- Introduction & BRD for Minting Handles for Datasets
- What assistance can the Dataverse Community provide to support minting new handles in Dataverse 4.x?
- Contribute code (DANS)?
- What can the Dataverse Project team at Harvard help with?
- Any open questions about the code?
- Timeframe for pull request review and acceptance
- Moving the responsibility to support the different persistent identifier providers out of the commands
- Simultaneously supporting multiple persistent identifier minting services within a Dataverse installation (Handles and DOIs)
- Dataverse Community Meeting July 11-12 at Harvard Medical School
- Eugene Barsky, UBC
- Ben Companjen, DANS
- Joke Pol, DANS
- Paul Lesack, UBC
- Eleni Castro, Harvard
- Gustavo Durand, Harvard
- Len Wisniewski, Harvard
- Merce Crosas, Harvard
- Kevin Condon, Harvard
- Lucien van Wouw, IISH
- Steve Kraffmiller, Harvard
- Philip Durbin, Harvard
- Ryan Steans, Texas Digital Library
- Nick Lauland, Texas Digital Library
- Jesus Herrera, CGIAR
- (Ben) DANS is in theory prepared to contribute code.
- (Ben) It would be a helpful to have a generic API for persistent identifiers
- (Merce) Can Ben create a document of requirements?
- (Steve) It would take a bit of effort but we could abstract the persistent identifier service to make it more generic.
- (Leonid) Should we consider adding quickly Handle support (Gustavo: a few weeks) and deferring until the future making things more generic.
- UBC is not in a hurry. We need handle support in order to upgrade to 4.X. We issue DOIs on our discovery end and it uses Dataverse handles to resolve to datasets. We also have more than 30K data files to migrate...
- Gustavo prefers getting Handle support in quickly to help installations upgrade.
- Ben thinks it may be faster to create an API. "Refactor while you write code"
- Kevin asks, "How long are people willing to wait?"
- (Eugene) 6-8 months is good for UBC
- (Ben) Soon. 2-3 months? Not later than summer 2016 for DANS.
- (Jesus) As soon as possible, by the end of summer 2016.
- Maybe skype next time? Or google Hangouts?
- (Gustavo and Steve) Create working group to define API for persistent identifiers, a Java interface.
- Deliverable: Will share a working document with the google users group and the individuals on this call within the next two weeks. (early June)