Painting Syllabus Enloe Magnet High School
Spring 2017 Klenow Room 1316
Art Goals Rewards
1. Develop an appreciation for all art forms 1. Develop a creative outlet
2. Develop an understanding of a variety of media 2. Improved self-esteem
3. Create a personal aesthetic 3. Fame & cash through contests
4. Become an independent thinker and problem solver
Basic Rules Discipline Procedures
1. Follow all rules in the student handbook 1. Warning
2. Respect the teacher & each other 2. Teacher Conference
3. Respect the room and supplies 3. Detention
Supplies; Painting students must always bring a pencil to class. We will make a palette that students may bring home at any time. In addition brushes will be provided for in-class and homework assignments. Students are to take care of them and return them at the end of the school year.
If students would like to purchase the following supplies they are recommended but optional;
shading pencil (ebony, or 6b or higher)
eraser - any kind
hand held pencil sharpener
Paint brushes for watercolor and acrylic various sizes (00-6) and styles; pointed round, flat, filbert, mop, etc.
These can be purchased at Office Depot, Staples, Jerry’s Artarama, Target, Walmart, etc.
- January 25-27 Paint Techniques
- Introduction to class; procedures, rules, rewards, website
- Deconstruction book setup; prime cover, glue pages, attach homework list, make folder, paint pages
- Make palette for acrylics
- Book work; practice paint techniques; 1. clean edge value separation,2. round stipple fade, 3. sfumato fade, 4. crosshatching with a flat brush.
- Design name tag or update previous using 2 of the paint methods
HOMEWORK - DUE Jan. 30-31 Take a GREAT portrait photo of yourself or someone in your life, consider lighting, mood, cropping, and composition. You may use your phone
- January 30- February 3rd Proportion, Composition
Portrait Unit- practice face parts, notes on proportion, the rules of a face.
- Book Work - Skin tone practice; red, yellow, brown, and white
- Using a grid to enlarge photo accurately. Grid photo, grid paper, contour portrait.
- Create a cardboard ground, prime and transfer drawing.
, add value, color, and texture
- Finish Texture Portrait
- Start Figure Drawing Unit; Book Work -Rules of the figure, life drawing practice from live models, gestures, and long poses.
Homework due 2/9-10 -page of gestures any style
- Figure painting. Using correct rules of proportion draw gestures from live models, then create a composition with the best figure and 2 gestures
Feburary 13-17 Perspective Unit Depth and Proportion
- Finish figure/gesture composition,
- Book Work-REVIEW the rules of 1 point and 2 point perspective and choose either;
- Create a monochromatic 1 point perspective space with at least 5 shapes.
- OR 2 point perspective in analogous colors. Create a realistic street scene with at least 3 buildings.
- February 20-24 Color Theory and Perspective
Homework due 2/23-24 -your room in 1 point perspective.
February 27-March 3 Color Theory and Perspective
- Finish perspective paintings
- Mount and hang favorite works in hallway-Class post it critique
- Review for quiz on paint techniques, perspective, and color theory
- Start -Animal in complementary colors; choose an animal in motion, create an awesome balanced interesting composition, create tension, show textures, movement, and break the picture plane 3 times. Choose either watercolor OR Acrylic
Book Work- fur texture
- March 6-10 Movement, Complementary Colors
- Finish animal painting. Show movement in complementary colors
Laura Ball -Alternate version
- March 13-17 Life Drawing, Color
Homework -due 3/16-17 -Animal Study based on Laura Ball
- Start Ordinary Extraordinary still life- choose a small simple object and enlarge it at least 10 times it’s normal size, repeat, create unexpected new images out of your object. Use either watercolor or acrylic
Book Work - glass texture-metal texture
- Watercolor review- Use at least 4 techniques
- March 20-24 Life Drawing, Color
Finish Watercolor still life Ordinary Extraordinary
- March 27-30 Ordinary Extraordinary Due
- Impressionist landscape using Q-tips and acrylic paint
- 1. Begin with a plein air study in the courtyard or breezeway.
- 2. Take or bring a photo of a place that’s important to you (your yard, your favorite park as a child, the ocean, the closest greenway, etc.) and create an impressionistic painting based on your photo
- block in color in acrylic and paint with Qtips
April 3-7 Homework due-mini still life, 3 objects overlapping, tell a story with objects.Metal/Glass Study
Finish Pointilism Landscape
- April 17-21 Found Object Painting
- Homework DUE 4/20 - Surreal Figure Homework - inspired design
- Book Work, brainstorm and create thumbnail sketches of your unusual surface design idea.
- Start “Painting on an unusual surface” choose a bottle or toy or any found object, prime and design in the style of your choice. See Nick Gentry
April 24-28 Surrealism, Form, Color
Continue on painted object; choose and prime an object (bottle, shoe, box, apron, anything). Design a surreal image with a strong focal point. Choose a color relationship; analogous, monochromatic, complementary, or full balanced.
- Finish painted object
- Start Rosenquist composition-combine 3 unlikely objects, focus on texture and composition.
- BookWork - masking out, preserve the whites
- Rosenquist continued - combine 3 unlikely objects, focus on texture and composition.
Homework due 5/11 -Rosenquist study; 3 things that don’t belong together like; food, lipstick, part of a car.
May 15-19 Life drawing, paint techniques
- Finish Rosenquist -focus on texture
- Start Art History Mash UP- Mix a piece of art history with something from pop culture.
- Study the art of Matthew Quick
- Finish Art History Mashup
- Finish all projects.
Book Experimentation. Choose 3 off the list and add to, alter your d.book.
Book DUE June 2nd
May 30-June 2nd
- Study for finals, clean out shelves, turn in book
June 5-8 EXAMS