From The Kitchen of: Yolanda Caccamo Quackenbush
* 3/4 cup (12 TBSP) of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
* 1 Cup of Powdered Sugar
* 1 Egg
* 1 tsp of Almond Extract
* 2 1/2 C. of All Purpose Flour
* 1/4 tsp. of Salt
~*~Optional~*~ Food Coloring (The recipe didn't call for it, but I thought they would look pretty colored, so I did)
* In a large bowl, mix the Butter and Powdered Sugar
* Add the Egg, Almond Extract and Salt and mix well.
* Add the Flour and mix until it forms a hard/dry dough
* At this point you can add your food coloring if you wish to. I used two different colors, so I had to divide my dough into two separate bowls.
* Cover the dough and let it chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
* Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
* Next you will need a clean flat surface, a rolling pin, two circle cutters (I used the top of my nonstick Pam spray and a 1 1/4 inch biscuit cutter) and a thin stick type tool to make the dots (I used a meat thermometer to poke the holes). Pretty much use whatever you have in your house that will make the button shape!
* Roll your dough out and cut the larger circles first (about 2 inch circle cutter)
* Lightly press the smaller circle cutter into the middle, making sure you do not cut all the way through
* With your meat thermometer or toothpick, make the button holes.
* Put parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and lay cookies on the sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes