



Notes

Jul 9, 2025

Weekly DAO & Governance Call (#2)

Attachments 📎 Weekly DAO & Governance Call (#2)

Meeting records 📄 Transcript 🎙️ Recording

Summary

Eugene Leventhal provided updates on the KYC/KYB process, Co-creation Cycle 3 launch, and the selection process for working groups and councils, with announcements expected by July 14th. Eugene Leventhal and Ivey SEED Gov reported significant progress in delegate training, with content open-sourced and selections announced next week. Juan Molina discussed the proposed Community Council, its structure, budget, and distinction from the Growth Council, with support from Eugene Leventhal and questions from Connor McCormick. Eugene Leventhal also announced a new governance podcast and addressed AI tooling and past proposal rationales with Eren Targ, while Ivey SEED Gov shared positive feedback on delegate meetups.

Details

- **KYC/KYB Process Updates** Eugene Leventhal provided an update on the Know Your Customer/Know Your Business (KYC/KYB) process, acknowledging delays due to initial vendor miscommunication regarding service scope and user interface complaints ([00:00:00](#)). They confirmed a new vendor is being finalized, aiming for setup by late this week or early next, which should streamline future DAO and foundation-related KYC/KYB procedures. This process is crucial for GCR payments and local node drivers, with accommodations for those who have recently completed KYC within the Scroll ecosystem ([00:01:06](#)).
- **Co-creation Cycle 3 Launch** Eugene Leventhal announced the launch of Co-creation Cycle 3 for next week, focusing on organizational design for the DAO,

including identifying necessary work and structuring councils or working groups. The workshops will be shortened to 60 minutes due to async data input being handled via Harmonica, with a kickoff portion on July 16th ([00:03:06](#)). The cycle will involve multiple workshops and data input periods, with the governance team ultimately producing proposals for emerging councils ([00:04:18](#)).

- **Applications for Working Groups and Councils** Eugene Leventhal expressed gratitude for the high volume of applications for the governance contribution recognition working group and the ecosystem growth council, noting the positive challenge of selecting from many qualified individuals ([00:05:13](#)). The goal is to announce selections on the forum by Monday, July 14th, initiating a 3-day veto window, with a more informal veto process in place if at least three vetos are received ([00:06:17](#)). Connor McCormick inquired about public access to applications, to which Eugene Leventhal clarified that applicant names and decision logic would be posted on the forum with consent, and confirmed private inquiries for individual application status could be made ([00:08:20](#)).
- **Delegate Training Process** Eugene Leventhal reported significant progress in the delegate training process, particularly with content development, and thanked the Stable Labs team and SEED Gov team for their active contributions ([00:09:27](#)). Ivey SEED Gov added that content is being finalized with curriculum developers, with applicants expected to be informed of their selection early next week, and confirmed the content will be open-sourced ([00:10:29](#)) ([00:12:49](#)). Connor McCormick encouraged community review of the content, emphasizing that input would be appreciated by curriculum authors ([00:11:32](#)).
- **Community Council Proposal** Juan Molina discussed the proposed Community Council, currently open for feedback on the forum, highlighting its purpose of separating community growth from ecosystem growth and focusing on local node initiatives ([00:12:49](#)). They clarified that the council's growth function for local nodes involves identifying and supporting founders globally, building on Scroll's past community engagement strategies ([00:14:03](#)). Juan Molina emphasized the need for a dedicated council to manage the significant bandwidth required for evaluating and supporting numerous regional interests in local nodes ([00:17:15](#)).
- **Community Council Structure and Selection** Juan Molina elaborated on the Community Council's selection process, which will mirror the EGC's initial open application, seeking individuals experienced in community growth with global context ([00:19:58](#)). The long-term vision includes a more decentralized selection

process for future council renewals ([00:21:28](#)). Eugene Leventhal supported the council's establishment, noting its importance in managing the increasing volume of local node proposals and preventing delays, while reaffirming the DAO's ultimate authority over ongoing initiatives ([00:18:30](#)) ([00:23:44](#)).

- **Community Council Grant Pilot and Budget** Ivey SEED Gov inquired about the Community Council's plans for managing grants, events, and meetups, to which Juan Molina responded that this would be part of the council's responsibilities, initially as a pilot program ([00:24:47](#)). Juan Molina clarified that the grants pilot program is aimed at supporting communities not yet ready for a full local node or those not prioritized for the larger local node initiative, focusing on low-budget activations ([00:31:12](#)). Juan Molina also addressed budget questions, explaining the Community Council's larger budget compared to the EGC is due to pre-defined initiatives with set budgets, unlike the EGC's open-ended approach ([00:27:26](#)).
- **Talent Protocol and Budget Allocation** Juan Molina explained that the 24,000 USD allocated for Talent Protocol within the Community Council budget is intended to create a central hub for builders and founders within the Scroll ecosystem, enabling a holistic view of their progress and performance ([00:28:35](#)). This hub would also facilitate future incentive programs based on merit and encourage collaboration with other projects ([00:29:49](#)). Eugene Leventhal reiterated that all unused funds from council budgets would return to the DAO Treasury, and the DAO retains the right to veto or block problematic actions ([00:33:39](#)).
- **Distinction Between Community and Growth Councils** Connor McCormick raised a question about merging the Community Council with the existing Growth Council. Eugene Leventhal clarified that while there is a slight overlap in capital allocation for small grants, the Community Council's primary focus is local nodes and community engagement, distinct from the Growth Council's broader growth efforts ([00:35:07](#)). The intent is to have separate councils with different lanes of responsibility to maximize efficiency, allowing for ongoing review of requirements and boundaries during the co-creation cycle ([00:37:33](#)).
- **New Governance Podcast Launch** Eugene Leventhal announced the launch of a new governance podcast, co-hosted with Jamila, which will feature discussions with individuals building visions for the future of governance, starting with academics ([00:39:42](#)). The podcast aims to inform the longer-term roadmapping

of the DAO, and they encouraged listeners to suggest guests or relevant topics ([00:40:41](#)).

