Lock-Up Attendants are civilians called upon in the event that a female or male is arrested. Under general supervision, the lock-up attendants perform tasks related to the care and custody of persons arrested or detained in police custody.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES (May include, but are not limited to any combination of the following):
- Assist police officer with booking and searching detainees.
- Make periodic visual checks and monitor well-being of persons held in the lock-up facility or temporarily detained in other areas of the building.
- Guarding persons in custody of the Department while detained away from the lock-up facility.
- Check lock-up facility, cells, and areas of detention for unauthorized items, contraband, and damage.
- Utilize electronic equipment to record visual well-being checks. Provide food and other necessities to detainees.
- Prepares reports as assigned.
- Assist officers in transporting persons in custody.
- Assists officers in restraining physically unruly and violent detainees.
- Appears in court as a witness when required.
- When requested, is responsible for the well-being of lost or abused children brought into the station.
- Performs related duties as assigned within the guidelines or policies of the department.
- Complies with Department directives.