General Body Meeting

January 22, 2017

9:00PM-12:00AM, Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. EVP Meeting
  2. SCUE Collaborations
  3. Penn Recreation Associate Director Search Committee
  4. Provost and President Ad-Hoc Committee Undergraduate Representatives
  5. PSG Steering
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UC Steering
  2. Next UA Steering
  1. UA Report
  1. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Funding Steering Committee
  2. 2017-2018 UA Budget Allocation
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Attendance
  2. External Seats
  3. Project Updates Timeline
  4. Website
  1. Student Life
  1. Completion Reports
  1. IFC Scholarships
  1. Social Justice
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Name Tags for Bon Appetit Members
  1. Academic Initiatives
  2. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Meatless Mondays Programming
  1. External Seats
  2. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. EVP Meeting
  1. Cabinet met with Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli on Friday, 1/20. We discussed creating a leave of absence resource website, how the university handles students as they start to take a leave (including extending PennCard access to university buildings), performing arts spaces available on campus, creating a new MERT headquarters, and the status of the Fresh Grocer.
  1. SCUE Collaborations
  1. This week I met with Shawn Srolovitz, Chair External of SCUE, to discuss initiatives that the UA and SCUE can pursue together over the course of the semester. Our priorities are going to be expanding half-credit courses, making pass/fail more flexible, and streamlining the schools’ leave of absence policies and resources. We are going to introduce these topics to the Council of Undergraduate Deans during our February meeting and discuss them in-depth during the March meeting.  
  1. Penn Recreation Associate Director Search Committee
  1. Over winter break, Kyle O’Neil was chosen to serve as the undergraduate student representative on the Penn Recreation search advisory committee to help fill the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Recreation and Wellness position.
  1.  Provost and President Ad-Hoc Committee Undergraduate Representatives
  1. At the end of last semester I worked with the NEC to select students to nominate to the Provost’s new committee on off-campus student groups and rape culture. The Provost’s office chose Michelle Xu and Christopher D’Urso, College junior and Chair of the University Honor Council, to fill the undergraduate seats. Very pleased that these two were chosen to improve Penn!
  1. PSG Steering
  1. Riad and I met with the other PSG branch leaders at PSG Steering today, 1/22. We discussed PSG week plans and the upcoming State of the School.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. UC Steering
  1. Last Wednesday, Kat and I met with UC Steering to approve minutes from last University Council on November 30th. We also discussed the agenda for the next University Council meeting, which will be on Wednesday February 1st.
  1. Next UA Steering
  1. Next Steering will be this Tuesday at 7:30pm in JMHH F55. We will be meeting with Malik Washington from the Penn Violence Prevention office.

UA Report

  1. Member of the Week. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1. Funding Steering Committee
  1. The FSA reconvened on Sunday, 1/22/17, to discuss the following agenda items:
  1. How to improve the Common Funding Application
  2. Funding Calendar
  3. Alternative Funding Sources
  4. Change for Community
  5. Adding new groups to the CFA
  1. 2017-2018 UA Budget Allocation
  1. In the upcoming weeks, the Budget Committee will be meeting with the various PSG branches, MERT, and Penn Labs to start discussing their annual budget allocation for the 2017-2018 academic year.  If you have any particular budget concerns or questions, please let us know.  

Secretary’s Report

  1. Attendance
  1. There will be 9 GBMs for the semester and since there are two budget meetings that count for double attendance, which is the equivalent of having 11 GBMs. This means that you may not miss more than 3.5 GBMs. The last GBM is on March 26th. There will be 9 committee meetings for the semester with the last one taking place the week of March 20th. Thus, you may not miss more than 2 committee meetings.
  1. External Seats
  1. External Seats updates are meant to only be presented at the GBM if they are relevant to a UA project. Another situation where an external seat update would be appropriate is when suggestions for a major undertaking need input from the UA. Other then that, you do not need to give updates to the whole body for every external seat meeting, but should share them at your committee meetings.
  1. Project Update Timeline
  1. Cabinet is going to be meeting at 4:30 on Thursdays this semester. If you plan on having an update for the GBM please let your directors know that you are working on one before then so it can be discussed during the meeting. As for the actual project update, please get them to your committee directors by 2 PM on Friday.
  1. Website
  1. I just wanted some feedback and see if there are things that should be added to the website. Are there resources that should be added on the website that are not there? Should we put current projects that are being undertaken under the committee tab?  Is the website accessible?


