Paddlesurf Instructor Qualifications
Paddlesurf Instructor Qualifications
Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor
Back to top
The Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Qualification aims to enable participants to:
- Become qualified to instruct intermediate kayaking skills and lead groups of up to six people in small surf (2-3 feet/waist high). A Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor is specifically not qualified to lead and/or instruct groups on reef breaks.
- Become qualified to instruct basic kayaking skills and lead kayaking journeys on flat water with groups of up to 8 students.
- Train and Assess for the Canoeing Ireland 1, 2 and 3 Paddlesurf Skills Awards.
- Mentor Level 1, 2 and 3 Kayak Instructor trainees.
- Have an awareness of the competitive canoeing disciplines.
Training Course Outline
The Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Qualification requires that a candidate attend a registered four-day Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor training course (or a programme of similar duration), and a two-day Assessment.
Applying to attend a Training Course
Before applying to attend a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Training Course, a candidate must:
- Hold a Level 2 Kayak Instructor Qualification.
- Hold the Level 4 Paddlesurf Skills Award.
- Be registered with the Canoeing Ireland.
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Submitted your Garda vetting form.
- Have unrestricted access to a fully equipped surf kayak/waveski, personal equipment, and additional equipment as listed for a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment.
Applying for an Assessment
Before applying to attend a Level 3 Kayak Instructor Assessment, a candidate must:
- Have Maintained registration as a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor trainee.
- Have attended an approved Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Training Course or Programme as organised by the Canoeing Ireland within the 24 months period preceding a selected assessment date.
- Recorded in a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Logbook, following the completion of a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Training Course at least 25 hours of instructional experience under the supervision of at least two registered Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructors or higher.
- Recorded as part of the 25 hours supervised instructional experience on at least three different surf breaks assisting in the preparation of a group for a Level 3 Paddlesurf Skills Assessment. This group must consist of at least three participants.
- Assist on two Level 3 Paddlesurf Skills Assessments.
- Participate in three Irish Canoeing Competitions or hold a Level 3 Skills Award in another discipline.
- Possess a current and Canoeing Ireland approved First Aid Certificate (REC 3, WFA 3, or equivalent).
- Have completed an Sport Ireland approved Child Protection Awareness Workshop.
- Be recommended for assessment by a registered Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor or higher.
- Returned to the Canoeing Ireland Office a completed Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Logbook accompanied by all the pre-assessment requirements and a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment application no later than three weeks prior to a selected assessment date.
- Completed your garda vetting application.
Format of the Assessment
- During the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment candidates must satisfy the assessors that they are mature, responsible and competent to instruct, lead and control a group in small surf. In addition to teaching and personal kayaking ability, candidates must also demonstrate that they are sufficiently mature and responsible to manage a group.
- During the period of the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment personal kayaking skills and application of first aid may be assessed. It would be expected that a candidate would at least have maintained a skills level equivalent to that of the Level 4 Paddlesurf and where possible improved on this.
As part of the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment, a candidate will be expected to:
- Organise and lead an instructional session for beginners or intermediates.
- Teach any stroke, technique or rescue applicable to small surf as outlined in the Level 3 Paddlesurf Skills Award.
- Demonstrate effective group control, group rapport, and instructional ability.
- Prepare a self-appraisal of the lesson plan water session for the Assessor.
- Demonstrate techniques and skills as required by the Level 4 Paddlesurf Skills Award if requested to do so.
- Demonstrate an ability to carry out the following rescues efficiently and effectively Self Rescue, X and/or Assisted-X Rescue, All-in-Rescue, Unconscious Casualty, and Eskimo Rescue.
- Demonstrate an ability to roll competently in moving water without any prior set-up.
- Demonstrate an effective method of towing an empty kayak, a kayak with a participant who has a minor injury or illness and a kayak with a participant who has a major injury or illness.
- Present a suitable surfkayak or wave ski correctly fitted out for instruction along with other appropriate personal equipment (See List of Equipment below). It would be expected that a candidate's equipment would be of a standard consistent with the responsibilities likely to be encountered by a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor. Examination of equipment will form part of the overall assessment.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of First Aid in the canoeing environment as well as a thorough working knowledge of the cause, effect and treatment of Shock, Hypothermia, EAR, CPR and the treatment of an unconscious casualty.
- Answer questions on aspects of canoeing covered during a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Training Course.
- Attend an interview at which a self-appraisal is presented.
Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Qualification Guidelines
- It is recommended that Instructors other than the Instructor who has run the training course leading to the assessment assess a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Qualification. Notwithstanding this, a Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Qualification can only be assessed by members of the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessor Panel.
- Clear guidelines should be given in writing should a candidate fail an assessment as to the areas that need to be improved on.
- Candidates cannot depend on any assistance (material or practical) during the course of an assessment.
- No other award may be assessed at the same time as the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Qualification.
- The candidate/assessor ratio should be a maximum of 6:2
- A Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment must be assessed by a minimum of two members of the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessor Panel.
Equipment required for the Level 3 Paddlesurf Instructor Assessment
A properly equipped kayak must include:
- Rigid end loops and/or toggles
- Suitable buoyancy
- Suitable foot rest
- A kayak must be of sufficient volume to carry out all necessary safety equipment and perform any rescue as required by the Level 3 Kayak Instructor qualification
Personal canoeing equipment must include:
- Wetsuit and /or sufficient thermal clothing
- Spray Deck
- Buoyancy Aid with integrated harness
- Adequate footwear
Equipment must also include:
- Towing System
- Throw Rope
- River Knife
- Mobile phone
- First Aid Kit*
- Repair Kit
- Split Paddle
- Flask and Food
- Spare Clothes
- Bivvy Bag or equivalent
- Group Shelter
- Slings x 2
- Karabiners x 2
- Waterproof Bag or other method of keeping equipment dry
*Recommended Contents of First Aid Kit:
- Rubber gloves
- Paramedical shears
- Vent aid or resuscitation barrier device
- Notebook and pencil
- Waterproof container (to keep supplies dry)
- Roller bandages (assorted 3´sizes)
- 3´Wound dressings (assorted sizes)
- Triangular 3´bandages
- Roll of first aid tape
- Assorted plasters
- Safety pins
- Foil blanket or emergency blanket
- Sam splint
- Penlight or snap light