

mAttendance: Jorge, Maria, Thea, Emma, Kelly, Ben, Julie, Irene, Jesse, Yuriko, Vy, Julia, Grace, Grant, Kabir

Agenda:

1. General Announcements - Co-Presidents
2. Ideal location for General Meetings
3. Retreat Updates
4. Officer/Rep Check-Ins

General Announcements - Co-Presidents

Maria: We want to introduce some of the things that Jorge and I have been working on. It's been great meeting with everyone one on one. We've mentioned how we're hoping to change the meeting structure of the student council and an email will go out officially tomorrow. There will be executive board meetings on top of student council meetings. This is as we noticed in the past student council meetings weren't enough time to solve problems for the community. We also want to use the executive board meetings to bring in faculty and staff. The agenda for the executive board meetings will be sent out in Monday's newsletter, and the meetings will take place on Fridays from 2-3. From both meetings the minutes will be released so that there is more transparency. We will go more into depth about how the agenda will look at the retreat as part of a workshop. The first executive board meeting will be this coming week. We hope that the community members can bring up some things for the meeting. The exec board meetings will be presidents, vice presidents, secretaries, and the librarian, and anyone else is welcome to come. Are there any questions about this?

Ben: Is the community invited to general student council meetings?

Maria: Yes I think so, one idea we were playing around with is have people come at the end of the weekly meetings. The weekly meetings will serve as check-in for council and it will be for plenary planning. So it will be helpful for community members to come and give their feedback.

Jorge: Also later on we are gonna talk about the best place for this meeting. We want to have a hybrid version over zoom and in person so we can be accessible to the community.

Maria: In that email, we are also announcing our own office hour, which for presidents will be during dinner on Mondays. We want to increase the amount of community engagement hours. We've been working on reading through the constitution and finding things that have been buried under and haven't been being done. One of those being the appointments committee who the VPs will be running.

Jorge: We want the different committees on campus to have student representation. Starting from this week to next week we want to make the community aware that this committee consists of VPS and the Reps. The VPs will be in charge of scheduling meeting times.

Grant: We sent out a time to meet for everyone on the committee, so please fill that out if you haven't done so.

Jorge: I created a channel in slack for the committee if you also want to use that.

Maria: We're also trying to make it more of an application process. A lot of the time committee heads expect committee members to show up and not know that they're the ones who have to compensate them. For the elections timeline, next week is the nominations for the treasurers, and senior rep and then the week after that will be the elections. We did some tabling and people looked interested. The plenary timeline Jorge and I are planning to work on this week so that next week we can delegate tasks. Lastly, we've had some of our monthly check-ins, so if you haven't yet please sign up for one. Also please use the folders we set up for institutional memory, cc stuco.haveford@gmail.com. Any questions?

Jorge: I am gonna create a slack channel for the folders just to have access to the general folder. The general folder is shared with all of the council. Also if you have not made a check in appointment the link is in your respective slack channel.

Ideal location for General Meetings

Jorge: For the weekly meeting we were thinking we could do it at the dc because it's around dinner time and will be more accessible to students. We could also do a room in the library.

Yuriko: Last year we had our meetings in Gest center, it was a pretty big space and accommodated for hybrid meetings. I don't know if we want to use that space again.

Grace: That room was good. There is space for others to come in and join the meeting.

Julia: I loved the space we had last year, but if that space is already booked, I would prefer if we didn't do it inside the dining center, as on partial meal plans some of us have very limited meal swipes.

Maria: We thought if that happens we are going to make it clear to Jodi and Dean Mcknight that people can walk in and say they are there for a meeting without swiping. Which room in Gest was this?

Grace: It was Gest 101.

Jorge: That one is good too because it's close to the dc.

Ben: I think Gest 101 is spectacular. I'm a huge Gest 101 fan.

Jorge: Also in the future when we do have meetings at the dc the staff can let you in without swiping.

Jesse: I just wanted to say, a room in the dc basement could also work. They have good wifi down there.

Maria: How many people does the Gest room accommodate for?

Grace: I am not sure exactly. There were always extra chairs at meetings last year and a big square table.

Maria: That room is free every week for the rest of the semester and has a projector. It is decided our Sunday meetings will be from 6-7 in Gest 101.

Maria: We don't have any retreat updates yet. We will be meeting with them sometime this week to finalize it. We'll get those to you Wednesday was our goal. If you need to leave early let us know so we can schedule an uber. Any questions about the retreat

Retreat Updates

Julia: What time are we leaving on Friday from Haverford?

Maria: We have to be there by 5, so probably 4:30 to 5 we should be leaving. I can get that through slack.

Jorge: We will try to get the logistics out soon.

Maria: If you're unable to make it, let us know so we can compile resources and notes so you have access to things that might be helpful to your position. So the goal of this meeting is check ins, so I know it's the first week back, but if you wanna give an update to council that would be cool. So if anyone wants to start that off.

Officer/Rep Check-Ins

Yuriko: Recently I met with the senior board of manager rep and we talked about our goals for the semester which are more advocacy for students and it was a very insightful meeting.

Vy: Last year I was also the officer of athletics. The biggest thing I want to accomplish was figuring out funds for first gen / low income athletes. So we got this grant from an anonymous donor at the end of the year. I don't know how much it is, but it's a good amount. It lets students who are low income fly here and meet with coaches. I haven't met with the director, but from what I've been told the money can be used to recruit students and for athletes here currently. So my role is to make sure all coaches know that there is a fund for that. I am kind of limited to meeting with people for the next two months because I am in season but my goal for the next two months is to build the community in terms of the groups we have for athletes. I'm also trying to make sure that club sports are getting the attention they deserve in terms of trainers. I know that club athletes can't get medical help from trainers, which is a problem. So that's something I'm working on.

