Essam El-Haddad has a heart attack.. Prison denies him medical treatment

October 18, 2016

Essam El-Haddad’s wife Dr. Mona Emam said on Sunday that her husband had a heart attack in the infamous Scorpion prison in Cairo and the prison refused to provide him medical treatment.


The family knew the news from another prisoner's’ family who was visiting their relative. The prison administration refused to provide El-Haddad’s family with any details of his condition and prevented them from visiting him.


El-Haddad has been detained for the fourth year in the notorious Scorpion prison, where six inmates died last year. Human Rights Watch recently described Scorpion as “the end of the state’s repressive pipeline” and documented abuses against El-Haddad and his son Gehad in a report entitled “We Are in Tombs’: Abuses in Egypt’s Scorpion Prison”.

For more information please contact:

Abdullah El-Haddad 

Aisha El-Haddad


Essam and Gehad El-Haddad start a hunger strike

February 17, 2016

Dr. Essam El-Haddad, national security adviser to President Morsi, and Gehad El-Haddad, former spokesperson for the Muslim Brotherhood, started a hunger strike this week in objection to mistreatment by prison officials, and the humiliation of their families in Al-Akrab maximum security prison in Cairo.

Essam El-Haddad objected when prison officials broke into his cell and insulted him, as a result to his objection they deprived him from his right to get outside his solitary cell to the prison yard for a week so he told them: “I’m 63 and close to death but I will die in dignity” and he started his strike.

He was threatened that his health won’t bear such strike but he insisted and a day later prison officials retreated. But the family later knew from their lawyer that the whole prison, including Gehad El-Haddad, went on strike against ill-treatment and the humiliating conditions of family visits.

Al-Akrab banned family visits to prisoners from January 24 to February 10 2016. When visits were resumed, only 30 families were allowed to visit on a day in a prison that hosts more than 1,000 detainees. As a result, families had to sleep in the street outside the prison gate the night before their visits to make sure they will be allowed to visit their detainees next day.

On February 14th, prison guards assaulted the families who refused to leave after being denied the right to see their relatives. Four women were beaten and briefly arrested, and many fell to the ground after being violently pushed by the guards.

Prison officials also recently closed the door sashes which were the only open slot in Al-Akrab solitary cells, and the only way prisoners managed to check if anyone of them was ill or is being assaulted. More than seven detainees died last year in Al-Akrab due to forced starvation and denial of medications or medical attention.


Gehad El-Haddad transferred to hospital due to severe anemia and malnutrition

October 5, 2015

Gehad El-Haddad was transferred to Tora prison hospital last night. His family was prevented from visiting him today at the hospital and denied the right to provide him with food or medication. Prison officials refused to give the family any details about Gehad’s condition.

Gehad, 34, lost 35 kg of his weight since March 2015 due to starvation by Al-Akrab maximum security prison where he was imprisoned. Recently he suffered from fainting due to severe anemia and denial of iron supplements. His family holds Al-Akrab prison officials and the ministry of interior accountable for his life and health.



Dr. Essam El-Haddad denied medications and family visits for the second month

Gehad El-Haddad loses 20 kg due to forced starvation

April 17, 2015


Dr. Essam El-Haddad’s family has been denied the right to visit him for over 50 days until now. They failed to know anything about him due to unofficial ban on visits in Al-Akrab maximum security prison in Southern Cairo.

The family tried to visit El-Haddad on Tuesday April 14, 2015. They waited outside the prison from 6 am till 12 pm when they found that security forces formed two lines in front of the prison then one of the prison officials told the families there won’t be visits and they should leave immediately.

The family tried to leave critical medications for Dr. Essam but the prison official refused to take them. He said that medications can only be provided by a lawyer in a special visit to the detainee (which means that the lawyer also has to issue a visiting permit – which takes at least a week - then wait for another 6 hours to be able to get the medication inside the prison with no guarantee that they will reach the prisoner. In previous cases, medications were stolen by the prison officials and brought to the prison’s pharmacy instead).

Prison officials also refused to allow the family to deposit any money for Dr. Essam to enable him to buy food from the prison’s shop. The family has been denied the right to provide outside food for him for two months till now.

The prison administration provides detainees with very little amounts of food, just enough to keep them alive. Gehad El-Haddad lost 20 kg of his weight due to food deprivation last month as his wife reported in her last visit to him on April 4, 2015.


