Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Yield - 24 bars
18 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg + 2 egg yolks
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups + 3 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups chocolate chips (I used half bittersweet, half semisweet)
1 pound caramel candy squares, unwrapped
4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 ˚F and grease a 9x13” pan. Line with parchment paper and grease that as well. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and let cool to room temperature. Add to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat the butter with the sugars. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix in with the vanilla. Blend on medium-high speed until well combined. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to the butter mix and combine on low until just incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Unwrap the caramels and place a in a microwave safe bowl with the heavy cream. Heat on high in 30-second intervals stirring in between until the cream fully incorporates into the caramels, about 1:30-2 minutes.
- Spread half the cookie dough in the pan. Pour the caramel over the top and spread evenly. Sprinkling liberally with sea salt.
- Gently press the rest of the cookie dough on top of the caramel. Sprinkle with more sea salt. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is light brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack and refrigerate before cutting.