Executive Director, StopBadware, Inc.
StopBadware is a nonprofit anti-malware organization based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Our work educates people and protects them and their organizations from becoming victims of viruses, spyware, scareware, and other badware. Our mission is to make the web safer through the prevention, mitigation, and remediation of badware websites.
StopBadware started as a project of the renowned Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University. In 2010, it spun off as an independent nonprofit organization. Since then, it has grown its corporate partner base and launched new initiatives, including the Ads Integrity Alliance and a badware URL data sharing program.
Our original executive director will be leaving in early 2013 (on good terms!), so the Board of Directors is seeking a visionary leader who will build upon StopBadware’s success to date and strengthen the organization’s financial sustainability. We're looking for someone who can take the reins and use our network of Partners, Directors, staff, and industry contacts to effect real, measurable, positive change in the security world. We're looking for someone who knows the security industry and how it's evolved, and who wants to immerse him or herself in the problems users and companies are facing every day.
As StopBadware’s chief executive, the Executive Director will have primary responsibility for strategic leadership, organizational management, and fundraising and external relations.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop a multi-year strategic plan
- Refine metrics and other means of evaluating the organization’s success in carrying out its mission and delivering its programs and services
- Seek and develop new initiatives and revenue sources
- Serve as the Executive Committee chair of the Ads Integrity Alliance
- Supervise the organization’s staff (currently three full-time, one part-time, one intern): establish goals, communicate priorities, review performance, provide professional development opportunities
- Manage key projects, such as the implementation of the new data-sharing program
- Create and manage the organization’s budget; facilitate annual external audits
Fundraising & External Relations
- Establish relationships with key figures within companies, strategically aligned nonprofits and trade associations, and government
- Identify and solicit potential StopBadware Partners and Ads Integrity Alliance members
- Represent the organization at conferences, in multi-stakeholder groups, and in the press as a spokesperson and subject matter expert
- Engage Partners and Ads Integrity Alliance members in collaborating on, and contributing to, the achievement of StopBadware’s mission
- Demonstrated success leading an organization
- Subject matter expertise in one or more areas of information security; specific expertise related to malware preferred
- Experience with public speaking and/or public relations
- Fundraising, sales, and/or marketing experience a plus
- Strong personal commitment to StopBadware’s mission and collaborative approach
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.