Student Life


Completion Reports

IFC Scholarships 

Authored by: Max Grove 

The PanHellenic Council has an umbrella scholarship for members of their organizations, but the Interfraternity Council does not. After emailing Dylan Love, former IFC VP for Recruitment and New Member Education, and David Moore, former IFC President, it was determined that an umbrella scholarship for IFC fraternities is not feasible or necessary. Due to the large number of fraternities, it would be hard to equally distribute funds. In addition, many fraternities already have dedicated scholarships and funds internally.


Social Justice


Completion Reports

Name Tags for Bon Appetit Employees

Authored By: Natasha Menon

In an effort to foster a friendlier community in the dining halls at Penn, I had reached out to Pamela Lampitt, Director of Hospitality Services, and Stephen Scardina, Resident District Manager of Bon Appetit, to get name tags for the Bon Appetit employees. Mr. Scardina responded that while name tags are one of the items that employees are most likely to lose or misplace, he has ordered 500 new name tags for the employees to wear.


Academic Initiatives



Dining, Sustainability, and Facilities


Completion Reports

Meatless Mondays Programming

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil and Dan Hayes

After Cabinet’s October 12th meeting with Barbara Lea-Kruger (Director of Communications and External Relations), Marie Witt (VP of Business Services), Michael Randolph (Associate Director of Penn Transit), and Doug Berger (Executive Director of Business Services-Residential and Hospitality), Penn Dining began planning an expansion of Meatless Mondays for the Spring semester in conjunction with the Dining Advisory Board. Following the meeting, a marketing campaign was designed in conjunction with the Penn Vegan Society and the other stakeholders on the Dining Advisory Board. Meatless Mondays will begin tomorrow, January 23rd.


External Seats



Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. EVP Meeting
  1. Kat- It was a productive meeting. You can read it on the report.
  1. Krone-Performing arts space?
  1. It is an ongoing issue. There is a new position being created for the associated director of the arts.
  1. Calvary- Updates on Fresh Grocer?
  1. There is a conflict whether Fresh grocer lease was terminated and they didn't renew the lease before the deadline. There is no timeline but it could be years before fresh grocer is replaced.
  2. Nile- What will they during the period?
  1. What they are going to do is run a shuttle program, but we will help them in this process
  1. Tunmise- Any updates on tuition?
  1. Eric and I have been working that increasing the family’s contribution is a big challenge to many families. We are talking to the chair of the trustee committee on budget and finance. If you want to get involved please let us know. Even though the school gives out financial aid, that money from other students who pay full tuition.
  1. SCUE Collaborations
  1. Kat- We have been working a lot on course costs and we are continuing to work with them on that.
  2. Calvary- Can you talk about half credit courses
  1. I know Nile and AI is working on student led courses. But we are looking at professor led half credit courses. We are looking at 1 hour of class and 1 hour of HW
  1. Kaylee- There is no half credit drop down on pennintouch so having that would be good
  1. Penn Recreation Associate Director Search Committee
  1. Kyle is on the search committee
  2. Eric- I think its very interested that wellness for athletics is blank. Do they also do recreation or is it wellness of recreation?
  1. Kyle- their role is to oversee penn rec as a whole while penn athletics deals with varsity teams.
  2. Eric- I think there might need to be another position.
  1. Provost and President Ad-Hoc Committee Undergraduate Representatives
  1. I nominated 5 students and they chose Chris and Michelle. They will work to make sure other students are involved.
  1. Michelle- The only update I have is that we are meeting on Feb 2 from 2-3 pm
  2. Calvary- Has the task force been finalized?
  1. I was hoping they would take more people but it is finalized and that's all they took  
  1. PSG Steering
  1. PSG week and state of the school. Its right after the Amy Gutmann meeting. There will be a social on the Thursday of the week. You get assigned with randoms.
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UC Steering
  1. Kat and I approved the minutes from last meeting. It was also an open forum meeting. One person wanted to make election day a national holiday. The other one was expanding resources for people recovering from addiction. Next UC will be next week on Wednesday
  2. Tunmise- For Gutmann, they have a shortage with tuesday and thursday. But election day is on a monday so why would that be a problem
  3. Elena- Why is this a problem like can't we do what we want?
  1. It has to do with accreditation. To give out diploma
  2. Eric- It looks really bad if penn is not accredited
  3. Kat-  Some jobs require
  1. Next UA Steering
  1. Malik washington will be there at Steering this coming Tuesday.
  1. UA Report
  1. Member of the Week
  1. Dante
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Funding Steering Committee
  1. We had meeting for the FSA. the whole purpose was to discuss how to standardize the process. We went over the funding calendar. We talks about the different places that students can get funding. 2 new groups joining FSA.
  2. Jason- Will you be able to report that next GBM?
  1. Michelle- this week we are
  1. 2017-2018 UA Budget Allocation
  1. Penn Labs funding should be re-evaluating the budget.
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Attendance
  1. There will be 9 GBMs but since 2 count twice, there will technically be 11 GBMs. there will also be 9 committee meetings, so for that you can miss up to 2 committee meetings.
  1. External Seats
  1. Please look in the agenda. All external seat updates do not need to go in the agenda.
  1. Project Updates Timeline
  1. Kat- If you are working on a project and you are working on it. Please try to ge it on the agenda so we can make progress on it.
  1. Website
  1. Krone- so one thing was getting head shots and that would be good
  2. Jordan- I think that should be projects that would be completed or can be completed. There are some projects that people might not be favorable
  3. Natasha- completed should be put
  4. Jason- Can we make the link more accessible? Can we get to know the responses?
  1. Jay- we can create a new link
  2. Kat- There have been 8 responses. There was a feedback from AI so that will be brought up during committee.  
  3. Student Life
  1. Completion Reports
  1. IFC Scholarships
  1. Elena- aren't there the same amount of males and females
  1. No they aren't
  1. Krone- Is there anything that can be done through OFSL
  2. Kaylee- I just came from a SK meeting and we talked about it. We talked about our dues and then we talked about Penn’s dues. Sometimes you wouldn't even know the the extra fee that Penn charges, so we should definitely do something that makes people more aware
  1. Kat- i think it's very difficult for someone to be serious about rushing if they don't know how much aid they will get. It might be difficult from the greek life point, but still we can do something.
  2. Riad- Why aren't the dues public
  1. Kaylee- Pan-Hell gives out a brochure every year and they have the due for each house. Some houses have the due price that includes the Penn price.
  1. Kanishka- There are some fraternities that spend an absurd amount of money and there should be something to curb that and cap the limit. There is not a lot of transparency
  2. Aren- Since penn gives on campus money, we can have a match process. The process would be a lot more equal if financial aid students could match the fraternities.
  3. Elena- I have heard that if there is an issue as dues, it can be seen as negatively and might be cut because they wouldn't be able to afford it.
  4. Taylor- we set our dues on a semester basis. That is based on the needs of the fraternities in a given semester, so that is hard to offer a specific percentage. Sometimes it would be the richer brothers paying for the others
  5. Justin- Dues also pay for your internal events. Fraternities like my fraternities is very diverse socioeconomically. My best friend is the president of IFC, so i will talk to him after about this.
  6. Sam S- If you like a project come out of this, I have a meeting with FSAB, fraternity and sorority advisory board.
  7. Samara- I was a person who check the dues before I rushed. It has the current semester dues. It is like tution though so it can change. Maybe we can do like trifolds or something.
  1. Social Justice
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Name Tags for Bon Appetit Members
  1. Krone- you might want to do features on the website
  2. Kat- Georgetown does features for staff so we can do something similar
  3. Gabbi- its takes a lot of student effort and especially it takes a lot of student efforts
  4. Natasha- I wonder if we can do something through the UA
  5. Jordan- I don't know how feasible this is but in the beginning the students could be introduced to the staff at the Quad gates.
  6. Kaylee- Maybe do humans of Penn but for faculty members.
  1. Academic Initiatives
  2. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Meatless Mondays Programming
  1. Kyle- It will start this Monday
  1. Krone- there posters are great.
  1. External Seats
  2. Communications