CREAMY PARSNIP & SQUASH BAKE (serves 3)
butter, for greasing & several small knobs for the surface
500g parsnip, peeled and finely sliced
500g butternut squash, peeled and finely sliced
1 banana shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
300ml double cream
25g parmesan cheese
15g strong cheddar cheese
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 160degC/325degF/Gas4.
2. Rub the bottom and sides of a gratin dish with butter.
3. Place the parsnip and squash slices into the dish and toss together with the shallot, thyme and some salt and pepper. Arrange the slices randomly but fairly evenly to give a fairly flat surface, in the dish.
4. Pour over the cream and sprinkle on the cheeses. Add a dot of butter here and there on top of everything else and give an additional sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
5. Cover the dish and put into the oven to bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and replace into the oven for the remaining 15 minutes, to brown the surface. The bake is complete when a knife will insert easily into the vegetables.