#143 - Into the Nexus: “Stop, Drop, and Rag”
• Garrett • Kyle
Our Patrons support Into the Nexus at Patreon.com/ITN. If you enjoy the show consider supporting it with 25 cents, a dollar, or however you would like! We thank all our Patrons for their support!
Intro: Welcome to Into the Nexus! The Heroes of the Storm podcast!
Reminder, you can go to ITNcast.reddit.com to submit stories or upvote submissions for the next episode.
Ragnaros is out!
Empower Sulfuras (Q)
- Ragnaros’ next Basic Attack is instant, dealing Ability Damage in an area around the target, and Healing Ragnaros for 20% of the damage dealt. Healing is doubled for damage dealt to Heroes.
Living Meteor (W)
- Summon a meteor at the target point that deals damage on impact, and then rolls in the target direction and deals additional damage every second for 1.75 seconds.
Blast Wave (E)
- Ignite Ragnaros or target Ally, granting 25% bonus Movement Speed for 1.5 seconds before exploding, dealing damage to nearby enemies.
Trait - Molten Core (D)
- Channel on an Allied or destroyed Fort or Keep to replace it with Ragnaros’ Ultimate Form, temporarily gaining new Abilities, and a significant amount of Health that burns away over 18 seconds.
- Ragnaros returns to his normal form upon losing all Health during Molten Core.
Molten Core Form Abilities
Molten Swing (Q)
- Swing Sulfuras in a wide arc, dealing damage and stunning enemies for 1 second. Damage increased by 25% versus Minions and Mercenaries.
Meteor Shower (W)
- Summon 3 meteors at the target point that fall in the target direction. Each meteor deals damage and slows enemies by 25% for 2 seconds. Damage increased by 25% versus Minions and Mercenaries.
Explosive Rune (E)
- Create a rune that explodes after 1.5 seconds, dealing damage to non-Structure enemies in a circular area. Damage increased by 25% versus Minions and Mercenaries.
Sulfuras Smash (R)
- Hurl Sulfuras at the target area, landing after 0.75 seconds and dealing damage to enemies hit. Enemies caught in the center of the impact area take triple damage and are Stunned for 0.5 seconds.
Lava Wave (R)
- Release a wave of lava from the allied Core that travels down the target lane, dealing massive damage every second to non-Structure enemies and instantly killing enemy Minions in its path. Damage doubled versus enemy Heroes.
After driving the Raven Lord out of the Haunted Mines and doing a little. . . redecorating. . . the Grave Keeper has re-opened the Mines to all who wish to summon powerful and destructive Grave Golems.
Haunted Mines Basics
- The Haunted Mines will periodically open with an Undead Army underneath.
- Destroy the Undead and collect their Skulls to summon a powerful Golem. The more Skulls each team collects, the stronger their Golems become.
- After the Undead have been defeated, a Golem will rise for each team and travel down lane in search of Structures to destroy.
Haunted Mines Updates
- Grave Golems now spawn in fixed positions in each lane, and switch lanes each time they are summoned.
- The layout of the Underground Mines has been reworked, and the Neutral Grave Golem can now be found at its center.
- The upper level’s center area has been reworked.
- Additional Mine Entrances have been placed to the East and West of the Battleground’s center area, for a total of 4.
- A Mercenary Camp has been placed near each Mine Entrance, featuring Siege Giants at the East and West Entrances, and Sappers in the North and South.
PTR Patch is now Live
Celebrate Winter Veil 2016!
- Our 2016 Winter Veil celebration has arrived! Ring in the holiday season this year with a 25% XP bonus, a new event quest, and of course, quest rewards.
- 25% XP Bonus
- The XP bonus begins at 10:00 a.m. PST on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 until 10:00 a.m. PST Tuesday, January 4, 2017.
- Quest: Play 25 games in any matchmaking mode (Co-op vs. A.I., Quick Match, Unranked Draft, or Ranked)
- Rewards: Special Snowflake Portrait and Festive Treasure Goblin Mount.
Party Sizes in Ranked Play
- The following party size adjustments for Hero and Team League have been made as a one-season experiment for Ranked Season 3.
- Players can no longer queue for Hero League games in parties.
- 2, 3, and 5-player parties can now queue for Team League.
- 2 and 3-player parties can only queue for Team League if all members are ranked within one league of one another.
- 5-player parties can queue with any mixture of league rankings.
- While players will need to have access to at least 14 Heroes in order to play Team League, there are still no minimum Hero level requirements in order to queue for Team League matches.
- Team League will still utilize First Come, First Serve (FCFS) during Draft Mode, which means that parties of two and three players will need to coordinate effectively when drafting their Heroes.
- Silenced players can no longer queue for Team League for the duration of their Silence Penalty.
- The matchmaking system’s certainty level in all players’ skill ratings has once again been loosened in order to help ease movement up or down through the rankings.
Ranked League Adjustments
- Silver and Gold league population sizes have been adjusted, and will now each contain a similar number of players.
- Diamond league will now contain about half as many players as the previous season.
- Sylvanas’ prices reduced to $8.49 USD and 7,000 Gold.
- Initial Zergling spawn increased from 3 to 6 Zerglings
- Base damage reduced from 2750 to 2300.
- Warhead damage now scales by a flat 70 every minute, and no longer has a large jump at 18 minutes.
- Inner Warhead damage is still a 50% bonus.
Developer Comments: We didn’t like the gameplay of holding off on using a Warhead for a sudden unintuitive damage spike, so we’ve smoothed out their damage curve over a longer period. This should end up playing mostly the same across the game, with only about 10% differences in damage at various points in the match.
The search terms "melee" and "ranged" can now be used to filter Hero Select for melee or ranged Heroes.
- More importantly you can Alt click or [ ] any hero to make them clickable in chat, automatically selecting them for the player who clicks it.
- Increased the level reduction for getting Talents from 1 to 2 levels
- Level 1 - Timewalker’s Pursuit (Active)
- Added Functionality: You can now also activate this Talent to reveal an area for 2 seconds. Enemies seen are revealed for 4 seconds.
- Level 1 - Peer Into the Future (Active) - Removed
- Cast time reduced from 2 to 1.5 seconds
- Cast range increased by roughly 30%
Developer Comments: Pyroblast has been underperforming compared to Phoenix. We like where its damage is at, and that a lot of Heroes have ways to negate or mitigate it. Instead, we’re buffing the consistency of the Heroic to make it more competitive.
- Increased Basic Attack damage from 99 to 120
- Increased damage from 64 to 70 per second
- All affected allies now heal for 30% of Basic Attack damage dealt during Bloodlust
- Level 4 - Stormcaller (W)
- Now returns Mana from hitting all enemies, not just Heroes
- Level 7 - Totemic Projection (E)
- Now also increases the duration of Earthbind Totem from 8 to 12 seconds
- Level 20 - Farseer's Blessing ®
- Secondary healing effect increased from 25% to 50% of Ancestral Healing’s full amount
- Level 20 - Gladiator's War Shout ® - Now increases Bloodlust healing from 30% to 60% of Basic Attack damage
Developer Comments: It’s been awhile since Rehgar was a major dominant force, and his performance is now low enough that we can safely increase the rewards for his aggressive playstyle without pushing his win rate too high. For Bloodlust, we wanted to reduce the loss of healing for picking the Heroic, but only for Basic Attack teams that really benefit from it.
- Now reduces the cooldown of Shield Overload by 1 second per enemy hit, and 2 seconds per Hero hit.
- Charge range is now checked against the edge of target units, instead of their center. This increases the effective range of Twin Blades and should generally create more consistent behavior.
