Level 5 Instructor (All Disciplines)
Canoeing Ireland Level 5 Instructor
1.00 General Aims
The Level 5 Instructor Qualification is the highest instructional qualification awarded by the Canoeing Ireland. It is available through river, sea, open canoe and paddlesurf.
It aims to enable candidates to:
- Gain coaching skills of the highest international standard.
- Deliver and assess all Canoeing Ireland awards within their chosen discipline.
- Play an active role in aspects of the development of the sport.
- · Access cross discipline instructorships.
2.00 Training Process
A training process will be implemented in early 2017. This will involve a number of days of training and facilitation to build on the existing experience of the candidates and guide them towards their assessment.
3.00 Training Course Pre-requirements
- To access this training process candidates must hold the Level 4 Instructor qualification in their chosen discipline – kayak (river, sea, surf) or canoe.
- The assessment will involve the candidates running a two-day training course. This training course should be the equivalent of a level 5 skills training programme for the specific discipline in question. During the assessment candidates will be required to demonstrate all relevant skills and competencies of a Level 5 Instructor.
- Upon completion of the two days of training, the candidate will outline their thoughts on the standard of each of the group members and discuss their standard with assessors in relation to the standard of the level 5 skills award for that discipline.
Direct Assessment for pre-existing Level 4 Instructors
- For existing Level 4 Instructors (assessed before March 2016) there is an option to go straight for a direct assessment. This option will remain in place until the training process is implemented in 2018.
- Regardless of the result comprehensive written feedback will be given to the candidate.
- Assessors must be on the Canoeing Ireland Approved Level 5 Instructor Assessor Panel, or be approved by Canoeing Ireland.
- The assessment panel will comprise of current level 5 instructors. High level coaches/instructors from other sports and fields may be invited to sit on the panel as well.