Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
July 14, 2014 at 7 pm – Beech Street
- Call to Order: Anna called the meeting to order at 7:42 pm.
- Roll Call: Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chris Babbs, Treasurer; Shamai Buckel, Member; Julie Bell, Member; Nate Seeley, Member; Alexia Hudson, CHD; Ken Geiger, BM
Absent: Julie Suckla, Josh Warinner
Community Members: None present.
- Vision – The Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - The Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Shamai
Next Montessori Moment: Alexia
- Approval of June 9, 2014 Minutes: Shamai moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of agenda: Chris moved to approve the agenda with the following changes: remove items VIII.a.ii and VIII.a.iii from the agenda. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: No discussion.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – June 9, 2014”
- Action Item – Tamia will update Action Items – June 9, 2014
- BOD Vice President – Anna
- Updated Committee Membership
- Action Item – Tamia will update the “Committees and Officers” list and email it out.
- Nominations for Executive Roles
- Acting Officer (not voted in): Nate Seeley, Treasurer.
- Executive Director – Josh
- BM July Salary approval (agreement letter dated July 9, 2014)
- Chris motioned to approve the Updated Agreement Letter, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Business Manager – Ken
- Action Item – Ken will follow up on additional quotes for insurance.
- Action Item – Anna will send the contract with CH to Ken who will then send it on to Bart Skidmore.
- Action Item – Ken will email out a list of needs regarding vendor identification; all those who can assist with the list email Ken.
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Chris
- Approval of salary schedule
- Approval of budget B – submitted by Ken
- Chart of accounts – Bart Skidmore will put that together
- Approval to hire accountant – with Les Rogers to do the 2013/2014 taxes
- Julie B. moved to approve items VIII.d.i – iv. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval for insurance carrier
- Shamai moved to approve the purchase of the lowest insurance quote E/M S receives. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval for Financial Controls Policy – this does not need specific approval.
- Interface with Re-1 and review their policy.
- Ask Bart Skidmore for Financial Controls Policy he has reviewed/seen.
- Josh mentioned that Re-1 has already reviewed our procedure and approves of it.
- Approval to open accounts with DSB and designated signors for account.
- Chris moved the approval of opening a second, public checking account with Dolores State Bank with the officers as signers. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Action Item – Ken will email the BOD the documents needed in order to open the checking account.
- Interim loan for start-up
- The board would like to see a budget before we move forward with an Interim loan.
- Action Item – Ken will find out the timeline for receiving a line of credit with Dolores State Bank.
- Action Item – Ken will get a list of payroll expenses and time frames from the budget and send them to Josh.
- Additional Committee Reports
- Enrollment and Policy Committee – Tamia
- Abbreviations that we all need to be aware of and use properly:
- Children’s Kiva Montessori School (Kiva)
- Children’s House (CH)
- Elementary/Middle School (E/M S)
- BOD approval for Student/Parent Handbook
- Action Item: Alexia will edit the “Student with Special Needs” portion of the handbook (and create a hyperlink to the Districts website) and email it to Josh and then onto Tamia.
- Action Item: Tamia will continue to make formatting changes to the handbook and take out the “Additional Information about Parent Involvement at School”.
- Tamia moved to approve the Student/Parent Handbook with the revision to the “Student with Special Needs” portion made by Alexia and the elimination of the “Additional Information about Parent Involvement at School” portion. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- New Business
- Anna mentioned that the Cultural Center is not going to do any after school programming.
- Shamai will be resigning from the E/M S BOD as she will be taking the position of Health and Wellness Director.
- Action Item – Shamai will submit her letter of resignation.
- Chris will be resigning from the position of Treasure, but will remain a director of the BOD.
- Josh has been in contact with a potential applicant for the Spanish teaching position and will continue to work with the curriculum schedule to try and accommodate the applicant’s schedule.
- Action Item – Tamia will send the list of recommended, regularly scheduled meetings to Alexia and Josh.
- Action Item – Alexia and Josh will set times for each of the meetings and email them to the Admin and CH and E/M S BODs.
- Action Item – Alexia will train Tamia on how to upload minutes to the CH website.
- Calendaring – Anna
- Upcoming events
- July 21st – Registration meeting from 6 to 8pm at Beech St.
- August 14th – Open House
- August 18th – First Day of School
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, July 28, 2014 at 6:30 pm
- Monday, August 11, 2014 at 7 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – Anna
- Executive Session – Topics: Re-1 Communications, Personnel Matter (recorded)
- Julie B. moved to enter into Executive Session at 9:05 pm.
- Tamia moved to exit out of Executive Session at 9:29 pm.
- Adjournment: Julie B. moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:30 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary