Winter Minestrone with Turnips, Potatoes and Cabbage
- 1 cup dried cannellini or borlotti beans (Cook the day before)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 small leek, diced
- 1 pound turnips
- ½ pound yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup bean cooking liquid
- ½ head cabbage, chopped
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat ¼ olive oil, add celery, onion and carrots. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Cut up cabbage and cook until tender in salted boiling water.
- Add cloves, sprigs, bay leaf and salt. Cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add leek, cabbage, turnips and potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans and the bean liquid and cooked cabbage.
- Serve and garnish