Before Race Day
- Help recruit extra volunteers/course monitors, if necessary (check with Kevin)
- Purchase food if no one has signed up for snacks: fruit, chips, trail mix, nuts, cookies, etc. NOTE: during Covid, individually packaged snacks are preferred
(Ask Kevin for budget amount and keep receipts for reimbursement.)
- Print and bring the pre-race announcement script (from Kevin)
- Print and bring a few copies of the course map (from DSE website)
- Print and bring about 3 copies of the list of pre-registered runners (from signup sheet)
- Print and bring permit (ask Kevin)
- Familiarize yourself with the race announcements and course
Race Day: Pre-Race (arrive 1 hour before race start)
Kevin says, “Relax, take each race procedure one step at a time.” :-)
- Bring food unless there’s a designated volunteer for snacks
- Bring utensils, if necessary (serving platters, knives, cutting board)
- Bring paper towels
- Bring garbage bags
- Bring or email receipt for food to Treasurer (Akemi Iizuka)
- Help where needed: unloading equipment, setup, registration, etc.
- Verify that the volunteers who have signed up have arrived and are familiar with their jobs:
- Registration (3):
- Tag Puller:
- Stringer: (usually Bill Woolf)
- Mover: (often John Albertoni)
- Ribbons: (usually Bobby Marty)
- Timers (2):
- Random Scorer: (usually Kevin Lee)
- Course monitors: (if needed)
- Herd everyone to the start 5-10 minutes before start; try to elevate yourself above the group.
- Deliver the (very brief) pre-race race announcement in your own words.
- Be sure to take the cash from the cash box at the registration table and give it to Kevin Lee
Race Day: During/Post-Race
- Finish setup: finish line, food, etc.
- Collect the first spindle after 5 women have finished.
- Determine the winners (top 5 men and women) and record on the sheet.
- Announce the awards and hand out ribbons to today’s superstars (no need to wait until the last runners finish).
- Make sure that both spindles, top 5 sheet, random scoring sheet, non-member waiver, and volunteer sign-in sheet are given to the person who will be entering the results onto the website. Double check to make sure that the volunteer sign-up sheet is accurate, writing in the names of any additional volunteers that assisted that weren’t originally on the signup sheet
- Help break down/clean up tables and finish line equipment.
Tips for a successful race:
- Do not read the announcement verbatim; please familiarize yourself with it prior to the race and deliver the key points.
- Do not put all the food out at once, so that it will last until the last runners finish.
- Regular Volunteers/Coordinators:
- Course Markings = Kevin Lee
- Unload Truck / Setup finish line = Vince French
- Timers = Vince French, Kevin Lee
- Stringer = Bill Woolf
- Supplies such as race tags, pins - contact Chewey Lam
- Supplies such as race forms - contact Terri Rourke or Marsi Hidekawa
- Ribbons - contact Bobby Marty
- Who brings what: (most supplies will be in the van)
- Vince = Race forms (Race Waiver, Volunteer Waiver, Top five, Membership, and race schedules); 1 Cash Box; Race tags (white, orange, and green); Safety pins, Self timer holder; Stringers, Clip Boards; writing pens; ipad for timing
- Joe, Terri, or Marsi = back up supplies
- Water/Gatorade/Cups = Vince French
- Equipment Manager = Vince French