Gehad El-Haddad sentenced to life in prison for speaking to foreign journalists

April 12, 2015

Yesterday Gehad El-Haddad, spokesperson of the Muslim Brotherhood, was sentenced to life imprisonment in case 317 for the year 2013 known as “the media trial”.

Fourteen defendants received death sentences while thirty seven including Gehad were sentenced to life in prison. Among the convicted are 15 journalists.

According to the case evidence list (pp. 25 – 26, excerpts below in Arabic), the evidence against Gehad is that he “conducted three interviews for the New York Times, an American TV channel (PBS), and a Spanish newspaper (elmundo)”.

In the NYT interview, Gehad said that the MB group came “close to annihilation once under Nasser, but this is worse.” He also added that the crisis “is creating a new tier of youth leaders” and that this “happened at Rabaa.”

El-Mundo published a lengthy interview with Gehad in Spanish in which he said “we remain committed to non-violence and will continue the peaceful struggle to restore democracy.” He also added that he cannot give in to offers that exchange the freedom of the country with personal safety and that he “would rather die for the country he wishes to live under the tyranny of a dictator.”

 “I’m a wanted man for saying my opinion and for standing politically in opposition to the coup” these were Gehad’s statements to the PBS. He added “They’re trying to wipe the existent, decapitate the Muslim Brotherhood. And they can’t do that. It’s an idea. You can’t kill an idea”.

Gehad’s family will appeal the verdict.

Page 25-26 from the Evidence List:

p. 25 evidence list.jpg

p. 26 evidence list.jpg


El-Haddad rejects allegations on his meeting with Obama published in Al-Masry Al-Youm’s interview with Mohammed Fahmy, AJE freed journalist

March 22, 2015

Dr. Essam El-Haddad, President Morsi foreign relations advisor, totally rejects the claims that was published on March 11, 2015 in Al-Masry Al-Youm interview with Mohammed Fahmy, Al-Jazeera English freed journalist.

The interview claimed that El-Haddad asked President Obama for advice on the control of armed forces and Obama allegedly promised that he will send him a file from the Pentagon when El-Haddad arrives back to Egypt.

Dr. Essam El-Haddad confirmed to his family on March 15, 2015 that his meeting with President Obama which took place on December 4, 2012 did not cover such topics. He also explained that he barely spoken with Mohammed Fahmy, since both of them was held in solitary confinement in Al-Akrab maximum security prison.

El-Haddad lawyers demanded Al-Masry Al-Youm to publish a correction. If the newspaper refrained, his family will pursue with due legal actions.

While these claims were circulating last week, El-Haddad and detainees in Al-Akrab prison were deprived from all their belongings including clothes, medications and any food or equipment they had. They were also denied anytime outside their solitary cells.

This week prison officials prevented families from visiting the detainees or delivering food and medication.  El-Haddad’s family tried to explain that his mediations are critical for preventing heart failure, stroke and attacks. The officials replied satirically “he will be transferred to hospital”; the place where one of the detainees died last year.

El-Haddad family holds prison officials responsible for any deterioration in his health.


December 14, 2014

The defense of Dr. Essam El-Haddad and his son Gehad El-Haddad in the espionage case started yesterday and will resume today.

In previous sessions, the prosecution demanded the execution of all defendants.

Allegations against Gehad

Beside the usual charge of affiliating with an outlawed group, Gehad is accused with “communicating with the West against Egypt’s national security” according to case documents.

The sole evidence for this charge is Gehad’s visit to Norway among an Egyptian multi-party delegation in April 2011. The visit was organized by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and aimed to “promote cultural exchange between youth and mutual knowledge and understanding” according to a statement issued by the Ministry. It included visiting the Norwegian parliament, universities and think tanks.

The Egyptian delegation included “young Egyptian men and women from different political backgrounds” as the Ministry explained. Among the delegation were activists from both Hamdeen Sabahi and El-Baradie Presidential campaigns at the time. But only Gehad was accused with espionage.

Accusations against Dr. Essam

Dr. Essam El-Haddad is facing three main charges. In the three of them, the prosecution failed to bring to court any evidence supporting its claims against Dr. El-Haddad.

He is accused with “revealing state defense secrets” for using his official job email at the presidency in sending and receiving emails. The “defense secrets” are a number of reports that El-Haddad received from the press office of the presidency.  The reports are news updates and consisted of clips from newspapers.

The second charge is financing terrorism by using global charities like Islamic Relief, a UK-based relief organization whose finances are monitored by the British government. The organization was honored twice by the UK government for transparency in financial reports and accounts. Yesterday, the BBC reported that Islamic Relief was cleared by an independent audit from funding terror in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

Dr. El-Haddad is also accused with others with providing a Bank in Gaza with 6 billion US dollars in June 2013. Egypt didn’t have such amount of money at the time and it never transferred a figure like that to Gaza throughout its history. Moreover, international money transfers of more than 10,000 US dollars are closely monitored by the US government and such amount can’t pass without a record.

The rest of charges are concerned with conspiring with several countries including Iran, Israel and others. The prosecution claimed that Dr. El-Haddad met with the head of the Iranian revolutionary guards, which he didn’t. In fact, Dr El-Haddad had previously complained the Times to the Press Complaints Commission in the UK for publishing false news claiming such meeting occurred. Beside, all of Dr. El-Haddad meetings are recorded and archived in the Egyptian Presidency and the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they are also attended by Egyptian ambassadors. The records include nothing against him.

Conspiring with Israel and Western countries was based on Dr. El-Haddad communication with both official and non-official foreign organizations. Among these is his participation in a Europe/Arab World dialogue project that was organized by the United Nations Alliance of Civilization and a UK-based think tank.  The project hosted many events in Egypt which in many occasions were attended by representatives from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Dr. El-Haddad also attended similar activities in Spain organized by the Centre for Humanitarian dialogue - HD centre - which specializes in conflict resolution and peacemaking. But the prosecution viewed such activities as “conspiring acts”.

Dr. Essam El-Haddad was forcibly detained in the Republican Guards club for 5 months after the coup then he was transferred to a solitary cell in Al-Akrab maximum security prison. Like President Morsi, his detention in a military facility is illegal and is considered a crime in Egyptian and international laws.

Gehad Inhumane Detention

Gehad was arrested with no legal basis on September 17, 2013. He was sent to solitary confinement in "Leman Torra" prison. He was later transferred to a solitary cell in Al-Akrab “The Scorpion” maximum security prison.

His cell was 180cm*200cm without ventilation and with lots of insects. He had a hole in the ground of his cell as his toilet. For the first 15 days he wasn't able to go outside the cell or even see the light. The unfinished interior of the cell creates a very humid environment with no air circulation whatsoever. During these days, he was only given little amount of cucumber and tomatoes as his food. His family was not able to see him or deliver him any clothes or food for 11 days. In the first five days he was denied books, paper and pen, even the Qura’an. He is still denied books until the moment.

He is falsely facing two trials known as the espionage case and Rabaa operating room case. He is prevented from accessing his personal assets. In violation of law, he was investigated at his place of imprisonment.

In many occasions including on January 25, 2014, and in the beginning of December 2014, his belongings were confiscated and he was prevented from having any of his personal clothes although fitting the prison specifications. He was supposed to get new prison winter clothes but instead he was given old torn light clothes. He isn't allowed to have any personal equipment in his cell. He now sleeps on the floor without mattress or pillows and with only one light cover. He was also denied shoes or slippers for a while.

In Al-Akrab prison he was prevented from any family or lawyer visit for the first 15 days without showing any reasons. Starting from February 12, 2014 his family is only able to see him from behind a glass barrier using a monitored phone.

Besides material problems, he faces a very bad manner of prison guards and officers. His imprisonment conditions do not meet local or international standards including humane conditions, judiciary conditions or jail conditions.

He is denied the rights to hug his children or even to see their images through the glass barrier. His 2-year old son, Ali, spent more than half of his age away from his father. The family was worried that Ali might even not recognize his father’s face.

Dr. Essam illegal Detention

Dr. Essam El-Haddad has been forcibly disappeared without any legal basis since the July 3, 2013 military coup when he was arbitrarily detained with other members of the presidential team in the Republicans Guards Club in Cairo. No charges were brought against him during that period.  His personal effects, including personal computer and mobile phone, were taken away on July 3, 2013 and – according to the Republican Guards –were delivered to the prosecution in October 2013.

His family informed the authorities of his disappearance and demanded to know his location and reason for his detention. They organized a press conference  in the Lawyers’ Syndicate on August 7, 2013. They also sent official communications to the Ministry of Interior and the General Prosecutor including telegraph No. 831/500 and registered mails with return receipts dated Thursday December 12, 2013. No answers were received.