- **AI Discussion and Community Tooling** Eren Targ from Diplomats inquired about the next steps for the AI discussion and potential ideas for AI tooling. Eugene Leventhal stated that while an RFP for AI tooling is likely in August, the focus for now is on ongoing co-creation and delegate training ([00:42:46](#)). They mentioned a community-developed Telegram bot for notifications as an example of emerging tools and encouraged community members to reach out with specific ideas ([00:43:49](#)). Eren Targ also asked about updating rationale for past proposals on the negation game, to which Eugene Leventhal and Connor McCormick advised focusing on future proposals, though there is no restriction on updating past ones ([00:44:48](#)).
- **Delegate Meetups and Future Engagements** Ivey SEED Gov shared a positive experience about a recent Scroll delegate meetup during ATC, thanking all who joined and OG for sponsorship ([00:45:46](#)). Eugene Leventhal noted that formal events would be planned for larger conferences like Devcon but encouraged delegates attending other conferences to organize smaller meetups, with potential support for food and drinks if costs are minimal. They concluded by appreciating the community's time and engagement, noting the upcoming busy month for Scroll DAO governance ([00:46:51](#)).

Suggested next steps

- ☐ Eugene Leventhal will keep being transparent with the timing for the new vendor and keep everyone updated on the KYC/KYB process.
- ☐ Connor McCormick will message Jame to confirm whether his application for the selection process was received.
- ☐ Juan Molina will draft a proposal for the structure and application process of the grants pilot program.
- ☐ The group will check the relevant links in chat and reach out to Jamila or Eugene Leventhal with any questions about the co-creation cycles.
- ☐ The group will inform Eugene Leventhal if they applied and are unsure whether their form was submitted.
- ☐ The group will review the delegate training program content and inform Connor McCormick or the team if they have any questions or feedback.

- ☐ The group will provide feedback on the community council on the forum or by directly messaging Juan, Gabby, Jamila, or Eugene Leventhal.

You should review Gemini's notes to make sure they're accurate. [Get tips and learn how Gemini takes notes](#)

Please provide feedback about using Gemini to take notes in a [short survey](#).



Transcript

Jul 9, 2025

Weekly DAO & Governance Call (#2) - Transcript

00:00:00

Eugene Leventhal: GMGM everyone. Today is Wednesday, July 9th. This is the second governance call of the day. Uh it's just after 100 p.m. on the east coast of the states. Uh just after 700 p.m. uh in CST in Europe. Um so yeah, welcome everyone. Today we're just going to go over some uh elements of what's going on on the governance side. Um, and yeah, we we do have a short agenda for the day, but it's not overly packed. Uh, Jamila, if you don't mind, jump into the next slide. Um, yeah, we just want to go over some quick updates from our side. So, first off is KYBKYC. Um, apologies that this has become a drawn out process to give the full context. We chose a partner. We got a free trial from them. There was a miscommunication on whether or not it was just KYC or KYC and KYB. Turned out it was just KYC and we misunderstood that part. So that was why those who needed to do KYB.

00:01:06

Eugene Leventhal: No one's had the chance to do that yet. Long story short, we got complaints about the UI with the tool that we had chosen. We're choosing a different tool. We're finalizing legal contracts with them hopefully today uh at latest tomorrow and things should be set up by sometime end of this week, early next. Uh, so I'll keep being transparent with our timing, but yeah, we're close to locking in this new vendor and we're just going to lock them in for the next year. So once this is in place, KYC, KYB for all things DAO related uh and foundation related will be a lot smoother going forward. Uh, yes, Conor.

Connor McCormick: I did not mean to raise my

Eugene Leventhal: Cool. Um so yeah and this is mainly right now to finish up the GCR payments but this is also for if someone uh is the main driver of a local node but you are not getting a GCR payment you will still have to be KYC KYB and I know we've communicated that to all the relevant parties but again apologies for the delay.

00:02:07

Eugene Leventhal: Uh and then there might be some members of the ecosystem growth council um and/or the GCR working group, the governance contribution recognition working group who might not be delegates and who in turn have not gone through KYC yet. Um I also realize this is another thing that happened unintentionally because we've switched our process for KYC. If you've done KYC for anything in the SC scroll ecosystem in the last at least 3 to 6 months. Uh just because processes necessitate it doesn't mean you literally have to go do it again. Uh so like we just need to know that you were good. Uh and they for us like we have to redo them from my understanding every six months. So just keep that in mind. If you're chosen for something that has a KYC requirement, but you just did it for uh G for the governance contribution, feel free to flag that uh and and we'll obviously work with you. We don't want to add unnecessary reporting for folks. Any questions, concerns regarding KYCK KYB related stuff?

00:03:06

Eugene Leventhal: And again, apologies for the delays there. That one seems straightforward, so I'll keep the awkward pause a little shorter. Feel free to DM J or I on that one or just shout it out in the group chat if anything. Uh, all right. Next thing is co-creation cycle 3. CCC 3 is about to launch next week, which we are very excited about. The focus of this one is specifically going to be about uh org design for the DAO, right? So it's thinking through what is the work to be done uh what uh should be done but is not being done how can we better structure that and what kind of councils or working groups should exist for that. So that's going to be exactly what we dive into. Uh the calendar should already have been updated and let me quickly update that. Nope, it has not been updated. So the uh the workshops that we initially put in the calendar were 90 minutes to account for data input time. uh we have chosen to partner with harmonica uh and to use them as an async uh kind of uh you know chat interface style data input uh as an alternative.

00:04:18

Eugene Leventhal: As a result of that we will be shortening the workshops to 60 minutes uh just to have to ask a little less of y'all if y'all are doing the async data input uh and we can get all that information uh we'll be able to shorten the workshops a little bit. So yeah, that will be another thing uh we're excited to try. So again, Wednesday, July 16th, a week from today, both calls that day will include a kickoff portion. We'll the harmonica team will give a quick intro to harmonica. That way if anyone has questions or anything, uh you can get a sense of what to expect there. We'll also have a post put up that day that says for those who can't join the calls but want to contribute async, this is how you can contribute async and follow along. Um, and then folks will be able to fill out the harmonica between July 16th and whatever date that Saturday is. That should be the 19th. Monday the 21st, we'll host a workshop. Wednesday the 23rd, we will digest it together.

00:05:13

Eugene Leventhal: There will be another harmonica open for people to fill out through that Saturday, which I guess should be the 26th. And then Monday the 28th, we will host another workshop. and then two weeks um uh or rather the Wednesday right after so that will be July 30th uh we will digest it all together uh and then the governance team will produce the proposals for whatever councils emerge from that co-creation cycle. So yeah, we're super excited about it. Uh thank you Jamila for posting the relevant links in chat. Feel free to check those out if you're not sure what I'm talking about when I say co-creation cycles. Um and yeah, let us know if you have any questions, thoughts, concerns. And at any point, please feel free to interrupt me with that virtual hand. Uh, but I'm just going to go ahead and jump to the applications, which huge thank you to everyone who has applied to both the governance contribution recognition working group and the ecosystem growth council. Uh, when doing these things, you never know uh if you're going to even have enough applicants to have a proper process to recruit.

00:06:17

Eugene Leventhal: uh we do which gives us the challenge of picking amongst more good people than there are seats. So that is a lovely problem to have. Thank you all for

applying and for uh kind of self- selecting into the the buckets where you all feel more comfortable and active. So uh we have our final interviews by end of day tomorrow. Our goal, our stretch goal is to try to get something up on the forum by Friday. Uh realistically we'll commit to Monday is when we announce it. uh we'll try to do earlier if possible and that will uh put in place the 3-day v veto window. So uh if we get it up Monday morning then folks have until Wednesday night uh to flag veto. Uh and at this point um yeah we we'll need to see more folks jumping in. So if we see an initial uh set of folks announcing that they would like to veto it. Uh you know we don't have a formal vote function in place for this yet. So, we're going to do a little more informally.

00:07:13

Eugene Leventhal: If we see at least three vetos come up on the forum, then we're going to directly nudge everyone and say that like, hey, vetos are starting to come up. Uh, and depending uh and rather than like once we see uh the delegates start coming in and getting more active uh we will kind of pause the process and try to better understand how to uh ameliate the situation. But obviously hopefully folks will will understand and and be in agreement with uh our decision. Um and of course we will also ask people to not you know hey I'm trying to start a veto process cuz I didn't get selected. Uh and like we we understand that these are competitive and um you know at the end of the day we have to treat these like part-time jobs. Uh so again it is going to be a really hard choice for us because there really were a lot of great applications. But uh yeah you will see our logic on it soon enough. Any questions, thoughts, concerns relating to anything I've said so far?

00:08:20

Connor McCormick: Is there a place to review um where the applications which uh whose applications have been received?

Eugene Leventhal: not publicly because not everyone was comfortable with having their information included in the when we had the applications for both. We asked for consent if people are comfortable with us disclosing their name or their full application. Um, as we position the process, we would post all of that with our rationale of who we chose. So, in our forum post, it'll be here's who we are suggesting to be the council. Here's the link to you could see everyone who applied and here's our decision logic of

why we chose who we chose. That's roughly going to be the post that we're putting up. Um, yeah. So,

Connor McCormick: I

Eugene Leventhal: that's

Connor McCormick: guess

Eugene Leventhal: the current state.

Connor McCormick: uh my implicit question here is um uh can I see whether my application u made it into

Eugene Leventhal: Oh,

Connor McCormick: the

Eugene Leventhal: if you're saying if you applied but haven't been reached out to for whatever reason.

00:09:27

Eugene Leventhal: Yes,

Connor McCormick: Yeah.

Eugene Leventhal: we can confirm that uh after. Let let's do that in DMs just because I don't have those up at

Connor McCormick: Yep.

Eugene Leventhal: the moment and don't want to

Connor McCormick: No

Eugene Leventhal: hold

Connor McCormick: worries.

Eugene Leventhal: everyone

Connor McCormick: I'll

Eugene Leventhal: up.

Connor McCormick: I'll message Jame. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: Cool. And yeah, if there's anyone else who has applied for those um and you're not sure whether or not your form was submitted or something like that, please let us know and we'll try to coordinate that ASAP. With that, we also have the delegate training process uh moving ahead and there's been a lot of super exciting activity there uh especially with uh the content starting to come together and a huge thank you uh to the stable labs team uh with Kenna and Noma for both leading the proposal getting that whole process started as well as uh seedgv uh team with Ivy and Tino uh for really being super active in it as well as uh you know everyone else who's there and I'm not going to be able to remember everyone's names, but I see like Connor

and Alex or two right here, and I know Marlene has been super active.

00:10:29

Eugene Leventhal: So, yeah, just thank you to everyone who's been contributing there. I guess would anyone who's been involved in that process want to give a quick update? Not everyone at once now. Yes. Uh Ivy, please.

Ivey SEED Gov: Yeah, everyone. We're just getting the content together and working with the curriculum devs. So, expecting to have applicants informed about being selected, I don't know, probably early next week or so. So, super happy, super excited. The program is going to be great. Looks great and it's going to be interesting. So, I hope you can echo on that, build on top of that, and yeah, super excited overall for this initiative. We'll keep you posted in the forum as well. So you can check that updates there as well and of course reach out if anything. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, thank you, Ivy. Uh, Connor, I saw you had also unmuted. I don't know if you wanted to add anything else there.

00:11:32

Connor McCormick: Sir, um we're at the point now where the content has largely been produced and so if there's anyone in the community who would like to uh review the content and ensure that the um the components of governance that they care about most is representative of their uh knowledge. Now would be a great time to do so or if not now then sometime soon. It's not that we can necessarily take unilateral unilateral edits. Um but I'm certain that um most of the curriculum authors would be grateful for any community input onto it. Um and um is there anything else that comes to mind? I think that's it. If anyone has any questions, please let us know.

Eugene Leventhal: And if you're not sure who the us is there, please always feel free to ping Jamila or I and we can route you to the right person depending on what question or concern you have. Yeah, that will be coming very going live very soon and all the content will be open sourced. So, uh, yeah, whether you totally missed that this is happening and didn't get a chance to apply or you're not selected into the small limited group.

00:12:49

Eugene Leventhal: Um, yeah, and that for the small limited group that can qualify for the uh additional uh, you know, delegation at the end. Nonetheless, all the s all the content itself will be open source and assuming this first iteration goes well, we will most likely be running them again in the future, which will be fun to do. All right. So, next up is community council, which is now up on the forum. Uh, do we have uh Juan here?

Juan Molina: Of course.

Eugene Leventhal: Yes, you do. I thought I Okay. Do you want to hop in and share a little bit about the council uh and what you're thinking there?

Juan Molina: Absolutely. So, uh first things first, yeah, as I mentioned in the forum, very happy to see a lot of engagement with this proposal. Um, and I guess I'll take this space to clarify on some of like the or maybe bring up for discussion some of like the broad broader uh feedback items that uh were brought out. For example, um it's it's considered that there's too much overlap with the EGC and the EGC's goals.

00:14:03

Juan Molina: Um and based on my rationale that I've also posted on on the forum already, if you haven't checked that out, I highly recommend it. I answer to all feedback from the forum and the negation games as well. Um but essentially um I guess our thought process behind these councils uh serves several different purposes. Um one of them being

Eugene Leventhal: Okay.

Juan Molina: uh separating the the the three core pillars of scroll dow which are governance, ecosystem and community. Uh secondly, um allowing this community council to really focus in that community growth aspect. So while I think that local nodes being the major initiative that's proposed for the community council to take over, um we've we've oriented local nodes uh towards a growth function uh by identifying and supporting founders all over the world uh at a very localized context. But the truth is that it's still majorly us trying to uh grow a presence and collaborating locally in the regions of priority uh that we've identified uh and regions who are interested and um comply with certain conditions that we think are beneficial for us to like pay attention to.

00:15:29

Juan Molina: Um and so far I mean for the past two years community has been a very interesting thing. It has been like a different stage approach for squirrel where initially we were trying to identify key stakeholders around the world. Uh what are those communities that are doing cool stuff all over the world. Uh then we progressed to okay now let's start supporting those communities that we think are really cool. Um and part of supporting those communities was also okay we're going to support these communities intentionally so that they also participate in our governance once whenever that comes up right so it was a very intentional approach then came TGE a bunch of communities uh got a lot of support from TGE uh in the initial airdrop um and today I think Loconotes is just the the evolution of all that progress and now okay we we started of you know we supported all over the world we created relationships um now let's focus in the growth aspect of how do we make sure that scroll wins uh and that's where Loconode comes in right um so yeah I think there's a huge community context um in the think in the thought process of local nodes um the context of understanding how Latin America uh works and uh understanding why Mexico is important, Brazil is important, why Kenya, Nigeria, Korea, Malaysia and all these regions uh are key places is is very much part of like the work we've been doing as a community team for the past couple years at scroll.

00:17:15

Juan Molina: So I mean I think it's very different and I think as of now that sole purpose of growth is just the first stage of local nodes. We see that evolving as we go. Maybe in the future they're more focused in community, more focused in medication, more focused in something else. I don't know. But growth was just the logical first step for Locotes. Um and we also think that um yeah like when I when I started when we started you know discussing about local nodes initiative a big question mark was bandwidth so we were like okay let's do four priority region regions so that we can manage you know like the bandwidth of taking care of these uh local node proposals and teams etc. But then what ended up happening was we got interest from many other regions. Um and bandwidth just completely changed in that sense. So definitely a lot of work to be done in terms of like evaluating a re a region sitting down in a call every week with a node checking what they're planning and um yeah just imagine like that context switching in in in in you know every other day or every other hour.

00:18:30

Juan Molina: It's it's it's tough. So there's also like an argument towards that. It's just a huge bandwidth and clumping everything in one single council would we would end up with like a huge 10person council and I think that defeats the purpose, right? Because we want to make these councils become efficient ways to execute governance initiatives within the DAO. Um and then then then and that's another that's another key aspect is um the volume of proposals that are being processed. Uh maybe Eugene you want to you want to share a little bit more under that side of the logic behind why these councils will be important and why we actually think that more c more councils will um be created in the mid to long term of the DAO um to make sure that you know we're we're just being very efficient very efficient with how we process proposals um and I think the key aspect of all these councils and the ones that we foresee coming in the future is that at the end of the day we still are going to uh the DAO still retains full authority over um the initiatives that are ongoing right so if at any given point you know DAO decides or even like from foundation side also we can spark this conversation of hey um you know this is not going great this needs either to change drastically or we need

00:19:58

Juan Molina: to kill it we need to stop it then the Dow has all the authority to do so. But in general, I think uh yeah, I think this is is more of becoming more efficient with local nodes, ensuring that they prosper in the long term. Um and I'm already cooking other initiatives from the community side that I'm pretty sure this council will be very useful in the mid to long term. Um so yeah very bullish on the council. Um I think the other questions or like big feedbacks were around um I think almost everyone was wondering about like the selection process. I think it would be very similar to the EGC where foundation will do the initial process of um opening uh an open application for anyone to apply. uh and the criterias that we're looking for uh maybe I need to like specify them further but essentially people who are uh very well experienced in community growth um and you might ask okay what's community growth I just saw a tweet uh earlier today which was community is probably one of the most misunderstood roles or departments out there in web 3 but generally speaking is about uh having the context around the

world of what's happening who's building, what's doing cool stuff, who's doing well, um what's beneficial for a project in which stage.

00:21:28

Juan Molina: So at scroll right now, we're like focused in growth. So how can we leverage that community context um for growth? Um so yeah, I would see that we would bring in people to this council that have a lot of experience around that that would help me evaluate. Uh for example, I have a huge like I have a massive LATAM context. uh like I understand I want to think that I understand lap time very well. Maybe someone that understands uh Africa or Southeast Asia better than I do would be pretty pretty cool to have. Um so that's just thinking out loud of uh of the selection process. And the idea is that uh within the charter before renewal of the council there will be an actual uh setup in place for u a more decentralized selection process. maybe the the council before it um before it's renewed, they go over the new application process and now it's a decentralized uh selection instead of the foundation just um doing it on ourselves. Um yeah, so that's overall what I'm thinking.

00:22:33

Juan Molina: Um I also dumped a bunch of thoughts and and um clarifications on the forum, so if there's anything that's still not clear, please do let me know. Um, yeah. Have you had for Okay, that's not for me. Okay. Cypher Badger, nice to see you here, the way

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, I'll just quickly uh jump in. So, yeah, thank you so much for setting that context, Juan. uh you know as mentioned in various previous discussions and I mean part of the goal of the co-creation cycle is very much to explore kind of what is this other work needing to be done you know when the DAO started last October into November we set out these three initial priority areas of ecosystem growth global community and governance iterations we see those three as some of the logical first councils but that doesn't obviously capture all of the related work, right? So, Hana's already put forth the community one. I was hoping to have already posted the the governance iterations one already, but uh at this point might just wait for the co-creation cycle.

00:23:44

Eugene Leventhal: Um but even right the question of hiring and you know who does this for the councils in the future that itself can potentially be explored through a council model uh as well, right? We can have like a people ops council or a hiring council or something along those lines. So there's all different kinds of ways we can explore it and we didn't want to just push what is our view of this especially because this is al uh so nent still in developing. So yeah we're really excited to see how the co-creation cycle goes and what other ideas emerge from there. Uh and yeah, in parallel, we didn't want to delay the community council because we saw that, you know, we were getting feedback that it's like, hey, we already had three proposals right away for local nodes and there's three more coming up just after that. It seems like a volume uh and a topic that is just getting I guess more burdensome for folks to stay on top of. And so getting this kind of council in place to not drop the ball on it and have dedicated effort to it seems like the the way to go from our perspective.

00:24:47

Eugene Leventhal: See, I'll pause for a minute and see if anyone has anything about the community council they want to mention.

Connor McCormick: I think you did a nice job responding to our um questions in the in the forum in the negation game. Thank you so much.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah. one is the man. Uh, Ivy, did you want to jump in with your question.

Ivey SEED Gov: No, I was about to say the feedback that Juan provided in the forum is is pretty comprehensive and full. Um, what I was kind of thinking Juan, for example, for the local nodes and the optional section of the grants like how are how are you planning to to manage that from the council? It's like you guys are planning to roll out a framework, you know, for grants, events, um, flex and such. Um or how that integrates, you know, within the responsibilities of the of the council as well.

Juan Molina: Yeah, definitely. Yeah, definitely part of the responsibilities of the council. The specific structure of it, um, I proposed it initially as a pilot to, you know, just very make it as simple as possible and learn from it.

00:26:16

Juan Molina: Um that was my initial idea but I think it would be best if we do set up a proper structure for it in the sense of okay what's within scope actually not just you know call it events meetups and hackathons uh but really dissect what's in scope cuz even then like not every hackathon's in scope I would assume or not any meetup every meetup is in scope so just setting out a proper scope for what that program could look like um and the application process as well. Uh that's a whole different conversation, right? Like we could use platforms uh or tooling to for the applications or we could just use the forum. So what will be the proper process for that uh grants pilot? Um, so I can definitely draft my opinions on how or a proposal initial proposal of how that would look like, but I also see wouldn't hurt if that's established by the council once the council's already up and running and the council determines, oh, this is, you know, what we have bandwidth for or how we think would be best.

00:27:26

Juan Molina: So either way, I think it's okay. Uh, the the main idea is this is a pilot. uh we hope that after six months that uh actually becomes a much bigger initiative. Uh thinking of domain allocation and and in in arbitum for example is a huge initiative. So this is just a pilot to begin with. Um, yeah.

Ivey SEED Gov: Yeah. No, that's very just asking since um the proposal had the optional disclaimer. So, I wasn't sure if it was, you know, optional for the council to deploy that or optional for the proposal itself. So, yeah.

Juan Molina: It's optional for the proposal. I wanted to like throw in something else, not just local nodes. Uh, cuz we actually do need it. Um, I for they I also put it as optional because of the budget. Uh so budget was also one you know common feedback that was brought up was why is the community council a larger budget than the EGC and the main reasoning behind my reply to that is because we already have set initiatives with set budgets uh being proposed whereas the EGC's open-ended and needs to come up with those initiatives.

00:28:35

Juan Molina: So, like if I'm already planning and I'm already telling you that this initiative

requires this budget, um I don't know, I could have put it higher or lower, but for whatever reason, I thought I I I already knew that that might be brought up. So, if anything, I would like to play around with that pilot program and the amount for that.

Ivey SEED Gov: Trade tanks.

Juan Molina: Yeah. Coffee crusher. Go on.

coffee-crusher: All right. Hey, thanks Juan. Um, I'm just looking at the community council budget spreadsheet that you provided. Thank you so much for that. Um, I had sort of two questions. One is can you sort of give a little bit more details exactly what the 24,000 USD is for talent protocol. And then the second question I have is about the I think it's the grants pilot and it talks about like uh 30,000 you know for events 20,000 for meetups you know so forth is that for like divided between like

Juan Molina: Sure.

coffee-crusher: how many like I think you said six local nodes sort of like going to be divided up evenly Door.

00:29:49

Juan Molina: So the first question um so talent protocol the way I see it is we have all these communities within or these local nodes operating to put scroll in touch with builders and founders but there's no real place for us to see that uh holistic dashboard of progress or if I'm a builder and I'm part of the scroll ecosystem where do I actually physically see that um it's very tough. So I think talent protocol basically serves two purposes is like becoming this hub for us to identify our builders their profile what they're doing their performance what are they more active doing etc. Uh so it's that's what I'm uh the first intention and then the second part is um put it here trying to find um yeah so first one being the hub. So just like this place where we gather all these builders and they can find each other. Uh and then the the the the other thing is we can build on top of that. So incentive programs in the future all measured based on uh merit for these builders not just um you know random you know criteria.

00:31:12

Juan Molina: Um so that's my thought process behind working with the talent protocol team. I also think uh they have uh it's something that I would like scroll to explore more of is us engaging with other projects out there. So for example the likes of POP. I'm

meeting with the pop-up team tomorrow seeing what sort of collaboration like let's engage more with uh different projects out there uh and protocols uh and if local notes right now is focused in builders and finding builders a dashboard to measure that progress and to analyze that progress etc. Sounds pretty neat. Um yeah, so that's my thought process behind hot protocol. And then uh for the grants, think about there's going to be a lot of places in a lot of communities that are not ready for a local node or that uh you know from the lab side isn't necessarily a priority. But why would I not give a,000 bucks to a Bolivia community who's doing an amazing job? We've had amazing experience with them. But just because there's a constraint in terms of priority or budget, there's no place for us to like continue collaborating or supporting this community.

00:32:23

Juan Molina: So I feel like this pilot program is more aims towards those communities out there that uh either the local nodes initiative is not fit for them or from the lab side uh isn't a priority for them for them to continue uh in touch with us and and and support. It's probably going to be aimed towards like lowbudget activations. We're probably not going to use up 30K in one single hackathon. Um, so yeah, that's that's more what I'm thinking towards. And for for Local Nodes, Local Nodes have their own budget allocation. So I don't I don't see like if there's an event in Mexico, we're probably going to do it with the Locode uh plan out from the Loconode uh allocation to support any activities or events in Mexico. This one's more for those regions that we really don't have any solid initiatives happening, but we still want to continue supporting.

coffee-crusher: Uh thank you. I mean does that mean that um if I can do a follow-up question does that mean that say for example this pool of money for um low touch opportunistic you know events like that um that if it's not spent within the six months it goes back to the treasury or

00:33:39

Juan Molina: Yes, all the budget in general. So I think yeah, all budget within the community council um is aimed towards being spent wisely, efficiently. Um but yeah, we do expect that if it doesn't um all get spent for whatever remains to go back to the Treasury or for the future community council proposals.

Eugene Leventhal: And really quickly, that's generally a rule of thumb for all of these. You know, whenever the DAO is effectively giving permission to a smaller group of actors to go move quickly on a certain topic via the councils or working groups, it's always assumed that uh or not assumed, it is always explicitly stated that there will be uh any unused funds go back to Dowo Treasury uh and the Dow via vetos uh will be able to also potentially claw back and start a process to uh block actions from any council and avoid spend if they see it as problematic. in any way. Cool. So, yeah, as folks have any other feedback or anything, please do uh bring it up either on the forum or DM anyone on the governance and community side of things between Juan, Gabby uh and Jamila and myself.

00:35:07

Eugene Leventhal: Uh yeah, would be uh great to hear from folks if you have any questions. Otherwise, you know, this one is definitely endorsed from the foundation side. We see it's important and we appreciate the shape it's coming together in. Uh so yeah, as long as there will be enough endorsements from delegates, we we hope to see this one live for the August 1 voting cycle. I'll pause for a moment just in case there's any any other else on that.

Connor McCormick: one you may have answered this already and perhaps I'm just uh wasn't listening sufficiently but um you know there was a idea from Don Pepe I think that perhaps this could be merged with other existing councils like the growth

Eugene Leventhal: Yep.

Connor McCormick: council um

Eugene Leventhal: Yes,

Connor McCormick: and

Eugene Leventhal: that was where Juan had started. Uh that and like in his rep. Sorry to cut you. I'll finish the thought.

Connor McCormick: please go ahead

Eugene Leventhal: I was going to say just from Juan's side. So yeah, he did mention from his perspective why I mean fundamentally right if we make a ven diagram of the growth council and the community council they are predominantly doing just very different things.

00:36:18

Eugene Leventhal: The growth council is meant to uh put in place the first focus growth effort for the DAO. Uh and the community council is mostly focused on you know setting up local nodes working closely with them. uh and via sort of where the one sliver of potential overlap is is where this council will actually get to assign certain capital allocations to folks, you know, like with Juan and just giving the Bolivia community example. So, um, those types of and I guess I would even argue that the real overlap is less so on community council decides to give a small, you know, meetup grant in Bolivia or wherever in the world, uh, but more so of, oh, hey, from our local node in Brazil, there's been this amazing builder who looks super relevant and we, you know, want to bring and kind of streamline into the overall growth part of of Scroll and can we issue a small grant to them? Um

Connor McCormick: Darn it.

Eugene Leventhal: so yeah so the logic of like that grant issuance a it's going to be smaller in size right so it's not like the community council will be shipping like six figure grants or anything like that the goal is more that if that thing if that process is more meant to capture you know top offunnel type activity um

00:37:33

Connor McCormick: Uh-huh.

Eugene Leventhal: it makes sense for those who are building that funnel to be the one making that call as opposed

Connor McCormick: I

Eugene Leventhal: to

Connor McCormick: see.

Eugene Leventhal: saying like a totally other grant program just to start the process if they need more funding beyond an initial grant then yes they will be pointed to other structures which uh will emerge from the EGC over time but that's kind of the logic of separating them is that we the goal of councils is not just to like have the one council to rule them all is that like they should have different lanes of responsibility and even in this co-creation cycle uh you know the ecosystem growth council is approved the the community council's already separately being in discussion we can absolutely absolutely review uh requirements, boundary points, etc. as part of the co-creation cycle. Uh so yeah, there will be multiple opportunities between direct feedback and the co-creation cycle to help shape and clarify where the boundaries of one are and the uh

where the boundaries are between them. Um but yeah, let me know if there was a different concern on your mind that you wanted to bring up.

00:38:38

Connor McCormick: So in other words, um meeting with these various actors And uh there's occasionally moments where he could redirect them to do some scroll related work and they would just need a fairly small nudge. And this kind of gives him and that council the agency to do so.

Eugene Leventhal: correct. Yeah. And it will be a multi-person council including folks not from the foundation. So right this isn't us just saying that like hey Dow give foundation money for

Connor McCormick: Right.

Eugene Leventhal: foundation

Connor McCormick: Right.

Eugene Leventhal: to do what foundation want. Uh it's more of like hey this is just how we see as the way to maximize alignment initially but to actually take steps towards like functional decentralization where we can get the right people with the right talents making the right decisions kind of thing

Connor McCormick: That makes sense. Okay. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: of course. Um and yeah uh yeahto I just answered your question in chat but in case anyone else was thinking it sorry if I forgot to say it.

00:39:42

Eugene Leventhal: delegate training review uh or selection process for those in the program has not been finalized yet. The final reviews are currently in process. So I believe Friday is the target date. Let's just say by Monday that should be announced just to to give a little buffer there. Um cool. So I know we have 10ish minutes left. Uh the other quick thing on the agenda was just that uh Jamila and I did a thing. We launched a podcast. Yay. the world doesn't have enough of those. Um, but yeah, in in all seriousness, this is a thing we've been thinking about and discussing for a while now. And I mean, yeah, we're, you know, you're not really doing stuff online until you have your own podcast. Um, so yeah, Jamil and I will be having all kinds of different discussions here with folks uh building very specific visions of the future of governance. Uh, the first

episode dropping tomorrow will be with Eric Alston who's a professor at CU Boulder.

00:40:41

Eugene Leventhal: uh and who's uh just yeah wonderful and brilliant. So um we thought he was a great person to start the season with and we're gonna have a number of academics to start the series with. Um amazing. Yeah, I appreciate the support, Alex. Uh and yeah, please do follow, share, etc. Uh for all of the fun podcast algorithms, the performance of the early episodes and whatnot is very important. Not that we're really shooting for mass audience here, but we just want to make sure that all of the governance uh the governor communities that we are aware of at least are are sharing this and whatnot. So, I'm sure uh a number of you will see me post about this in various shared telegram communities. So, apologies in advance if uh if it's a large volume. Um but yeah, we're super excited about it. Uh the goal of us doing this is to actually help inform some of the longer term road mapping that we're currently going through and and trying to plan out uh what we are working towards.

