

Open Source Committee (Intersect) - 2025/04/17 07:57

CDT - Transcript

Attendees

Adam Dean, Alex Seregin, Bernard Sibanda, Georg Link, Jonathan Kelly, Jordan Hill, Pedro Lucas, read.ai meeting notes, Sandip Pandey, Terence McCutcheon

Transcript

Pedro Lucas: Hey

Terence McCutcheon: Hey everybody.

Alex Seregin: Good time of day.

Jonathan Kelly: Hello. We do indeed.

Pedro Lucas: We continue to exist,...

Pedro Lucas: We're jumping right in.

Jonathan Kelly: But not to the level of requirement. as stipulated, I haven't had a time to review all of the list of proposals. We have until the actual meeting yet the scheduled one about core review. or is that too long a deadline? Does it need to be done sooner?

Pedro Lucas: Right. Thanks.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. honestly, some of it should have already been done. because No,...

Jonathan Kelly: Apologies. The powers.

Terence McCutcheon:

Terence McCutcheon: no, no. You're good. I'm going to take some flak on this one, but there are, I think, six or eight that need to be reviewed by 11 my time, which is 3 hours from now...

Jonathan Kelly: C can any of those be done on this call or...

Terence McCutcheon: because today we can definitely try to prioritize.

Jonathan Kelly: are they too lengthy to be able to do

Pedro Lucas: Maybe I was going to say maybe let's go over the agenda and...

Terence McCutcheon: I'm sorry. Go ahead, Luke.

Pedro Lucas: try to get the ones that we can done and otherwise maybe we can stay in a bit more. but hi Cindy, welcome. But I don't think we could take over the whole thing. I'm volunteering to stay one hour later and work on those.

Jonathan Kelly: I'll stay longer...

Pedro Lucas: Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: if needed.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, but let's just dive in and circle through things. but still we shouldn't start right text. We still are missing.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. Yes.

Terence McCutcheon: We'll give it another few minutes here. and I will pull up the information I'm trying to share as we are working that.

Pedro Lucas: ...

Terence McCutcheon: So, I'm just getting it into ClickUp here.

Pedro Lucas: you're going to share your screen or I have everything up here as well if you want.

Terence McCutcheon: So, if you want to pull up ClickUp, you can.

Pedro Lucas: I had just a screenshot that we worked on to prepare the agenda.

Pedro Lucas: Is that going to be okay or...

Terence McCutcheon: The only reason I'm putting it into ClickUp is to continue to follow the process that we established. So, you're in charge.

Pedro Lucas: Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: You tell me.

Pedro Lucas: Ju just to keep it floating around on my screen. Maybe it's a bit more readable to have this simple version.

Terence McCutcheon: Okay. Like I said,...

Pedro Lucas: But is that okay? is this complete still?

Terence McCutcheon: you're in control here.

Pedro Lucas: Okay. that.

Terence McCutcheon: So, no trouble at all. Not going to get a fight from me.

Pedro Lucas: So, yeah. let me know when we have quorum though so we can formally start. so just to respond to what we were just talking about with Johnny in terms of priorities for today, we wanted to go

over a few things including this budget proposal reviews just to orient everyone and to help someone that has joined.

Pedro Lucas: Meanwhile, we are going to try to push what we can in here. but we wanted to go over other topics as well.

Pedro Lucas: Text, do you think we should also stand by for Christian or...

Terence McCutcheon: No.

Terence McCutcheon: So yeah,...

Pedro Lucas: Okay, that's okay.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm not going to release more than I should, but yeah,...

Pedro Lucas: Busy days. That's fine.

Terence McCutcheon: he's in a direct care function and...

Terence McCutcheon: looks like things are still projected for this weekend, but no, he's out of office today. So,

Pedro Lucas: Okay, that's good news.

Pedro Lucas: So, great stuff. Welcome, we're jumping right in because we have a packed schedule. So, I'm just going to sort of fly over a number of things. Cheers.

Pedro Lucas: so yeah so the main things that we have in terms of old business or working in hand that we have are these ones. just to orient you guys I've opened up some windows here. So let me just find the one relating to the budget. So there's this actually if you want to orient yourself synchronously I dropped all this on our internal channel. So you have all the links here gathered and it's exactly from these that I opened some windows right now.

Pedro Lucas: So sorry, there's this document that text shared and it's really just the overall framing of things and what's going to happen when and somewhere in here is the fact that we need to provide some reviews of things and so I think it's referring to this one jumping right into actual work. So we have the list of proposals that were submitted that somewhat align with the open-source committee and you can see there they requested our committee or this they were sort of aligned towards us. guys I'm not really checking the chat so if you want to jump in please be my guest.

00:05:00

Pedro Lucas: and then from these items we should produce one quick report review for each proposal. So text I'm not sure when you said some of these are due in 3 hours. can you paint which or

Terence McCutcheon: So, I already have and I just realized I missed a couple So, let me go to not that everything from here. so,...

Pedro Lucas: Mhm.

Terence McCutcheon: just this is rather unfortunate based on our weekly, but everything that is highlighted in orange is up for discussion in the two works sessions that are today. And when I say up for discussion, I mean it's up for presentation. so an initial review is helpful. and a follow-up review based on anybody who can hear that information. I mean, that gives you all more to decide. I can make my own thoughts about it, but I can't make decisions for the committee. So, if you're not able to attend,...

Pedro Lucas: Mhm. Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: I highly suggest watching I did throw some names on there if that would help, but obviously there's a ton of proposals and a ton of things. We are at Quorum, by the we're just at five. but So, today it's actually, sorry, marketing and innovation has already occurred, so I could actually take those ones out per se. but everything that is research, governance, support, or no category is what's in the calls today. Let me fix that real quick.

Jonathan Kelly: I see. This wasn't where I misunderstood. I thought we were only reviewing core.

Jonathan Kelly: So my apologies. That's why I thought I had more time because I thought we were only going to be focusing on the core workshop. yeah, omission by mistake on my

Pedro Lucas: So that's Go on.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, if you can see here, I've got Lucas. I've got this tag...

Pedro Lucas: Go on.

Terence McCutcheon: where open source was explicitly called out in that proposal. So,

Pedro Lucas: So, that's the one item that we have that we're going to try to circle back to after we look at the whole a agenda. just in terms of the developer advocate program, I'm just going to say there's also a section there on our channel. There's some links and if it's not a priority, let's completely skip it for today. but there's some people in the committee have already dropped feedback here. I am lacking here and yeah

Pedro Lucas: Thanks.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I'll just hop in on this one here.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm going to step up to my failed commitment. I did not get a meeting up this week. if anything we can call it you call it a failure. If you want to call that u me trying to help everyone out, then I'll try to help everyone out. I've got my own list of meetings to attend to. and yes, this is important, but we have quite a bit through Q2 to work on. so we can pick up those async meetings which were agreed to by a majority of the committee in the session last week. So, I apologize that there's not one this week, but I will pick that back up. And hopefully that's ...

Terence McCutcheon: feasible for you all being that I'll try to schedule those on the off weeks from the committee meetings. That way you guys still have time to plan around for your async work and whatnot. But thanks

Pedro Lucas: ...

Pedro Lucas: while you were finishing that point, I've already started flashing here a bit about the next point, which is the committee elections. And for this one, I've also dropped on Discord the link to all the spaces that are going to happen. and keep a look out. if you haven't still we can probe who have a look. I've also invited everyone that is running for OSC to drop things in the public channel that we have and we have some of them doing that proof of community here. So it's nice to see that.

Pedro Lucas: And by the way, if anyone of the applicants is watching us synchronously, come by our calls whenever you can.

Pedro Lucas: We'll be happy to have a word except for our typical agenda. So, yeah, get in touch overall and show up on this channel if you can. the public one.

00:10:00

Terence McCutcheon: if you don't mind on Discord there.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm sorry. I was just going to have you scroll back to the top if possible on the left side on the channels town square. So, we're going to go down just a little bit. Town square and then Okay, it's right there. It should say intersect elections campaigns. Yeah. So,...

Pedro Lucas: Okay. Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: here's another channel to check out as various members may be coming to post their introductions here. This is for all of the intersect committee. Apologize that that's not specific, but there's another campaign channel just so you're not missing anywhere where members may go to post. So,

Pedro Lucas: I have been keeping a look on this one and for example, this is Elaine. we've met her on the open calls on X and so I've forwarded this to our channel and vice versa. So yeah, it's a good thing to point out and I will try to circle between both of them.

Pedro Lucas: Alex. the thing is these are being shared between members of the committee to give feedback on it.

Alex Seregin: Thank you. Maybe you can share the link to the slides for the developer advocate program so we could review them. Fair enough.

Pedro Lucas: But it's good that you are here and exactly like I've been asking to keep in touch with what's happening in committee overall for today.

Terence McCutcheon: There we go.

Pedro Lucas: I'm not sure if I said we're gathering feedback from the committee seats not necessarily from the advocates themselves...

Pedro Lucas: but this is going to go back to you guys.

Alex Seregin: Fair enough.

Pedro Lucas: Today we're going to look into mainly the strategy and...

Alex Seregin: So, you don't need me today. I can drop off.

Pedro Lucas: the budget reviews. So if you want to sit in it would be good and you can also jump in and give you share your views on anything on those points. okay.

Alex Seregin: Thank you.

Pedro Lucas: So yeah going to put these to the side for today for the moment. This one to that side. And so we get to this point which is the open source strategy. Tex shared this on our internal chat. but I'm just going to jump to the documents. So, text, do you want to jump in and contextualize us a bit, but yeah, long story short, we have the document here to orient us and we have this. I think we've spoken about this on previous calls.

Pedro Lucas: Thanks.

Terence McCutcheon: Yes. ...

Terence McCutcheon: so I was asked specifically to get the strategy, working here. if there's an ability for us to get an explicit commitment asynchronously. I'm happy to move on to budget proposal review if that's more appealing to the group. U, but this was asked to be prioritized. So ideally with time in the meeting we would spend about another 25 minutes on this which is a lot of time. So if we can at least spend 15 minutes on this right now I think that would be great.

Terence McCutcheon: And then we can shift over and try to at least get a glance at those proposals.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, I'd suggest maybe reducing that to five,...

Pedro Lucas: seven minutes on this just to orient people, make sure the extinct work is pipelined and then jump on to the other ones. thumbs up. Okay, so yeah, this is the strategy that's been published. Thank you so much, guys. and we are fairly familiar with it and...

Pedro Lucas: the goal is that we start rewarding it. So I'm guessing can you tell us text where we got this title and this document for or from

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. ...

Terence McCutcheon: absolutely. again, revisiting some of this we may have gone over when some of you joined the committee, others of you that have been around for a while have seen this. This was originally ratified, if you will, back in April of last year. the main thing that is important is going to be the graphic that is on this page. so this graphic here the idea is for this to stay and still be a guiding light for us. Sandeep as he's kicking in here would be to resource on that initial portion of the other document. there's a survey that was ran ahead of time to help us develop this strategy.

00:15:00

Terence McCutcheon: And those notes are still in there for anything that was not previously utilizing the graphic here, the notes that Sandeep can give us more information on. And then also below the survey notes,...

Terence McCutcheon: in the other document there, Lucas, is going to be the feedback from the developer advocate survey. I apologize...

Pedro Lucas: Just one question before you jump to sand deepep.

Terence McCutcheon: if it's not polished. It got literally all the direct survey results in a more readable format as opposed to you having to pull up the published version. but the idea is to take the survey results and recommendations for improvement and to implement those into the strategy alongside again still the survey feedback that Sandeep can tell us about next.

Pedro Lucas: So these are just loose or input for us and this is the document that we're building on but maybe we need a Google doc that has this where we can author changes to it. Right. Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: We have that.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm pretty sure I included that in that same message.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, thank you Sandep.

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, this feedback document this was created based on the feedback that we got from several interviews from the community members Christian and I were in that interview and from the feedback that we prepared this document as a reference point from there certain points were taken in to build the strategy at that time. So what I would suggest is maybe we can schedule new interviews with the community members.

Terence McCutcheon: Oops.

Sandip Pandey: There could be a selection process for that as well and have community feedback at this point in time now that we have decentralized governance in place and people's opinion and thoughts might have changed. So to get the latest feedback I think would be useful in forming the next strategy for the open source. on the context part it was based on the interviews that we did. I can provide the template that we used for the interviews and...

Sandip Pandey: maybe that could be useful in setting the new interviews for this time.

Pedro Lucas: guys. Any thoughts on this?

Pedro Lucas: Just meanwhile I've gotten on screen the draft version that text did share. I'm sorry we're missing that link. So we did have the draft where we can collaborate and there's the feedback and regarding what Sandeep just said shared. Is everyone aligned? Adam

Adam Dean: Yeah, I guess I'm missing the real reason why we need to revise again the strategy that was already kind of adopted last year. what is the impetus for needing to write or modify the document really? where is this coming from?

Sandip Pandey: One of the thing here is at the end of this strategy there are different goals with the metrics and...

Terence McCutcheon: in this case.

Terence McCutcheon: Sorry. Go ahead.

Sandip Pandey: action points are those going to be still relevant most updated with the new goals new metrics I think that would be the important part of

Adam Dean: I mean to be blunt, I've been on this committee since the beginning of 2024, and we've never actually done anything action-wise to actually take steps to implement the strategy or oversee the open source development of Cardano in any way. So, I feel like we haven't even really begun to implement the strategy. Therefore, revisiting and now rewriting the strategy is just kind of needless bureaucracy to make somebody feel good about themselves. and I don't know who that is, but it seems like a waste of time when we have a perfectly good document that still needs to be executed upon.

Sandip Pandey: Maybe we can go through the document at least towards the end. is the goals are they still relevant for what we have achieved with picket.

Pedro Lucas: Sandy, do you mean that the current strategy document?

Sandip Pandey: The one that is published on the intersect docs one moment.

Pedro Lucas: Yeah, it's the same one. So, this one is the editable version on Google Doc format. which section do you want me to scroll to? You mentioned goals. Is that it? calls as on the summary one those actions got it.

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, it's on the intersector page. Thanks.

00:20:00

Adam Dean: goals and actions. It's near the very end.

Jonathan Kelly: You're not going to get the workflow diagram in this editable thing.

Pedro Lucas: Thank maybe I can pull it through somehow.

Jonathan Kelly: The go to the publish page.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, I'm on that on the other screen trying to get any thoughts on this? Cindy

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, here we have goals by Q4 2024 and rest of the five goals similar to that with different metrics. So first here we would need to have what we have achieved up to this point in time and what we want to by end of 2025 or at least the timing need to be there to have this goal to be smart.

Jonathan Kelly: Can we live? How

Sandip Pandey: So I think this is something that need to be worked out. Maybe the other sections could still be same.

Adam Dean: Point being that the entirety of Q4 2024 was hijacked by the budget process.

Adam Dean: And so none of these goals were reviewed or kept an eye on through Q3 and Q4 2024. So again, we don't even know what our status is on these goals because the budget process has capitalized all of our time essentially. So,

Jonathan Kelly: But yeah, I was going to say, can we legitimately say that these 2024 goals have been met? The goals were filled. Thank you for that text. That's good at least we're honest. so yeah,...

Jonathan Kelly: so updating the strategy would be sort of dismissing previous goals as not met and new goals being made. Would that not be the case of carrying forward the previous goals into the current time frame because they weren't met previously or what do we just abandon those goals from the S.

Pedro Lucas: if I can jump in.

Pedro Lucas: And again, we just have a couple more minutes to orient people on whether we want to give input or not on this. but there seems to be some input here that SEP gathered or I'm not sure. I would just invite you guys to have a look at this link and suggest any changes to this if you feel that they are necessary. apart from that we can just circulate this flow to other things. Text

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I take the feedback strongly. if there's a concern regarding the strategy overall that it may not need to be updated as much, I would just suggest that we just double check verbiage to make sure that there's nothing inherently wrong. but as far as the goals and actions, I would pose a suggestion that says, can we combine the previous five goals or however many of those were not met, i.e. two of the three of the five, whatever, into one. reestablish that and I would say either Q3 or Q4, give us more time than anything if we absolutely need it. And then we can consider adding in additional goals. There doesn't have to be five.

Terence McCutcheon: that could be as little as three let's say adding in the developer experience and then the paid open source model as being the core function. So obviously we need to do what we didn't do last year. a lot of that's going to fall on me I understand. we also need to focus on developer experience and what our strategy looks like that way. That could even be going into 2026. It does not have to be within 2025. and then of course the paid open source model and future implementation. So, I know some of this is regurgitating the same information, but at least giving us a published format just like we showed the goals last year when you guys were onboarded or shortly after what Intersect or what the open source office is looking at doing in 2025. This is the same thing, but you guys are just self-monitoring, if you will, but you can change what that timeline is. It doesn't have to be constricted within 25.

Terence McCutcheon: So we could say we want a fully functioning paid open source model by 2027.

Pedro Lucas: Anyone any more thoughts on this, Johnny?

Terence McCutcheon: That's budget dependent, but that would be a more appropriate one. So, y'all give me your thoughts. I'm just making suggestions.

Jonathan Kelly: I think one of the most important things to do would be to acknowledge any failures in the past instead of just rewriting strategies and making it look like nothing bad happened. so maybe there's a separate document that should be a review of the goals previously set and a snapshot in time of what they were. and then that would lead into revised goals because things weren't met and carried forward things, to show that there's a reason for updating this document. it's the previous document says goal by Q4 24, for example. So obviously that needs updated.