El-Haddad’s family received a minute-long phone call from him on speakerphone approximately a month after the coup in which he said he was fine.  Later, he called and asked his family to deliver white clothes for him at Abdein Presidential Palace where an army general received the clothes. The family – along with the families of other detained aides – started delivering clothes and receiving laundry from that time on.

By mid-August, 2013, his family started receiving letters from him. In a letter he wrote on September 18, 2013, he told his family that Al-Watan’s September 11th account of his detention location - the Communications Building at the Republican Guards Club in Masr Al-Gadeda  - was correct. That report included the text of investigations with Ahmed Abdelatty – another of the presidential aides who were detained with El-Haddad right after the coup.

On September 25, 2013 El-Haddad’s family – along with the families of other aides held with him - was allowed to visit them at the Republican Guards Club. The families were instructed to keep the visits undisclosed if they were to be continued. The visits continued every two weeks until the end of October, and weekly thereafter. The last visit was on Friday, December 20, 2013, a day before he was transferred to prison.

On November 25, 2013, a number of newspapers published that El-Haddad was prevented from accessing his personal assets. On January 8, 2014, a government committee announced that the assets of three companies owned by El-Haddad will be frozen and confiscated. None of the three firms is actually owned by El-Haddad.

Human rights organizations including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have repeatedly called for his immediate release and to be granted his full rights in July, August, November and December 2013 (see below for links).

On December 1, 2013, Human Rights Watch (HRW) asked the Ministries of Interior and Defense to disclose his whereabouts and the reason for his detention. On the same day, the spokesperson of the Ministry of Interior told Daily News Egypt that El-Haddad is being held in Tora prison. Two days later, officials from the military, the Interior Ministry and National Security Agency told AP that El-Haddad is held at a “secret military facility”. They also told AP that he was under investigation, which clearly was not true.

The UN Human Rights Council’s Working Group on Arbitrary Detention adopted an opinion on December, 2013 (No. 39/2013) which confirmed that El-Haddad along with other presidential aides were held incommunicado in the Republican Guards with no legal basis: “they have neither been charged with a concrete offense nor have been brought before a court of justice”. And that these conditions constitute “arbitrary detention” under international law, and would make it impossible for a fair trial. The working group called for their immediate release and to for them to be compensated for the material and moral damage (the opinion may be requested by email).

On December 21, 2013, El-Haddad, who is 60 years old, was transferred to a solitary cell in Al-Akrab “The Scorpion” high-security prison with no charges, without appearance before the prosecution, and without an arrest warrant. On arrival to prison his belongings were confiscated and, to date, have not been delivered to his family. Some news media – including state-owned Al-Ahram - quoted government officials claiming that they arrested El-Haddad in an apartment in Cairo. His family has filed a complaint against the editors of Al-Ahram for publishing false news.

Two days later, on December 23, 2013, the prosecution referred his issue to court without notifying him of the charges or giving him the right to defend himself. In addition, the prosecutor’s decision to refer his case to court stated that El-Haddad was a fugitive despite the fact that at that time he was held in Al-Akrab prison.

Dr. El-Haddad continues to be denied the basic legal rights guaranteed to any detainee under Egyptian or international laws, including being notified of the charges against him and the right to legal representation.

The general prosecution also refuses to allow official visits by his family members or lawyers.

Since his arrival at Al-Akrab prison, new procedures were enforced on all visits to the high-security prison. Detainees can no longer meet their families in a single room. They can only meet separated by a glass barrier, can only speak through a monitored phone and the conversations are recorded. Despite protests by both the detainees and their families to object to the procedures, the prison administration continues these severe restrictions.

In addition to the denial of his rights, the conditions of El-Haddad’s detention are inhumane. He is held in solitary confinement in a cell that fails to meet any sort of standard of acceptability. On Saturday 25th January 2014, his cell was raided by the prison officials who took everything including his clothes, his watch, food, water, even covers and mattresses. He was only left with the clothes on him. Currently, no food, clothes, pen or paper or other equipment are allowed in.

