Painting Syllabus Enloe Magnet High School
Spring 2018 Klenow Room 1316
Art Goals Rewards
1. Develop an appreciation of art 1. Develop a creative outlet
2. Develop an understanding of different paint styles/media 2. Improved self-esteem
3. Create a personal aesthetic 3. Fame & cash through contests
4. Become an independent thinker and problem solver
Grade Policy; 75% in class work
15% sketchbook work
Basic Rules Discipline Procedures
1. Follow all rules in the student handbook 1. Warning
2. Respect the teacher & each other 2. Teacher Conference
3. Respect the room and supplies 3. Detention
Painting students must always bring a pencil to class. We will make a palette that students may bring home at any time. In addition brushes will be provided for in-class and homework assignments. Students are to take care of them and return them at the end of the school year. If students would like to purchase the following supplies they are recommended but optional;
shading pencil (ebony, or 6b or higher)
eraser - any kind
hand held pencil sharpener
Paint brushes for watercolor and acrylic various sizes (00-6) and styles; pointed round, flat, filbert, mop, etc.These can be purchased at Office Depot, Staples, Jerry’s Artarama, Target, Walmart, etc.
January - February
DUE 2/1 - glass texture-metal texture
Homework - DUE 2/16
Marina Mika inspired Figure
Draw a figure and COVER it with patterns
CLASS WORK -
January - February
Design a tree that includes; plastic, salt,
Straw, alcohol, watercolor pencils, painters tape.
Due March 2
2 pages of gestures any style
Due March 22 -Unravelled
Draw an incomplete image, show it unravelling, coming apart, undone.
Animal ReDesign Due 4/13
Draw an animal on one page of your book, on the following page draw it while emphasizing an element or principle of design of your choice; shape, color, pattern, movement, etc.
Landscape drawing from life DUE 4/27
Draw a landscape or cityscape. You may draw the view out of your window.
Animal in complementary colors; choose an animal in motion, create an awesome balanced interesting composition, create tension, show textures, movement, and break the picture plane 3 times. Choose either watercolor OR Acrylic
Impressionist landscape using Q-tips and acrylic paint
1. Begin with a plein air study in the courtyard or breezeway.
2. Take or bring a photo of a place that’s important to you (your yard, your favorite park as a child, the ocean, the closest greenway, etc.) and create an impressionistic painting based on your photo
Homework DUE 5/11
- Surreal Figure Homework - Draw a face or figure with a surprise! Add a dreamy unexpected twist.
DUE 5/25 BOOK DUE;
Figure notes, fur study, experimental pages, minimum 5 homework sketches, craftmanship, cover art front and back.
Found Object Surreal Painting
Book Work, brainstorm and create thumbnail sketches of your unusual surface design idea.
Rosenquist composition-combine 3 unlikely objects, focus on texture and composition. Use watercolor OR acrylic. Start with magazine collage.