Administrative Assistant and Receptionist Job Description
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for the administrative support of church staff. This includes leadership and coordination of the volunteer office support team, document creation and distribution, handling of incoming and outgoing mail, and overall management of the operation of the church office.
Essential Job Functions
- Create documents for church staff as needed, including letters, informational flyers, postcards and other documents as directed.
- Lead the Office Support team in the creation, preparation and distribution of requested administrative tasks.
- Create and distribute hardcopy and/or e-newsletters as directed.
- Function as the central point of contact for all significant congregational life events (births, deaths, illnesses, etc.) and communicate such events to all church staff in a timely manner.
- Purchase and send situation specific greeting cards as directed upon notification of significant congregational life events.
- Function as “go to” person for all matters pertaining to the smooth operation of the church office (reordering of office supplies, copier machine use and repair, coordination of office resource scheduling, ensuring the office is clean and orderly, etc.).
- Answer incoming calls on the office operator line and direct calls as necessary.
- Manage and respond to operator voicemails as needed to ensure callers receive a timely response and/or issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Distribute regular mail daily.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 1 to 3 years experience as an administrative assistant in a church or business environment. Possession of an AA/BA Degree in Business or related field is a plus. The successful individual will also possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Publisher), database, and other related applications.