His son Gehad El-Haddad, detained since September 2013, was transferred to the same prison but in another section on January 25th 2014. They are only 10 meters away and yet separated with four gates.  The gates consisted of bars only so detainees from different sections could see others through the gaps. When the prison officials recognized that, the gaps were filled in with steel, so that detainees – including father and son – cannot see each other even by chance.

His family visited him in the prison for the first time on February 1, 2014. He asked them about his case, his charges, and the lawyers. He was not informed of anything since he has not met anyone except for his jailers since the coup whether in the prison or the Republican Guards.

The day after their visit, on February 2, 2014, the families of Al-Akrab detainees were informed by prison administration that visits will be suspended for the remainder of the month. No reason was given for the suspension.

Throughout this ordeal, there has clearly been no rule of law or due process and the concepts of human rights or international standards are entirely unknown to the current regime. The detainees and their families have been subject to an endless string of arbitrary and cruel actions by the regime.

On February 11, 2014, news outlets reported that the government has frozen the assets of the Egyptian Branch of Islamic Relief Worldwide claiming it is owned by El-Haddad which is untrue. El-Haddad left the organization in 2009 after his resignation as Chairmen of the board of trusties.

Without being investigated, the first session of Dr. Essam El-Haddad trial was held on February 16, 2014 on allegations that he – along with President Morsi and 35 others – “conspired with foreign organizations to commit terrorist acts in Egypt”. The case has been dubbed the “espionage case”.

The defense team demanded the removal of the soundproof glass cage where the defendants stand, so that defendants could hear what is going on in the court hall and communicate freely with the judge, otherwise the defense would walk out from the session.

The session was suspended for half an hour then resumed in the absence of the defense team. The court was adjourned to Sunday February 23, 2014, and the judge decided to appoint 10 other lawyers for the 36 defendants.

According to the defense team the court order has no legal validity since the defendants already have authorized lawyers and the defense team has not withdrawn from the case.

The state television aired edited shots from the session where El-Haddad appeared in the glass cage.

Dr. El-Haddad was and is still denied the right to legal counsel, and this the first time he appears before a court. It was also the first time he meets his son Gehad since the July 3, 2013 coup. Gehad is also accused in the same case.

El-Haddad’s family was prevented from attending the session, and is still prevented from visiting him in the prison.

Until the 3rd of March 2014, three session of El-Haddad’s trial were held. Two of the defendants demanded the change of the judge due to “… adoption of a prior opinion towards the defendants,  and undermining the legal guarantees for a fair trial under Egyptian law including putting the defendants in a soundproof glass cage during the trial, and violating the right of public hearing".

El-Haddad’s family managed to visit him on March 3, 2014 after a month of denying him visits. The prison administration prevented them from delivering him any sort of dry food - including bread - or cleaning tools or materials, as well as preventing his family from using a pen to write his requests during the visit, while El-Haddad is still denied paper and pen since his detention.

The prison administration also denied the family any privacy during the visit although it was through the glass barrier and the monitored phone. They insisted on keeping the door of the visiting room open while prison staff waited outside the room.

On March 5th 2014, Dr. El-Haddad was allowed the first visitation from lawyers after 9 months of detention. He was visited by two of the defense team in the espionage case for only 15 minutes. The visit was attended by an officer in violation for the defendant’s right for a private communication with the lawyer.

On the second day, March 6, 2014, the lawyers were informed that family and lawyers’ visits to El-Haddad and other defendants in the espionage case are suspended for the second time with no reason and for an unspecified period.

Dr. El-Haddad remains 23 hour locked down in his cell with the outside time sometimes less than an hour. He is being kept in complete isolation from the outside world with no information at all except the bits and pieces of information that he receives from his family in the visitations that are now limited to every month. No newspapers, books, or contact with anyone.

On April 2, 2014, the prosecution extended its ban of family and lawyers visits to Dr. Essam El-Haddad for another month after banning it for most of March.

“I was kidnapped on July 3, 2013 and held in the Communications Building in the Republican Guards Club. The Republican Guard handed me to Al-Akrab maximum security prison on December 21 2013. And I haven’t seen anyone from outside the prison since then. This is a perfect crime. And the prosecution didn’t investigate it yet”. This was Dr. El-Haddad words to the court in April 16 session of the “espionage trial”.

Three sessions were held in El-Haddad’s trial on the 16th, 22nd, and 28th of April, 2014. During all three sessions, the court refused to allow El-Haddad to communicate with his lawyers. They neither allowed El-Haddad to get outside the sound-proof glass cage, nor allowed his lawyers to step in. El-Haddad was also denied the right to be visited by his lawyers in prison or communicating with them by any other means.

