Robotics Team 3023 Parent F.A.Q.
What are the Benefits?
- Students gain some very impressive skills in a wide variety of areas
- There are over 30 Million Dollars in Scholarships.
- Colleges are looking for this on Admissions
- Students meet College Professors & Professionals in the Field they wish to enter.
- There are internships you can apply for via FIRST Corporate Sponsors.
- But the really benefit is the experience and the training for real life.
Is there a cost?
- There is a $150 fee that goes to the Booster club, this pays for the Team T-Shirt, food and travel to one regional and snacks during build season.
- Checks can be made to Team 3023 Booster Club.
How do I know what is going on?
- I communicate to the students using Remind. Many parents have signed up for it so that they get the same information as the students.
- There is a calendar on the Team Website on the Team Information Tab.
- It is kept up to date and has info on all of our events for the rest of the year including the two regionals.
- I try to put details in the description of the events on the calendar.
Is there a form we need to sign?
- Yes, there is an online system that FIRST uses to register students and get parent’s permission. You will receive an email from the system that you will need to confirm your child’s participation.
Are there any volunteer requirements or other commitments?
- Many coaches require parents to volunteer a certain number of hours...as a parent...well...let’s just say Team 3023 will not require you to “volunteer”
- Is there a bare minimum? :) yes
- Pick up your kid on time (during build season we end at 5:30)
- Come to our Competition on Saturday April 8th, preferably with a Fan Shirt
- If you would like to do more we are happy to have your help.
- You are always welcome to come in and see what your child is working on, it is often very impressive.
- Come in and learn about the way FIRST works and how the games are played
How can I help support the team?
- Help with Transportation and driving to Events
- Help with the fundraising by asking your company
- Food can help on some of our longer days (see calendar)
- Come in and mentor one of the subteams
- Financing, Fundraising & Sponsors
- Website & Writing
- Outreach Events & Cheer!
- Team Organization & Communication
- Electrical & Build Team
When do you meet/Practice?
- We meet Every Thursday from the beginning of School until early January.
- Starts with Kickoff (saturday Jan 7th)
- Kickoff is a day long even and always on a saturday.
- Then we meet everyday afterschool from 2:30 - 5:30 until Bag day (Feb 21st)
- If there is no school then we are practicing. We will likely have at least 1 saturday practice during build season
- After we bag up Jarvis we go back to once or twice a week.
- We then move into preparing for Competition.
When/where are the competitions?
- Robotics Regionals are 3 day long events.
- Day 1 (Thurs) is not for spectators, teams work on Robots and pass inspection.
- Day 2 (Fri) is more fun to watch, this is the Qualification matches
- Day 3 (Sat) this is the best day to come. The morning is the final qualification matches and the afternoon is the elimination rounds.
- We have two Regional competitions this year.
- The 1st is March 23rd - 25th in Milwaukee WI.
- We will be staying in a hotel for that event.
- We will not be able to take the entire team.
- Our 2nd is April 6th - 8th at the U of M in Williams Arena.
- We would like to see all of our parents at this event on Saturday Cheering for Team 3023.