Student Senate Agenda

February 25th, 2014

Hall Perrine

  1. Call to Order
  2. Approval of Previous Meeting’s Minutes
  1. approved
  1. Approval of Agenda
  1. approved
  1. Open Forum
  1. Nothing
  1. President - Kelly Oeltjenbruns
  1. Thank you from Environmental club.
  2. Appointments
  1. Katy Banks appointed to Junior class representative
  1. Vote- 14 in favor

                0 opposed

                0 abstentions

  1. Jose Del Toro to Junior class representative
  1. Vote- 14 in favor

                                        0 opposed

                                        0 abstentions

  1. Chuck Rocker appointed to Sophomore class representative
  1. Vote- 16 in favor

                0 opposed

                0 abstentions

     iv. Diedra appointed to Sophomore class representative

  1. Vote- 17 in favor

        0 opposed

        0 abstentions

      v. Alea Berube appointed to First Year class representative

  1. Vote- 18 in favor

                0 opposed

                0 abstentions

  1. President Oeltjenbruns will present Oohlala during New Business
  2. 7th block- will have applications for Conduct Board and Appeals board.
  1. Will take Senate picture.
  2. Will have office hours.
  1. Mount Vernon planning meeting was today, went well
  1. Vice President - Lane Zahourek
  1. Will attend Greek Life meeting tomorrow with Michael to address cursing.
  1. Chair of Organizations - Michael Christianson
  1. Prior presentation- College Democrats (Trevor)
  1. with midterm elections coming up, wants to give politics majors and politically interested people a group
  2. Was a club previously.
  3. Senator De La Torre- What will be the structure of events?
  4. Trevor- The club will have speakers and other events.
  5. Senator Luu- Have you gotten a lot of interest from the student body?
  6. Trevor- Yes, Cornell has a lot of Democrats!
  7. Senator Oldfield- Why was this group defunked in the past.
  8. President Oeltjenbruns - They probably just didn’t reactivate on community.
  9. Senator Del Toro- will we be giving them a start up fund or do they already have money?
  10. Vice Prez. Zahourek- Budget fest is coming up, they can appropriate for next year.
  11. Trevor- The club has been in contact with Young Democrats, Iowa organization. Already has potential events.
  12. Senator Christianson will email out the constitution for College Democrats tonight.
  1. Chair of Appropriations - Brian Hixon-Simeral
  1. Move to appoint Angelica Hall to the appropriations committee
  1. Vote-  20 in favor

                0 opposed

                0 abstensions

  1. Prior Presentation- Chair of PAAC(Emliy)
  1. Going to conference in Minnesota to book performers.
  2. Requesting an advance on next years budget, to book performers this conference in April. Want to be appropriated $30,000
  3. Senator Hixon-Simeral- this appropriation will be coming out of next years budget.
  4. This year our budget was over $200,000.
  5. President Oeltjenbruns - Do you know specifically what type of acts you’re looking for?
  6. Emily- Once new exec board has been chosen this will be discussed. Want quality acts over quantity of acts.
  7. Senator Christianson- What student input have you had about what types of performers to book?
  8. Emily-Had an OC event asking students what they wanted. Will have another event 7th block to get student input.
  9. Emily will be doing a presentation on return of investments from last years events at the next senate meeting.
  10. Budget for next year will be $225 X enrollment- comes from the student activity fee that each student pays.
  1. We were going to have a presentation from Mountaineering Club, but they were unable to become active on community.
  1. However, if they do become active they can submit an emergency appropriations request to the Chair of Appropriations, so the potential appropriation should be discussed.
  2. Senator Oldfield- 4 people are going to the Grand Canyon over spring break, are asking for gas money, campsite fees, and $2 per meal. It is a beginners’ backpacking and camping skills trip.
  3. Senator De La Torre- was this trip offered to other students?
  4. Senator Tentinger- Yes, there were a lot of emails sent out, and the trip was offered to a large portion of the student body. Waited to have a group of interested students to ask for appropriations.
  5. Senator Hixon-Simeral will consider this case and the other senators opinions, if an emergency request is submitted.
  1. The number on the remaining balance of the student activities fund should be received later this week.
  1. Chair of Academic Affairs - Liz O’Brien
  1. Marty Condon on the OC for fireside chat- Wednesday at 7pm
  2. Planning an academic forum surrounding the world series
  3. Receiving requests for the academic based activities fund.
  1. Chair of Student Life - Leigh Gustafson
  1. Move to appoint Diedra Franzen to the Student Life committee
  1. Vote-  19 in favor

                                0 opposed

                                1 abstention

  1. President Oeltjenbruns- New appointees need to go through and make sure that each class has a representative on each committee.
  2. Brainstorming new ideas!
  1. Senior Class
  1. Senior class reps and other seniors meeting with Elise at 4p Thursday in the Ratt to discuss senior reception, senior class gift logos, will move forward with planning and appropriations needed
  1. Junior Class
  1. Will discuss constituent contact event after this meeting
  2. Point of Information President Oeltjenbruns- Constituent contact events should occur blockly, and involve senators reaching out to their classmates.
  1. Sophomore Class
  1. Will plan a constituent contact event this block, or early next block.
  1. First Year Class
  1. Met with Mariah, to discuss event ideas.
  1. Old Business
  1. President Oeltjenbruns- want to discuss student concern regarding streaking, brought up 5th block, and how to address it.
  1. President Oeltjenbruns spoke with Gwen, there is currently no policy against it. Also spoke to a representative from the group responsible.
  2. Senator De La Torre- The group presenting the concern was worried about the impact on potential students, donors, and investors
  3. Senator Oldfield- They were offended by being surprised by having to witness the nudity.
  4. Senator Tentinger (Arrow Representative)- They were chanting “The Arrows are f*cking studs”
  1. Has to do with body positivity and feminism. Is supposed to be a shocking surprise. They chant to all feel supported.
  2. Events are on the same days every year, are not on prospective student days. Has been occurring since at least 1971.
  3. There are no rules or laws against this. The group of concerned students was offered the opportunity to discuss this issue with the Arrows, and declined
  1. Vice President Zahourek- Instead of doing this event over lunch, when it typically occurs, what if you did it over dinner time? Donors and prospective students are less likely to be present at this time
  2. Senator Tentinger will bring this up with the Arrows.
  3. Senator Castillo- It was brought up that the Arrows are not the only group doing this. There also have been boys streaking in Dows
  4. Senator Castillo Rivera- This can be considered sexual harassment and therefore is not acceptable. Should be a part of the Compass.  
  5. Senator Oldfield- Understands the empowerment to the people involved, however just because this is the first time this issue has been brought up does not make it negligible
  6. Senator Hixon-Simeral- Perhaps groups could notify students and faculty ahead of time of the event. There could be a penalty for non planned and non approved streaking events.There needs to be a concrete set of rules regarding this.
  7. Senator O’Brien- It would be a good idea to send out a survey or have a constituent contact event to get students input on the issue.
  1. Senator Mckenzie- during contact event just ask students specific questions about their feelings        
  1. John Harp- To be applicable, the results need to be written. This may take time, but student input is important
  2. President Oeltjenbruns- closed this discussion, will construct a survey, will present it next block.
  3. John Harp is proud of the civil conversations regarding this controversial and sensitive topic.

             New Business

  1. President Oeltjenbruns presented Oohlala app, which would be custom built for Cornell College and offer many features to students regarding the campus, events, classes, and the community.
  1. Student Senate would have to fund this app, will appropriate at Budget Fest for next year. we need to give Tara the ok to begin moving forward on a contract.
  2.  Senator O’Brien- Good idea to be able to reach out to the entire student body. We spend more yearly on the New York Times than we would on this app
  3. John Harp would like to talk to the company and see the contract, also would like to contact schools currently using this app. Why is there such a hurry on the contract?
  4. President Oeltjenbruns move to give the company John Harps contact information, and to begin work on the contract through Tara.
  1. Vote- 18 in favor

                0 opposed

                2 abstentions

  1. Senator Hixon-Simeral needs budget buddies (People to help student organizations prepare their budgets for budget fest)! Budget Buddies will be unable to vote on the budgets that they help out with. Senators who are potentially interested:
  1. Senator De La Torre
  2. Senator O’Brien
  3. Senator Oldfield
  4. Senator Castillo Rivera
  5. Senator Del Toro
  1. Announcements
  1. Senator O’Brien- Marty Condon 7pm Tomorrow on the Oc, he likes fruit flies!