline 7/18; details)
- ASCB Kaluza Prize for excellence in graduate student research (due 7/31; details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here.
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- A postdoctoral position is available to study stem cells and regenerative mechanisms in epithelial organs in the lab of Dr. Sarah Knox in the UCSF Department of Cell and Tissue Biology and Program in Craniofacial Biology. (details) (posted 7/06)
- Cancer biology faculty positions at The Wistar Institute (details; due 9/10) (posted 6/29)
- Plasma Protein Therapeutics Association (PPTA) seeks Medical Director (link) (posted 6/28)
- Postdoc position available in Hopkins Brain Institute (link) (posted 6/22)
- Postdoctoral fellowship- University of Texas medical branch in Galveston is accepting applications for women’s health research (details) (posted 6/08)
- The IRCCS Candiolo (To) Italy is recruiting new PI(details) (posted 6/08)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.