- You can now cast Phase Prism during Blade Dash
- Cooldown increased from 14 to 16 seconds
- Cooldown increased from 20 to 24 seconds
- Activation threshold increased from 50 to 75% Health
- Shield value reduced from 449 to 360
- Level 4 - Shield Surge (Trait)
- Moved from Level 16
- New functionality:
- Shield Overload's shield amount is increased by 80% while you are below 25% Health
- Shield Overload's cooldown recharges 50% faster while its shield is active, and increases the duration of Shield Overload from 5 to 6 seconds
- Now increases the cooldown reduction of hitting Heroes with Blade Dash from 2 to 4 seconds
- Level 7 - Chrono Surge (E)
- Attack Speed bonus increased from 40 to 50%
- Level 13 - Templar's Zeal (Q)
- Ability damage mitigation reduced from 50 to 40%
- Level 16 - Burning Rage (Passive)
- Replaced with Plasma Burn (Trait):
- While your Shield is active, you deal 50 damage a second to nearby enemies
Developer Comments: The goals with this Artanis update were twofold: Increase his playmaking (swapping enemies during Blade Dash), and increase his solo lane capabilities (Blade Dash reduces Shield Overload cooldown, Shield Overload triggers at higher Health). We think that with these changes, Artanis will be a strong choice on a lot more Battlegrounds and with more team compositions.
- Cooldown increased from 40 to 50 seconds
- Functionality added:
- Dehaka gains 15% Movement Speed while in a Bush and for 1 second after exiting a Bush
- Functionality added:
- Burrow can now be cancelled early by pressing the hotkey again
- Heal amount increased from 60 to 100% of incoming damage
- Level 1 - Enduring Swarm (W)
- Dehaka takes 40% less damage from Abilities while Dark Swarm is active
- Quest: For every 50 Essence you collect, increase your Brushstalker Movement Speed bonus by 1%. This can stack 10 times.
- Level 4 - Lurker Strain (E)
- Emerging from Burrow knocks away enemies and slows their Movement Speed by 30% for 2 seconds
- Hero Stalker (Trait)
- Bonus Essence gained from takedowns reduced from 150 to 100%
- Level 13 - Swift Pursuit (Z)
- Brushstalker’s Movement Speed duration after leaving a Bush is increased from 1 to 3 seconds
- After using Brushstalker, increase all damage Dehaka deals by 25% for 10 seconds
- New Talent: Primal Swarm (W)
- Enemies affected by Dark Swarm take 15% increased damage from all sources
- Level 16 - Rapid Regeneration (E)
- New Talent: Tunneling Claws (E)
- Dehaka can now move while Burrowed
- Level 20 - Change is Survival ®
- Heal amount increased from 125 to 200% of incoming damage
- New Talent: Essence Claws (Passive)
- Basic Attacks slow enemies by 20% for 1 second
- Basic Attacks against enemy Heroes grant Dehaka 5 Essence
Developer Comments: We started doing some small changes to Dehaka’s talent tree in order to increase diversity and fix some talent pick issues. As is par for the course, this opened a rabbit-hole of design opportunities that we ended up falling into. While Dehaka’s changes were mostly complete before the BlizzCon Finals, his resurgence as a dark horse of competitive play helped us narrow down and finalize the rework. Base movement speed on Brushstalker helps meld his design while some brand new talents should open up some fun new ways to hunt your prey.
- Base damage from 94 to 75
- New Functionality:
- Diablo gains 25% resistance for 2 seconds after charging
- If Diablo’s target collides with terrain they take an additional 150 damage
- Base damage from 106 to 60
- Added Functionality:
- Fire Stomp fireballs return to Diablo, dealing 90 damage
- Bonus max Health per Soulstone stack from .2 to .4%
- Level 1 - Block (Passive)
- Regeneration Globes and Healing Fountains are 2% more effective for every stack of Black Soulstone
- Increase the duration of Shadow Charge’s Resistance effect from 2 to 5 seconds
- Level 4 - Demonic Strength (E)
- Slow duration increased from 2 to 3 seconds
- Slow amount increased from 25 to 30%
- Essence of the Slain (Passive)
- New Talent: Speed Demon (Passive)
- Diablo gains 30% Movement Speed for 5 seconds after being Stunned or Rooted
- Moved from Level 7
- Functionality added:
- Also increases Shadow Charge range by 33%
- Level 7 - Diabolical Momentum (Q)
- Basic Attacks lower the cooldown of Shadow Charge and Overpower by 1.5 seconds
- Moved from Level 7 to Level 13
- Functionality changed:
- Shadow Charging an enemy into unpathable terrain deals an additional 5% of that targets max Health in damage
- Quest: Every time you charge an enemy into unpathable terrain, increase the bonus damage by 2%, stacking up to a 10% bonus (15% max health possible)
- New Talent: Soul Shield (Trait)
- Each Black Soulstone stack Diablo has grants him 0.35% Resistance to enemy Abilities
- Soul Feast (Passive) - Moved from Level 1
- Each Soulstone stack grants 0.4 Health Regeneration per second
- Each enemy Hero hit by Fire Stomp increases the damage of the next Fire Stomp by 10%, stacking up to 100%.
- Aura damage increased from 17 to 22
- Also increases Diablo’s Basic Attack damage by 25% for 6 seconds
- Lower the Cooldown of Overpower by 4 seconds
- Using Overpower refreshes the Cooldown of Shadow Charge
- Imposing Presence (Passive)
- New Talent: Fearful Presence (Passive/Active)
- Passive: Heroes and Summons that attack Diablo have their Attack Speed slowed by 20% for 2.5 seconds
- Active: Activate to reduce the damage dealt by nearby Heroes by 30% for 3 seconds
- Level 20 - Bolt of the Storm (Active)
- New Talent: Hellgate (Active)
- Activate to teleport a short distance and place a Demonic Rune at that location. After 1.75 seconds the rune explodes dealing 137 damage and stuns enemies for 1.75 seconds
Developer Comments: The Lord of Terror has been under the knife for a couple months and has finally collected enough souls to resurrect himself. He reenters the Nexus with an updated talent tree focusing on maintaining and amplifying his identity. He should still excel as a gank-oriented Warrior, punishing out-of-position enemies, but also brings along some new survivability options. While we had to lower his damage slightly, the baseline addition of Firestorm and larger payoff for Shadow Charging enemies into collision should heavily reward opportunistic Diablo players.
- This ability has received improvements to its cast animation
- The time between casting Particle Grenade and performing another action has been reduced by .25 seconds
Developer Comments: Casting Zarya’s Particle Grenade would force her to be locked in place for a short period of time. We don’t do this on other Heroes, and we felt like this exception broke the fluidity of the character.
Patreon Mention: Patreon.com/ITN
- Altama Barbasol
- Jean Alexandre V Cote
- Rafael Merly
- John J Mendez
In your unbiased opinion what hero is OP and what would you change about them to fix it? Also who do you feel is under-powered and how would you bring them up to being playable in a more serious team league environment?
My 2 cents:
OP - Alarak - Range on telekinesis and lightning surge is simply too far, reduce by 20%
UP - Uther - Change cooldowns on holy light and holy radiance from 12 seconds to 10
Patreon Shout Out
ITN is supported by our badass Patrons. You can become a ITN Patron by going to Patreon.com/itn.
Into the Nexus is produced by Amove.tv and our Patreon producers Declan H and CheezyBob! ITN coffee mugs and glasses are over at bit.ly/amovestore.
Catch the live show Thursday nights at 8pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/Amovetv. Mobile live stream provided by Alpha Geek Radio. Go to mobile.alphageekradio.com.
Follow the show on Twitter @ITNcast, Facebook.com/Amovetv, And ITNpodcast.reddit.com.
Thanks to Brian Griffith, the musician responsible for our intro music. He can be found at briangriffithmusic.com or @briangriffith on twitter..
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
The Angry Chicken: A Hearthstone Podcast
The Angry Nerd
Just because we aren’t running ads at the top doesn’t mean these codes are any less awesome!
Our code, ITN, will get you a free 120gb SSD added to your already amazing Doghouse gaming PC.
The same code, ITN, will get you 30% off and free shipping on your entire order of noise-reducing earbuds from Tweaked Audio!