El-Haddad confirmed to the court that he wasn’t subject to any kind of investigation since his detention. And that he is still denied the right to be visited by his family.

One of the lawyers filed a formal complaint to the court on the enforced disappearance of El-Haddad and other members of the presidential team. This is the third complaint in this regard and none of them have been investigated by the public prosecutor.

The court also ordered that the prison’s hospital conduct a medical examination of Dr. El-Haddad and other defendants. This raised questions on El-Haddad’s health in light of the inhumane conditions of his detention and denial of access to proper medication. El-Haddad takes five critical drugs daily, and his family has not been allowed provide them regularly to him because of the visits ban.

The examination was not conducted as of the April 22 court session, so the defense asked that El-Haddad be transferred to a government hospital to get his treatment since the prison’s hospital with its limited facilities doesn’t provide the defendant with the proper treatment. The court has yet to respond to this request.

During the April 16 session, a number of the defendants filed a complaint to the court against the Assistant to the Minister of Interior for prison facilities and a number of officers at Al-Akrab maximum security prison accusing them of torturing them in a way that leads to "slow murder". They demanded investigation into the facts that they are being held in their cells for 23 hours a day, placed in discipline cells which are not made for long detention, provided with small quantities of food that are not suitable for human consumption , and are denied visits by their families.

In the April 16 session the court unsealed the 14 exhibits of the case. Among them was the name of a drug for cold and flu symptoms written on a piece of paper, personal effects for an individual who is not accused in the case, photos published in state and private newspapers in 2011 among the work of a journalist who is accused in the case, and books available in public libraries, in addition to mobile phones without SIM cards and which were not associated to any of the defendants.

The court refused again to allow El-Haddad to speak with any of the lawyers after the exhibits were unsealed although it is the defendant’s right to speak with his lawyers after such step.

The court did order that the defendants be granted the right to visits by their families in the prison according to the prison’s regulation. When El-Haddad family tried to visit him, the prosecution refused and said this is due to ‘the prison’s regulations’ as mentioned in the court order.

Finally Al-Akrab prison administration, in which El-Haddad is being held, recently allowed prisoners to use paper, pens, and textbooks. But after this decision El-Haddad’s family was prevented from delivering him paper, pen, food, or covers even without visiting him.

At the April 22 hearing the judge ordered a publication ban in the case, which further threatens the transparency of the trial.

That the charges against El-Haddad are entirely without merit should be self-evident. Among the allegations El-Haddad is facing is “revealing defense secrets to a foreign country”. Dr. El-Haddad’s visits outside Egypt were attended by Egyptian ambassadors and copies of meetings’ minutes are kept at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This was recently confirmed by the current Egyptian Ambassador to Washington in a press interview.  The prosecutor has apparently pointed to a number of reports claimed to be sent via the email Dr. El-Haddad told his family that these were reports on media coverage and consisted of clips from newspapers.

In light of the arbitrary arrest and detention, the lack of credible charges against him, the impossibility of a fair trial and the continued violations of international legal and human rights standards, El-Haddad family demands his immediate release, for all charges against him to be dropped, and for compensation for the damage caused to him.

For more information please contact:

Abdullah El-Haddad 

Aisha El-Haddad

Links to Human rights organizations reports on Dr. Essam and Gehdad case:

UN Human Rights Council’s Working Group on Arbitrary Detention:

Opinions not publicly published yet but could be requested through


Amnesty International

"Egypt: Deposed President and Aides Incommunicado" (Index Number: MDE 12/040/2013), 26 July 2013:

"Egypt: Further information: Morsi and team’s whereabouts still unknown" (Index: MDE 12/041/2013),2 August 2013:

"Egypt: Further information: Morsi's aides detained, facing charges" (Index: MDE 12/042/2013),7 August 2013:

"Egypt: Further information: Lawyers denied access" (Index: MDE 12/065/2013), 8 November 2013:

Briefing, Egypt: Arrests of Muslim Brotherhood members and supporters (Index: MDE 12/035/2013), 17 July2013:

"Egypt: Morsi must be brought to court and granted access to lawyer", 3 November 2013:

“Egypt: Further information: Morsi and his aides to stand trial”, 14 February 2014: