Before Race Day
- Help recruit extra volunteers/course monitors, if necessary (check with Kevin)
- Purchase food: washed/cut fruit, pretzels, chips, trail mix, nuts, cookies, etc.
(Ask Kevin for budget amount and keep receipts for reimbursement.)
- Print and bring the pre-race announcement script (from Kevin)
- Print and bring several copies of the course map (from DSE website)
- Print and bring the list of pre-registered runners (from Janet)
- Print and bring permit (ask Kevin)
- Familiarize yourself with the race announcements and course
Race Day: Pre-Race (arrive 1 hour and 30 minutes before race start)
Kevin says, “Relax, take each race procedure one step at a time.” :-)
- Bring food
- Bring utensils, if necessary (serving platters, knives, cutting board)
- Bring paper towels
- Bring garbage bags
- Bring or email receipt for food to Treasurer (Chikara Omine)
- Help where needed: unloading equipment, setup, registration, etc.
- Delegate volunteers:
- Registration (4):
- Tag Puller:
- Timers (2):
- Random Scorer:
- Course monitors:
- Herd everyone to the start 5-10 minutes before start; try to elevate yourself above the group.
- Deliver the (very brief) pre-race race announcement in your own words.
Race Day: During/Post-Race
- Finish setup: finish line, food, etc.
- Collect the first spindle after 5 women have finished.
- Determine the winners (top 5 men and women) and record on the sheet.
- Announce the awards and hand out ribbons to today’s superstars (within the 15 min/mi timeline).
- Make sure that both spindles, self-timer hanger, awards sheet, waivers, and volunteer sign-in sheet are placed into RD box/given to the person who will be entering the results onto the website.
- Help break down/clean up tables and finish line equipment.
- Ask Calvin for your RD rewards if this is your 1st or 3rd time race directing this year.
Tips for a successful race:
- Do not read announcement verbatim; please familiarize yourself with it prior to the race and deliver the key points.
- Do not put all the food out at once, so that it will last until the last runners finishes.
- Regular Volunteers/Coordinators:
- Course Markings = Kevin Lee
- Clothing sales = Calvin Chan
- Registration = George Sacco, Calvin Chan, Jimmy Yu
- Unload Truck / Setup finish line = Geores Buttner
- Timers = George Sacco, Kevin Lee
- George = Race forms (Race Waiver, Volunteer Waiver, Top five, Membership, and race schedules); 1 Cash Box; Race tags (white, orange, and green); Safety pins, Self timer holder; Stringers, Clip Boards; writing pens; and one emergency timer and back up paper rolls for timer.
- Calvin = back up supplies and DSE t-shirts
- Water/Gatorade/Cups = Jim Kauffold
- Equipment Manager = Vince French