Yule Log Cake
Serves 4 to 8
1 ¾ cups white pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup natural sugar
¼ cup vegan butter
2/3 cup water
½ cup vegan milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) container vegan cream cheese
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 cup vegan milk
¼ cup vegan butter
1 (12-ounce) bag vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Oil a jelly roll pan or shallow cookie sheet, laying parchment evenly up the sides, and oil the paper as well.
2. In a blender, blend the sugar on high speed until it is powdery. Add the butter, water, milk, vinegar, and vanilla to the sugar. Blend again until well combined. Pour into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
3. While the cake is baking, prepare a clean tea towel by covering it well with powdered sugar, using about an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of powdered sugar.
After removing the cake from the oven, but while it is still hot, sprinkle it generously with powdered sugar (otherwise the cake will stick to the towel). Place the towel on the powdered cake and invert another cake pan over it. Holding the two pans together, quickly invert them so the cake is now on the bottom of the other pan. Carefully remove the parchment paper from the cake.
4. Roll the towel and the cake together, with the towel actually inside the cake, to form a log shape. Sprinkle more powdered sugar on the towel as you roll to keep the cake from sticking. Refrigerate the cake until completely cool.
5. In the meantime, prepare the filling and ganache. To prepare the filling, use an electric mixer or whisk to whip the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add more sugar or cocoa powder, if desired, and whip again to incorporate. Set aside. To prepare the ganache, create a double boiler by placing a heat-proof bowl in a small pot of simmering water so that the pot supports the bowl (make sure the bowl is not in contact with the water). Heat the milk and butter over low heat until the butter melts. Add the chocolate chips and continue to cook, stirring, until the chocolate chips melt. Refrigerate the ganache until completely cool.
6. Once the cake is cool, unroll it, keeping it on the towel. Spread the filling evenly across the cake. Roll the cake back into a log shape using the towel, but do not roll the towel in the cake this time. Cut one end off the cake and place it on top to look like a cut branch.
7. Remove the ganache from the refrigerator, stir it well, and bring it to room temperature. Frost the cake with the ganache, making swirl patterns on the ends for the rings of the tree and straight line patterns for the bark. Decorate the log with decorative leaves, rosemary sprigs, or green icing. Dust powdered sugar over the cake to create a snowy effect or spoon powdered sugar around the cake. Slice the cake with a serrated knife and serve.
© 2014 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.