Jorge: Also remember that you can use the exec board meetings as a tool to meet with people. Remember for all the officers and reps that is the tool to bring these people in and make it more formal.

Irene: I'm the officer of multiculturalism. One of the goals I have is to make sure I'm connecting with the affinity groups on campus. There are some problems with communication and having administration come into a space where we can talk to them about these problems. So making sure I'm connecting with the affinity groups, understanding their needs and taking them to the race ethnicity and education office. I'm in the process of meeting the new director, and I have a meeting with her this week. I am trying to connect with different people and groups on campus. Another goal that I have is creating a channel of some sort where affinity groups can publish their events that are going on more publicly and accessibility. I want to make sure all the amazing events get sent to everyone so more people can know about them.

Kabir: What Grant and I have done recently, we spoke with Jodi at the club fair and we sent out the when to meet for the appointments committee. One long term goal is to make a student bulletin board in the dining center. It's nice to have a physical board. We can have a plenary counter and list meeting agendas. We want to be more transparent and engaged with the community at actual meetings and we can advertise things on the bulletin board so we can better serve the community. We are interested in having some accountability procedures for admin for plenary. Also we had some interest related to clubs in terms of accessibility. We can speak to Vy some time. We also know with RSLs they changed the terms of the employment so we want to look into that

Grant: I know we've had office hours in the past and no one really comes to those. We want to work on creating a space at exec board meetings so people can come to us.

Maria: I have to go, so Jorge is going to lead the rest of the meeting.

Jorge: Kabir and Grant will be leading a workshop during the retreat about Robert's Rule.

Jesse: There are two things I want to work on. Making a moodle for alternative requirements for taking classes. I contacted people and haven't received a reply. The other thing is the extra credit for pre med, and I have contacted several faculty members in the bio department, and it seems they had some aversion to the idea as it would take a lot of convincing as there are concerns about preferential treatment. I am going to contact more people.

Vy: The OAR is trying to use haverpedia that might be a good first place for your bulletin board. The credit in stem classes has been talked about recently and they had their final conversation last year so I don't know if they will budge at all.

Ben: I'm the 2026 class rep, my big goal is to improve the byzantine system that is bionic. I also want to make good use of the facilities fund. I think there are some good things we can do with the money, particularly related to accessibility on campus.

Kelly: I want to make events more easy to happen and access, especially since in the past there has been confusion, lack of information, or a lack of clarity on various aspects of student engagement or events. With this, I have been communicating with various individuals and have meetings planned to start making changes. I was recently made aware I manage the Lutton Fund (E. Clyde Lutton 1966 Memorial Fund) that focuses on collaborative student performances. I have talked to Julie about this, but I need at least one more person for this committee to delegate the fund properly.

Jorge: Where is the fund from?

Kelly: I believe the student engagement office, but I am unsure.

Jorge: In terms of committee and funds, we are going to look into the constitution to find who manages them. After the retreat we're going to try to set up committees to manage funds.

Julia: One goal is getting a lounge for international students. I have been in contact with Scott and Dean Mcknight about it. I also want to improve access to a space where students can cook during break. It is hard for them over breaks if they aren't in apartments because they cannot cook. Same over thanksgiving. VCam is not always accessible because they sometimes turn the

stoves off over break. Secondly, I want to make mental health resources more accessible during breaks because it can be hard for international students who do not go home. I plan to be in contact with CAPS about this.

Grace: I am the officer of access and disability inclusion. I have a lot of goals. Short term ones are to write an email to all students and introduce myself. I consider disability to be an umbrella term. Another thing I want to do is to contact facilities about an accessibility fund. I want to talk to them about a student run audit of the fund.

Emma: To jump onto what Grace was saying, if you want to make emails to introduce yourselves, that should be something that goes in the weekly newsletter so let us know if you want to send those out.

Jorge: Also, use the Instagram if you want to promote things. We have the newsletter and also if you want to write an op ed to the clerk or bico news I really think that would be great.

Julie: I am the officer of arts. I am not an art student so I have done a lot of research and been educating myself. I think that one of my biggest goals is not making art activities for students that are selectively art students. Freshman always ask during customs if there are ways on campus to do art casually. I have been reaching out to the student art collective because I think this is about finding out what students want. I want to make art not seem like a hobby or a luxury. This is a slow process so far because I am still trying to figure out how to make things visible on campus.

Jorge: Also, everyone try to introduce yourself to the different areas that pertain to your area. So if you have a specific office to your role try to put yourself out there. Also use exec board meetings.

Emma: We've been working on the Instagram and also revamping the stuco website. We want to reintroduce a form for community members to give feedback that will be included in the stuco newsletter. We want to build up the stuco newsletter so if you guys ever have announcements or updates on your work please reach out to us.

Thea: We also want to try and get rid of censoring completely in the meeting minutes. We are going to try and meet with Dean Mcknight next week to discuss this.

Jorge: Has everyone gone? We're going to try to do check-ins every month. So at the start of October we will make more appointments. Fill out the bio form for the co-secretaries for the Instagram. Remember, use the Insta if you want to get something out there. I think that's it for now.

Emma: So we're going to send out the meeting minutes after this meeting, if you could take a look at that and make sure we got everything that you said. Make a comment so that we can add that in before it goes out. The newsletter goes out in the morning. The consensus in the afternoons. It's not ideal to have them on the same day, but the consensus has to be at the start of the week, and for the stuco newsletter we need the agenda out far enough in advance before the exec board meetings so people have enough time to reach out, and faculty have enough time to plan to attend.

Jorge: Thank you, if you want to bring someone to the exec board meetings please talk to us so we can invite them to the meeting.

Emma: The agenda for the week will be a live document in the stuco newsletter that we can update throughout the week.

Jorge: I think that's it for today, thank you guys.