Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, June 3rd, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Diversity Postdoc Alliance Committee Meeting
When: Monday, May 25th, 6:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Stan Andrisse or Dionna Williams
Policy and Advocacy Committee Meeting
Learn about issues affecting the postdoctoral community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, May 26th, 4:00 pm
Where: Wenz Cafe
Contact: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development Committee Meeting
Join us to learn about different initiatives taken up by the committee for professional development of postdocs.
When: Thursday, May 28th, 1:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Yuejin Li and Jineta Banerjee
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew
Co-president: Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Blythe Shepard
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Johns Hopkins Medical Auxiliary Spring Meeting
Postdocs are invited to attend this free event, dinner and drinks included. Topics of discussion can be found here.
When: Thursday, June 4 at 7:00 pm
Where: Sullivan’s Steakhouse, One East Pratt Street, Suite 102, 21201
RSVP by June 1 to Carolyn Johnson
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
jobs.ac.uk offers a toolkit aimed at postdoctoral researchers considering their overall career progress and development. The toolkit offers some general starting points for reflecting on careers to date and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Personal Security Device Survey
A team of Hopkins graduate students and alumni are developing a device for personal safety on-campus and in Baltimore. They are gathering information from potential users and would really appreciate getting feedback from the Hopkins postdoc community through their short survey.
Identifying Career Pathways for PhDs in Science Survey
If you have received a PhD in any of the physical, life, engineering, computational, or social sciences between 2004 and 2014 from any institution worldwide and have ever studied, worked, or trained in the United States, you are invited to participate in a survey study conducted by Harvard Law School. The survey takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and includes questions about career interests, activities, current employment, and motivations for choosing your career.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
A free networking website for the global research community. It enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide, helping them to build their networks and explore new ideas
Complimentary ebooks on career advice
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: It’s that time of year for JHPDA elections! Please vote now for officers for the 2015 - 2016 term
The JHPDA is the oldest postdoctoral organization in the country. Representing over 1500 postdocs at Hopkins, we are an organization for postdocs, run by postdocs.
Voting for elected officer positions for the 2015 - 2016 term is now OPEN! Vote for your next Representatives now!
Click here to learn about the candidates and vote!
All SOM, SPH, and SON postdocs are eligible to vote. Please only vote once!
Candidates are listed below; please click their name to read their individual election information:
Voting will be open until Friday, May 29th.
The voting form can be found at the bottom of this page.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns regarding the election process.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Hope for Nepal Fundraising Dinner -- Last chance to buy tickets!
Join the JHPDA and OIS for an evening of Nepalese food as we raise funds and awareness for Nepal after the devastating earthquakes hit the region. All proceeds will benefit the Bir Hospital in Kathmandu. Donations of any amount are gladly accepted!
When: Wednesday, May 20, 6-8 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Tickets ($10 donation) can be purchased in advance during the following times (a limited number will be available at the door)
Monday (5/18) -- 12 pm - 1 pm, Daily Grind (MRB & SPH), Greenhouse Cafe (PCTB), Cobblestone Cafe (hospital), and Me Latte (CRB)
Monday (5/18) -- 5 pm - 6 pm, Greenhouse Cafe (PCTB)
Technology Transfer Career talk, Thurs., May 21st
If you want the best research in universities to reach the patients who need it, then technology transfer may be the career for you! Talk to experts in the field and find out what technology transfer is. Please register at http://technologytransfer.eventbrite.com (to help us estimate the food order).
When: Thursday, May 21st, 12 - 1 pm
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium (Preclinical Teaching Building).
For more info, click here. Organized by the JHPDA PDC committee.
Shuttle Social at Barcocina, Tue., May 26th
JHPDA invites you to another Shuttle Social at Barcocina in Fells point. All postdocs welcome!
When: Tuesday, May 26, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Barcocina, 1629 Thames St.
Charm City Circulator, Green line stop 105
Look for the yellow balloon!
For more information, email email@example.com
Pathways to Parenthood: Fertility Preservation 101
JHPDA Diversity Postdoc Alliance Committee along with the Black Residents Association in collaboration with Tinina Q.Cade Foundation invite you to come learn about options for fertility preservation and fertility treatment from experts in gynecology, urology, and reproductive endocrinology.
When: Wednesday, May 27, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Where: Sheikh Zayed Tower, Arcade Conference Room # 2117
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through October available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Spring 2015 Research Leadership for Postdocs
This is a series of 12 lunchtime modules. Sessions are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12:00 - 1:30 in the 1830 Building, classroom 2-108. Find session topics and dates here and register here.
- Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - Accepting applications 5/12 - 6/5
Click here for more information and here to apply.
- Developing a Tailored Resume and deciphering the job announcement
- Monday, May 18, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-108
- Applying for Federal Jobs
- Wednesday, May 20, 12:00 - 2:00 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-108
- 12:00 - 1:00 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-107, information and registration here.
- Career options for diverse PhDs
- Tuesday, June 9, 3:00 - 4:30 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-108, RSVP here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- A list of upcoming Welch Library Courses can be found here.
- Hopkins Science Writing Program
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- CIRTL Workshop on postsecondary teaching and education, 5/27 - 5/29(details)
- Teaching-as-Research Fellowships: Application deadline 6/1,More information, apply here
- Teaching Academy: Application deadline 8/1, Application here
- 33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists organized by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Applications open 5/4 link
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS. Submission deadline for oral presentation 5/15, registration 7/18 details
- Funding opportunities listed here.
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoctoral position available in the Viral Oncology Program of the Department of Oncology. (details) contact Dr. John Nicholas, email@example.com (posted 4/27)
- Postdoctoral candidates are invited for projects available in nucleic acid and protein biochemistry, protein quality control, and microRNA biology. Lab affiliated with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of the BSPH and the Department of Neuroscience of SOM. (details) (posted 4/27)
- Lecturer position in Biochemistry at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC; details) (posted 4/19)
- Two Radiology/Human genetics postdocs available (due 4/27, details)
- Bayer Early Excellence in Science Award - call for candidate nominations (due 4/30; website; full details)
- Naturejobs Career Expo 2015 (5/20, registration)
- The Foundation for Women's Wellness (FWW) Fellowship Awards (due 6/8, link)
- An NIH-funded position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to study the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori in Solnick Laboratory, Center for Comparative Medicine, UC Davis (link) (posted 5/03)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Senior Level Research Fellow Position “Causes and consequences of genome instability in human cancers”, NCI (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.