00:41:39

Eugene Leventhal: Uh and of course if there are any specific guests or individuals that you think are working on relevant stuff to highlight uh please let us know. Um yeah, I know we had another prep call with someone today who specifically wants to talk about how the state uh states and nation states are going to be the ones defining the realities of Dows. Uh which felt like quite a spicy take and is going to be something we're going to explore with them. Um but yeah, that was it there. um want to open it up for folks who have any other either proposals that have been added to the forum but haven't gotten that much attention or just any other elements that have not been touched on yet? Want to make sure we have uh time and space for that. So yeah, anyone from the community have anything they want to speak about with the rest of us? Yes, Erin, please.

Eren Targ: Yeah. Hi everyone. Uh this is Arin from Diplomats. Uh yeah. So I just wanted to uh I mean cross check.

00:42:46

Eren Targ: I don't know if I missed anything that uh last week that we had uh on the mirror board with about the AI discussion and everything. Uh uh I did cross check the mirror board and yeah we are interested to you know uh take things for like have some couple of ideas and everything. So uh needed some direction regarding that like how do we go about and what what are the next steps formula to go go forward.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah. So, I guess it really depends on what you're thinking. Uh, at this stage, we're still kind of working through and figuring out how to to best action from there. uh especially with the co-creation cycle coming up and the delegate training, we kind of had a few things that we need to focus on to make sure that they are doing well for now. Um we will likely have uh an RFP for AI tooling at some point in the future. Um probably sometime in August. I I think we'll be realistic just with other uh things happening this month.

00:43:49

Eugene Leventhal: Um short of that, just ping Jamil or I if you have specific things you want to talk about. We we don't have a clear, you know, by this date we must have whatever tool in place. Uh we did actually want to I realized we we forgot to include it, but um we actually had someone from the community develop a telegram bot uh for notifications that was just shared with us and I forgot to ping them that uh our security lead reviewed. Anyway, um like we do have some things naturally emerging from the community. So, uh we want to make sure to highlight those as we can. If folks are building tools, I know I've had a number of service providers reach out to us about like possibly utilizing them. We have not actioned anything in that direction. So, if the question was around like pitching a specific tool, that will be a public RFP sometime in August most likely. If it's more about you just have ideas and want to talk it through, ping Jama.

00:44:48

Eren Targ: Okay. Uh great. Uh thank you Eugene. Uh and uh second thing is uh yeah so we are up uh uploading our rational on the negation game. Uh which is uh pretty great. So uh yeah I just wanted to uh think that uh I mean um we had missed out a couple of

uh ones before uh

Eugene Leventhal: Mhm.

Eren Targ: on the proposals that have already passed. So uh do you think we should like I mean still update it with even the older proposals or going forward we can uh update like is it fine both ways?

Eugene Leventhal: I mean, there's definitely nothing I'll let Connor jump in in a sec. I nothing stopping you from jumping in on the past ones. I think going forward is most important uh to make sure that you know the conversations that are actively happening are the ones that get that uh insights. But yeah, Connor, what do you think

Connor McCormick: I was going to say the same thing. What matters is the ones going forward.

00:45:46

Connor McCormick: Um and if you if you missed any and you're seeing any um you know remaining prompts that are saying, "Hey, we're missing your your rationale for this proposal and the proposal has already passed." um just feel free to ping um uh me or someone on the team and we'll try and uh we we'll take away that prompt so that it's no longer bothering you.

Eren Targ: Okay. All right. Thank you.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, of course. Thanks for the question. Uh, Ivy

Ivey SEED Gov: No, just wanted to say that during ATC we had the chance to do a scroll delegate meetup which was super fun. So thanks everyone who joined organized whatever. Thank you OG for sponsoring our coffees as well and just saying that it was amazing and and thank you all. So hope to see you in Argentina or whatever. But yeah, just wanted to say something and share that.

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, for sure. Thanks so much for for taking the initiative and running that, Ivy.

00:46:51

Eugene Leventhal: Uh, I guess on that as a quick comment, at Devcon, we will plan something formal. Uh, but if folks are going to conferences where they feel like there are other delegates showing up, you know, we're not going to host like big events just for a handful of delegates. But if you're going somewhere and you know like Ivy just pinged

me of like hey I want to organize a thing you know uh I think I was even the one to offer of just like you know do you want us to cover you know food drink etc. So if it's something small and cheap and a bunch of you are getting together feel free to check in. I think we'll just keep it to like the main conferences. Um but yeah again don't be shy with asking us questions and we won't be shy letting you know whether or not it's a fit. Um but yeah, anyone have anything else they would like to bring up? Cool. Well, we know the rest of the month is going to be quite busy and active. Uh I know Connor and the Negotiation Game crew are hosting proposal bonanzas every uh other week, which I think will be again next week, right Connor?

Connor McCormick: Yep, that's correct. Um, and we could do them more frequently if there's an appetite or if there's a lot of proposals. So, um we can do them on demand

Eugene Leventhal: Cool.

Connor McCormick: as needed or um for now it's just that every two weeks

Eugene Leventhal: Yeah, really appreciate you all getting that started. Uh so yeah, we're really excited. We know this is going to be a very busy month uh all around for for governance at Scroll Dow. So we just really appreciate folks making the time and yeah, always feel free to reach out to Jamila or I if you have any questions or want to suggest uh bangers for us to play at the start of next calls.

Humberto Besso-Oberto Huerta: very much.

Transcription ended after 00:49:17

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.