Vocal Music Syllabus
Instructor : Pam Russell
Pigeon Forge High School
Course Title: Vocal Music
Room Number: 115
Text: sheet music for songs we are performing this semester, they will be provided in the class.
Required Supplies: You will need paper and folder or a notebook and a pencil.
• To establish and reinforce correct singing/musical techniques and skills.
• To recognize, understand, and apply structural elements of melody, harmony, rhythm, and form from both the standpoint of performer and listener.
• To improve the use of expressive elements such as dynamics, phrasing, and tempo.
• To develop a sense of fulfillment, responsibility, and pride in quality performance.
• To expand interest and knowledge of repertoire, performances, and artistic achievement from a variety of countries, societies, and cultures.
• To cultivate a sense of identity, pride, group spirit and improved self-image through participation in a successful performing ensemble.
1st 6 weeks:
*Dynamic and Tempo Markings
* Treble clef notation
* Bass clef Notation
* Rhythm (note and rest values)
* Voice classifications
* Vocal parts on songs for our Veterans day program and Christmas Concert
* Small groups each week working together on a song and perform for the class
*Memory song of the week (using songs from the MENC music list of songs everyone should be familiar with I choose a song for the class to learn and memorize).
2nd 6 weeks:
· Continue to work on songs with good breath control, intonation, blend and memorization.
· Start choreography for any song or medley that will have a dance incorporated.
· PERFORMANCE for Veterans day program during school MANDATORY.
· PERFORMANCE for Community night/Winterfest after school in Nov. Date TBA MANDATORY.
· Talent day this 6 weeks exam will be a filler tryout if trying out for added song in concert or a regular song if not trying out for a filler.
3rd 6 weeks:
•Get songs ready for performance.
•Practice and have choreography ready for performance
•Have Fillers and songs ready for performance
•PERFORMANCE OF CONCERT MANDATORY.
•Musical Theter terms and watch a musical
During the 3rd six weeks we will have a Concert December in the Fall Semester on a Night date TBA . It is Mandatory that all students be there. It counts 50% of the final Exam. The other 50% will be a final talent day singing a song from memory prepared as a solo, duet , trio or quartet on Exam day.
State standards for teaching and learning in this course and others are available at http://tn.gov/assets/entities/education/attachments/std_art_mus_gr_9-12_vocal.pdf
Major Projects/Field Trips: The Student will write a report on a Broadway Musical and composer. The Report must include when the composer was born and where. How they got started in the business, famous songs or works and any awards they have achieved. Give the synopsis of the musical and list of principal characters . The student will get a daily grade for the rough draft and a test grade for the written paper. They will also read the report to the class which will also be a test grade.
*Each Week there will be a chapter test on the chapter terms. 1st six weeks.
* Each week there will be a memory song of a folk song, spiritual, classic song.
*Each week 1st and 2nd six weeks a small group performance for the class.
*Veterans Day Program Performance
*Every 6 weeks test and 50% of final exam is a talent day. The student will perform for the class singing a solo, duet, trio or in a quartet. The Song must be memorized and prepared. I do give class time to work on the songs. We work on stage presence, holding a microphone, facial expression and performing with good pitch, posture, breath control and blend if in a small group.
*once a week we will write an essay or we will read an article and write a summary or write a critique of a performance.
Veterans day Perormance during school MANDATORY
Community night/Winterfest concert in NOV. date TBA MANDATORY
The Concert performance is MANDATORY and is 50% of the semester exam. The remaining 50% will be a written exam on exam day over the terms we learned this semester or possibly a performance of a monologue or skit that the students prepare. They will know by the beginning of the 3rd six weeks which we will do for this semester.
Per Sevier County Board of Education policy, daily grades will count as two-thirds of a student’s final average while test grades will count as the final one-third. Deductions will be made for unexcused absences and tardies. The semester exam will count as 20% of the student’s final grade for the course when averaged with the grades from each marking period. Progress reports are distributed at the three week point of each six weeks grading period.
SINCE THIS IS A PERFORMANCE BASED CLASS THE GRADING IS AS FOLLOWS:
33% Attendance and participation
33% daily work, quizzes, puzzles etc
34% Test and performances for class, reports, oral reports etc.
Parental Access to Instructional Materials
Pursuant to Tennessee Code 49-6-7003, parents or guardians may request access to any teaching materials, instructional materials, and other teaching aids used in the classroom as well as any tests developed or graded by the teacher. In order to facilitate this request, parents/guardians are asked to submit a request for such review via letter, email, or phone conversation prior to an established meeting for said review.