Hulstrom K-8 BYOD Policies & Procedures
In our endeavor to deliver a World-Class 21st Century Education for our students, we know allowing students to use digital tools can open more and more learning opportunities in our classrooms. Our school is launching a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy for Hulstrom K-8 in order to increase the availability for our students to access and utilize electronic learning applications and online information throughout the school day for the purposes of enriched learning. The following is a list of policies and procedures our Technology Committee has developed to help oversee the program and ensure it is implemented wisely.
Student and Parent/Guardian Responsibilities
● Students who fail to follow the agreement will have their devices taken away and parents will need to
meet with admin to have it returned.
3. The District (teachers and administration) has the right and the obligation to monitor all district online activity, and may be required to disclose records of student online use (including materials and records of use that have been “deleted”) under public record laws or other laws.
4. It is the student’s and family's responsibility to ensure the safety of the devices and to avoid loss and and damage.
● Adams 12 employees are not liable for any device that is lost, stolen, or damaged on campus.
● Insurance coverage is the responsibility of the parents/guardians. We highly encourage families to
check the details of their homeowners or renters insurance to make sure their policy covers a
laptop/tablet device against accidental breakage or theft when outside the home. We also encourage
all families to purchase the maximum warranty possible on all devices. The other option is to
purchase a separate insurance policy for your laptop/tablet device. One company that provides this
type of insurance is the Worth Ave. Group. Their website is: http://www.worthavegroup.com/
Protective cases, personal locks codes and labeling of all devices is encouraged.
● In an effort to provide security, teachers will have designated secure areas for the devices to be
locked when not in use.
5. Students and their family’s are ultimately responsible for ensuring their devices are compatible with the District's wireless system and that the device has antivirus, spyware and adware programs.
6. Students must connect their devices to the Adams 12 guest network while at school.
7. Adams 12 guest wireless network is firewall protected and is filtered to block inappropriate and non-educational content, such as social networking and some gaming sites.
8. Students are responsible for management, knowledge of use, troubleshooting, and technical support of their personal devices.
● The school/district is not responsible for technical support of or repairs to personal devices.
● Students must have basic user knowledge and skills for the use of their device.
9. Adams 12 School District is not responsible for any data charges that your account may accrue while using
a student owned device at school.
● Students and their family will be responsible for the cost associated with purchasing any classroom
required apps. This will be communicated by the classroom teacher.
● When possible, free apps will be the first choice.
10. Hulstrom K-8 Approved Devices:
- iPad (K-2)
- Chromebook (3-8)
Student Personal Electronic Device Agreement
Hulstrom K-8, 2014-2015
(Student Name) (Student ID Number)
Student Name Date
Student Signature Date
I will help my child follow this agreement and will allow reasonable use of digital technology as long as these
rules and other family rules are followed.
Parent/ Guardian Name Date
Parent/ Guardian Signature Date
*Failure to abide by this contract may result in disciplinary action and removal of the device from classroom and
termination of the BYOD program for the student.