Morality Final Study Guide
Directions: Using your notes, text, previous tests/quizzes, and personal knowledge respond to the following questions. Some answers will be a word or phrase, some will be several sentences.
Unit 1 - Ch. 23, 25, & 32
- What is Morality?
- What is purpose of Moral Laws?
- What did Jesus teach is the starting point of morality?
- What is Natural Law? (Review C.S. Lewis and Mere Christianity)
- Why is morality associated with being human?
- What word best describes our role with God?
- What is vocation defined as?
- What does the Sermon on the Mount contain?
- What is free will?
- What is conscience?
- What are the two greatest commandments Jesus gave us?
- What are the Cardinal Virtues?
- Grace is a big idea in the Catholic Church. Be able to define grace and know the Church’s view on it.
- What is the relationship between the sacraments and living a moral life?
- Review Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development. Write the stages below.
- What is a mortal sin? What is a venial sin? What is a sin of omission?
- What are the 3 elements of morality?
- If you had to describe conscience in 1 word, what would it be?
Unit 2 - Ch. 26
- Who led the Israelites out of slavery?
- Besides freedom, what did the Israelites lack during the exodus?
- What does decalogue mean?
- What is the first commandment?
- What is the second commandment?
- What is the third commandment?
- Please know the following words; sacrilege, atheism, superstition, blasphemy, materialism
- Know the Ten Commandments in order
Unit 3 - Ch. 27
- What does the term “domestic church” refer too?
- Other than parents, who else does the fourth commandment deal with?
- In regards to public authority, what should children obey?
- Are parents perfect when it comes to decision making?
- What are the attitudes that children owe to their parents?
- How should the civil authority carry out the fourth commandment?
- How does our responsibility toward our parents change as we get older?
Unit 4 - Ch. 28
- What case legalized abortion in the United States?
- What is the central question in the abortion debate?
- What does The Declaration on Procured Abortion declare in regards to science?
- What is physician assisted suicide?
- Know the following terms: active euthanasia, passive euthanasia, voluntary euthanasia, involuntary euthanasia
- What was Pope John Paul II encyclical on value and sacredness of human life called?
- What did Pope John Paul II call violence that disfigures our human community?
- What does Pope John Paul II say in regards to Capital Punishment?
- What is the US Catholic Bishops position on Capital Punishment?
- What are traditional principles used to guide Christians in deciding the morality of war? Know each of the principles.
- What is the Church’s teaching on legitimate defense?
Unit 5 - Ch. 29
- How is sexuality not just biological?
- How does the Bible talk about sexuality?
- What is chastity?
- Know the misuses of Chastity
- Know the violations of Marriage
- According to the Church, what are the 3 purposes of sex?
- What are the Church’s teachings for sex in marriage?
- Review parts of chapter 29 that deal with sex in the media...what are 3 facts about our media today that are mentioned?
Unit 6 - Ch. 30 & 31
Use the Unit 6 quiz, vocab list, and notes to review content for this unit.
Know all terms listed below for each Unit. Define the terms below unless they were covered in the questions above.
Unit 2 (Ch. 26)
Unit 3 (Ch. 27)
Unit 4 (Ch. 28)
Unit 5 (Ch. 29)
preferential option for the poor