Georgy Zhukov - Presentation Notes
USSR = Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
- Wikipedia - Georgy Zhukov - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgy_Zhukov
- History Learn Site - Georgy Zhukov - http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/georgy_zhukov.htm
- Russiapedia - http://russiapedia.rt.com/prominent-russians/military/georgy-zhukov/
- Knowledgenuts - http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/02/14/when-coca-cola-made-white-coke-for-a-soviet-war-hero/
- Quotes - http://izquotes.com/author/georgy-zhukov
Who is Georgy Zhukov?
- Georgy’s full name was Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov, he was also one of the few Soviet generals during the timespan of World War II.
- He was born on December 1, 1896 and was birthed at Strelkovka, Russia. [CLICK]
- Georgy was the son of a peasant, a peasant being those who would work the jobs many would decline, as a child he worked among the fields.
Achievements / Recognition(s)
- He was viewed as the most successful general of all countries who fought in World War II as he was notably known as the man who overthrew the Nazis. He was given the titles of “man who did not lose a battle” and “Victory Marshall”. [CLICK]
- He had received the honorary title Hero of the Soviet Union which he acquired 3 times.
- He was notably recognized for stopping a Japanese Invasion against Soviet Mongolia in 1939. [CLICK]
- Defence of Moscow was a medal given to Zhukov as commandeered the Battle of Moscow and defended the city stopping Hitler’s invasion. [CLICK]
- The Battle of Stalingrad was a significant battle as it is now seen as one of the most important battles of WWII and the turning point which led to Germany’s defeat. [CLICK]
- The Battle of Kursk is the largest tank battle in history with over approximately 9000 tanks. Upon winning this battle this turned the tides of the battle.
- Georgy had a serious stroke on December 1967 which left him hospitalized then subsequently passed away by another stroke at the age of 78. He also mentioned his passion about fishing.
White Coke (Coca-Cola)
- He enjoyed the beverage yet the Soviet government had deemed the liquid as ‘a sign of American imperialism’ which soon saw it as illicit. [CLICK]
- The first Coca-Cola, as known, is white or rather transparent. Nowadays the liquid is the caramel brown color that many would recognize.
- In Mongolia, a monument was erected (for the Battle of Khalkhin Gol). [CLICK]
- As well as a statue was erected of him appearing on horseback at a victory parade at Moscow. [CLICK]
- Even a planet was named after Zhukov being titled as 2132 Zhukov.
- 912,460 men
- 2,928 tanks
- 9,966 guns and mortars
- 12,110 aircraft
Casualties and losses
- 54,182 men[f]
- 323 tanks and assault guns destroyed, and ~600 tanks and assault guns damaged
- 159 aircraft
- ~500 guns
Battle of Kursk:[g]
- Approximately 198,000 MIA, KIA, & WIA (per German military medical data) 
- Estimate 760 tanks and assault guns destroyed,
- 681 aircraft (for 5–31 July)
Battle of Kursk:[g]
- 254,470 killed, missing or captured
- 608,833 wounded or sick[h]
- 6,064 tanks and assault guns destroyed or damaged[i]
- 1,626  – 1,961 aircraft
- 5,244 guns