Glen Park Association Board of Directors Meeting minutes
December 14, 2016
400 Sussex St.
Michael Rice, President
Carolyn Deacy, Program Chair
Ashley Hathaway, Recreation and Park Chair
John Walmsley, Neighborhood Environment Chair
Sally Ross, Greenway Committee
Nicholas Dewar, Greenway committee
Stephany Wilkes, Recording Secretary
Scott Stawicki, Vice President/Transportation Chair
Hilary Schiraldi, Membership Secretary
Tania Treis, Zoning and Planning Chair
Mic Ames, Communications/Corresponding Secretary
Call to order: 7:13 PM
Approval of August, September, October, - November 2016 board minutes:
Dewar: Motion to approve
Deacy abstains. All remaining in favor. Minutes approved.
Mullen not in attendance; it is finals week at City College. No update.
Impromptu request to Schiraldi. GPA membership estimate is 500 in spreadsheet.
Committee Reports: 7:20 PM
- Committee meeting held 2016-11-28.
- MTA community meeting on Bosworth bike lane changes held 2016-11-30. Proposed bike lane changes would affect two sections of Bosworth:
- Bosworth between Elk and O’Shaughnessy: Proposal to narrow existing vehicle lane and create a five-foot wide, protected lane with cones. After O’Shaughnessy begins (continuing up to Portola) bikes should continue to use the shared sidewalk with pedestrians, as today.
- Bosworth between Elk and Hammerton: The bike lane will be green and between two car lanes.
- No action for Board because there is no approved draft from MTA to review.
- Regarding route changes to the 35-Eureka bus line, MTA held a community meeting on Dec. 7, 2016.
- Prior to the meeting, World collected email comments from numerous people who like and approve of the new route. In sum, most emails said “Great, love it, and I will not be attending the meeting.”
- The majority of people who attended the meeting were not in favor of proposed route changes.
- Residents of Miguel St. are displeased with MTA route changes on Miguel and a lack of communication about the same, as well as daylighting (red zones) since parking is not allowed on one side of Miguel as is.
- MTA is supposed to respond to the Transportation Committee by email on or before Jan. 15, 2017 on the bike lane and route changes.
- FYI, the Diamond Heights Association is initiating a large sidewalk construction project beside the Canyon, along Diamond Heights Blvd. to Elk. This one-year project will repave small sections. No other details at this time.
- Committee discussing outreach to new BART Director.
- Bay Area Bike Share is expanding beyond downtown and reached to GPA; will attend January quarterly meeting.
- Walmsley: Is there anything we can do in regard to the Monterey exit back up heading south, like talk to CalTrans? Could we suggest a dedicated right turn to the village, with the two left lanes going straight?
- Stawicki: At present, the MTA expectation is that drivers will “branch out” into the neighborhoods, using other routes because of congestion.
- Deacy: It’s possible the traffic light may be malfunctioning, not switching at rush hour like it should. That may be worth a phone call.
Recreation & Park
- The Planning Commission will soon vote on the Natural Areas Plan. on December 15, 2016(The plan passed, subsequent to this meeting.)
- In regard to Rec Center construction, the roof and window installations are nearly complete. The climbing wall has been framed. Work on stucco will begin soon.
- Hathaway has received inquiries on the “teaching kitchen” in the Rec Center that actually is not. Brett at Rec & Park is fielding these inquiries.
- Inquiry received on keeping NERT supplies at the Rec Center, but NERT supplies are kept at fire stations. NERT training at the Rec Center is fine.
Zoning and Planning Committee
- Ross and Treis attended a Planning Department meeting on new, proposed residential design guidelines, which are open for public comment. The guidelines emphasize fitting into neighborhood patterns, make block-by-block considerations, and, in so doing, give Planners tools they did not have before.
- Planning would like to finalize these guidelines by May-June 2017.
- Next committee meeting is in January.
- Board to discuss and formally comment on a draft letter on the Rec & Park Signifcant Natural Resource Areas Management Plan on certification of EIR and plan approval.(SNRMNPNAMP)
- A joint meeting of the Planning Commission and Rec & Park will consider certification of the EIR. The EIR is thousands of pages long and began a decade or so ago.
- The EIR does not include or affect specific projects, which come later.
- Stawicki reached out to Rec & Park and asked them to come and speak to GPA membership on the SNRMPNAMP.
- 8:44 PM -- Walmsley moves to approve letter. Wilkes seconds. Treis and Ames abstain; all remaining in favor. Stawicki will email letter on moring of December 15, 2016. Public hearing is in afternoon
- We are applying for a Community Challenge Grant due mid March.
- Walk through with Julia Brashares and other DPW folks scheduled for Friday, January 6, 2017 at 8:30 AM.
- Meeting held with San Francisco Parks Alliance (SFPA) to explore partnership. The Parks Alliance makes projects like the Greenway their own as a sponsor, takes on liability and insurance risks, and organizes are volunteers of the Parks Alliance.
- Dewar and committee propose Greenway become a project separate from the GPA, and a Parks Alliance partner, formally, as that is how DPW engages with spaces deemed “street parks,” of which the Greenway is one.
- The GPA will continue to raise funds for the Greenway and will direct any donations in future to be paid directly to SFPA, The Greenway which will receive a “Street Park” designation. GPA will continue to, volunteer for it, and will obtain recognition for its efforts. Funds that have been raised for the Greenway and that are not yet spent (i.e. the remainder of the Schapiro grant) will be used for the project in ways that leverage the project's fund-raising efforts (e.g. as matching funds for CCG applications). When all the remaining funds are spent, the GPA’s Greenway bank account will be closed. GPA will continue to be closely involved in the Greenway and will receive recognition of this (in signage, website, stationery etc) while taking care not to exert direct control over its operations. The Greenway will set up a “Friends of the GP Greenway” membership organization to provide community members with a mechanism to provide financial support directly to the Greenway for maintenance etc. Funds received in this way will be channeled via SFPA. This is a much better arrangement in terms of financial administration, insurance, and working in the framework desired and expected by city agencies.
- 9:03 PM - Resolution: Stawicki motions to give Dewar and committee approval to move forward with Parks Alliance partnership as described. Schiraldi seconds. Motion passed.
- Greenway clean-Up and potluck scheduled for January 14, 2017 from 9 AM - 12 PM.
ADDITIONAL DISCUSSION ITEMS
January 26 quarterly meeting items
Adjourned: 9:10 PM
Letter to SNRAMP