New JHPDA Meetup.com Group
JHPDA has created a Meetup.com group for postdocs interested in attending smaller local events around Baltimore, such as concerts, art walks, happy hours, museums, and other happenings. Go to Meetup.com, create a profile, and join the Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association Meetup Group. Receive emails about weekly events other JHPDA members are attending or create your own meetup for an event you want to attend.
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, & anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Do you or would you ride your bicycle to work but refrain due to dangerous conditions and lack of bike lanes?
There have been conversations and support from the deans of SPH/SOM to improve the safety of Hopkins cyclists. Sign this petition to show your support. More info here.
Get your Flu Shot!
Click here for more information on times and dates.
Fall Telling Stories about Science Events
- Wednesday, Nov. 5: Peter Agre
Where: Wood Basic Science Bldg. Aud.
More details here
Hopkins School of Medicine
Evenings at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
6:00 - 7:00 pm Arrival and ticket pick-up
7:00 - 8:30 pm Concert
8:30 - 9:00 pm Q&A session
9:00 - 10:00 pm Dinner reception
Events (click the below links for details):
Saturday, Oct 25, 2014 @ 7pm - R. Strauss' Ein Heldenleben
Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015 @ 7pm - Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
Sexual Assault Reporting
The Johns Hopkins University has launched a new resource, a website for Sexual Assault Response & Prevention. This website features policies, procedures, FAQs, training resources, and emergency contact information. See full announcement here.
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins.]
IN BRIEF: The Johns Hopkins Office of Critical Event Preparedness and Response - New Travel Guidance
Due to the fast-evolving situation regarding the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Johns Hopkins has developed guidance that will help protect the health and safety of our patients and their families, our visitors, workers and communities.
In short, the guidance urges all Johns Hopkins faculty, staff and students not to travel to areas affected by the outbreak until further notice. These areas are Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
The reason: The possible consequences of travel to these countries are particularly serious in view of the virulence of Ebola, the intensive community and health-facility transmission patterns, and the undeveloped health systems currently in these countries. Read more here.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Hindi Movie Night, Mon., Oct. 20th
The JHPDA International Committee invites you to Hindi Movie night featuring:
Come enjoy the songs, dance, and drama of Bollywood and get nostalgic about your college days!
When: Monday, Oct. 20th, 6:00 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, Room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Café)
Food: Popcorn, ice cream, and drinks provided; feel free to also bring your own dinner, if you’d like!
Shuttle Social, Thurs., Oct. 23rd
The JHPDA Socials committee invites you to another Shuttle social!
When: Thursday, Oct. 23rd, 6:00 pm
Where: Tavern on the Hill in Mount Vernon (900 Cathedral Street)
Shuttle: JHMI-Homewood shuttle, Peabody/Washington Monument stop
Celebrate Diwali 2014, Thurs., Oct. 30th
Join the JHPDA in celebrating the Indian “Festival of Lights,” Diwali!
Free Indian food and drinks provided!
When: Thursday, Oct. 30th, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Ross/MRB Daily Grind
Paintball at Paintball Adventure Park, Sat., Nov. 8th
Come play paintball with the JHPDA and bring your friends!
When: Saturday, Nov. 8th, 10:00 am
Where: Paintball Adventure Park, 3939 Old Taneytown Rd., Taneytown 21787
Travel: Carpooling will be organized based on availability and interest
Who: Postdocs and their friends (18+ years of age) - space is limited!
Cost: $20 for 500 paintballs (JHPDA covers entry and equipment rental)
Career Advice for Postdoctoral fellows, Thurs., Nov. 13th
An opportunity for postdocs to get career advice from visiting scientist, Nancy Thornberry, an Independent Consultant in the pharmaceutical industry.
When: Thursday, Nov. 13th, 11:00 am
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, Room 517
For the event flyer, click here.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
CIRTL, the Center for Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning
October Webcasts (CIRTLCast) Series: 12:00 - 1:00 pm
October 21: Using your International Background to Advantage in the Classroom
October 28: Grading and Effective Feedback in the American System
One hour Lunch-and-Learn
On Wednesdays during your lunch break, come discuss important topics that leverage your marketability when looking for a job. You may attend any or all seminars, there is no restriction.
Register here (for headcount purposes only)
- 10/23: Looking Into Diverse Careers (Fall Research Leadership Module; PCTB, Room 113/114)
- 10/29: The Power of LinkedIn (PCTB, Room 113/114)
- 11/05: Introvert? Extravert? Using Your Strengths (PCTB, Room 113/114)
Fall 2014 Research Leadership for Postdocs (lunchtime modules)
When: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:00 - 1:30pm
Where: 1830 Building, classroom 2-108 (unless otherwise noted, below)
- 10/21: Focus on your future, Academic Job Search Panel
- 10/23: Diverse Careers in Science, Career Transitions
- 10/28: Networking
- 10/30: Promotion and Tenure, Reward and Recognition
- 11/04: Mentoring
- 11/11: Building and Managing Teams (3 hours)
- 11/13: Inclusive Excellence; Hot-Button Issues in the Workplace
- 11/18: Working within Your Organization
- 12/02: Managing Research Funds, Faculty Panel
- 12/04: Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship
- 12/09: Time Management
- 12/11: Project Management (3 hours)
Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office Events (Fall 2014)
Fall 2014 event details for SPH postdocs, including event descriptions, locations, RSVP links can be found on the Career Services Office website.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
- Oct. 27, 2014, Applying to Medical School as a Post-Doc/Grad Student
- Oct. 30, 2014, "Access to Experts" Information Session: KP Mid-Atlantic (RSVP)
- ...more November events coming soon!
Professional Development Module Program courses offered by the Center for Leadership Education in the Whiting School of Engineering. Click here and here for details.
- The Thrasher Research Fund: Early Career Awards (concept submissions due 9/12; proposal submissions due 10/24, link)
- Publicizing Basic Science Contest - $500 prizes (deadline 10/20, link)
- The Neuro Challenge (deadline 10/31, flyer link, website link)
- Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (due 11/03, link)
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs (due 11/15, link)
- ASU Origins Project Postdoctoral ($10K) Prize Lectureship Nomination (due 12/01, link). More information here as well.
- The Dan David Prize ($15K scholarship). (due 03/10/2015, link); for selected fields of interest, check this link.
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Recent additions listed below.
- Senior Scientist Position @ NIEHS/NIH (link)
- Lead Clinical Research Associate (In-House), Hinckley, OH (link)
- Brain Trauma Research Fellow/Associate 4 (link)
- Public Health Support Lead/Program Manager (link)
- Sleep and Performance Scientist (link)
- Protein Engineer/Molecular Biology Scientist (link)
- Biogen Idec Postdoctoral Program (link)
- Equity Research Fellow (link)
- Research Opportunities in Europe for NSF-funded postdocs (link)
- International Opportunity: Scientific Instrumentation (link)
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Scientific Grants Manager (link)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
- Baltimore Farmer's Market, Sundays (underneath the Jones Falls overpass) Expressway on Saratoga Street between Holliday and Gay Street)
- Thursday Nights at the Walters, FREE art exhibits every Thurs., 5-9pm
Local Events Outside Baltimore City
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or here.