00:25:00

Jonathan Kelly: But you could still have a copy of that in archive and reference it for any review of failure to achieve.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, guys.

Pedro Lucas: I'm as you can see just jumping around trying to update things so we can move on to other things. I hope we've left it clear that we could work on this asynchronously and to the questions of should we consider them done or not done etc. Maybe we can chat on here on our internal channel or drop document comments on the document but for today I think we've contextualized everyone on this. I've also dropped the link to the input document on the actual new draft and the image with source if you want to open it big and browse around. can we move on for today and to look into proposals? Yeah, thank you so much.

Pedro Lucas: coming back here, where did we have those? So, as we discussed in the beginning of the call, sorry, I can't really see you guys now. I'm just going to bring over my windows on the other screen. There we go. So, there's the ones that we need to prioritize. And, any thoughts? I'm looking at the biggest

Jonathan Kelly: So this is because there's a meeting happening today soon after this meeting and this is focused on research governance and no category so just ad hoc and then they've selected us as the committee to be the overseer of that auditing or...

Jonathan Kelly: whatever right okay let's

Pedro Lucas: The budgets you should have.

Pedro Lucas: Yeah, it's this one, right? I'm not sure. Sorry, never mind. Does it If anyone doesn't have the link for the call happening later today, let us know. But it should be public enough. Adam.

Adam Dean: Since we're being mandated to do work by a vague and diiahous intersect has intersect defined what's going to happen with these funds? Are they going to get added to our budget? Because one of these line items is 50% of our currently proposed budget. how does this work? Do we have to offset expenses from our previously proposed budget? Do these just get added and...

Pedro Lucas: Thanks.

Adam Dean: it makes it look like the committee is now requesting 20 million ADA. What does intersect define for us in our role here?

Terence McCutcheon: So the simplest answer to the question is...

Terence McCutcheon: if we were to endorse the proposal then we would have the opportunity if a revision was desired by the committee to revise our proposal and include a directive to point to those proposals. that's obviously quite a bit more work quite a bit more involved does not have to be the exact step. as far as if it's accepted, right, it gets enough votes and the community wants it, it is considered part of the open source committee budget, but not specifically our committee created proposal. and I recognize that's conflicting words, but essentially we just become part of the oversight committee with Intersect as the administrator for that particular project.

Terence McCutcheon: or proposal rather.

Jonathan Kelly: Another way to put that would be the proposal itself is putting forward its own budget being paid through its own budget and has been authorized by the DREPs but we're just administrating rather than having it as part of our budget. Is that correct?

Terence McCutcheon: Right. Essentially the difference especially because we requested delegate authority is that we are going to directly manage a bucket of funds relative to our paid open source model proposal whereas the funds would be in this case managed directly by intersect via the smart contract and...

Terence McCutcheon: the intersect administration process. but with our proposal.

Jonathan Kelly: So we'd be running two parallel things...

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. Correct.

Jonathan Kelly: then one being our thing and the other being what has been put upon us by the derepp process. What fun?

00:30:00

Georg Link: I'm getting the impression that the open source committee is being co-opted for ulterior purposes here.

Jonathan Kelly: Stated that man.

Pedro Lucas: Guys, I'm just mostly Jump in if you have thoughts. but are we questioning if we should be doing this today on this call? Are we doing this at all or...

Jonathan Kelly: I question being rushed to give very last minute and...

Pedro Lucas: is that

Jonathan Kelly: maybe even if we had a week, it may not have been enough time to fully address any concerns, raise questions, ask for revisions to proposals there's a very chaotic process going on at the moment that doesn't seem to be measured. yeah, maybe I'm overstating it

Pedro Lucas: Six.

Adam Dean: the best way to put it would be lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. so I'm not going to reorganize my day and rush to give reviews to proposals that I've never seen before just because somebody selected the open source committee from a drop down and then somebody scheduled a meeting that's going to happen. ...

Adam Dean: happen. essentially I feel like we're being mandated what our job just became as unpaid volunteers that's not how any of this works.

Pedro Lucas: So just before we go to protect,...

Pedro Lucas: I'm so sorry. I'm also on the page of I don't think we're being asked to write definitive binding reviews on because obviously we're not going to cover all of them in two hours. But what I would try to get as facilitated from this call is that we are at ease with the process and I would be curious to look into some of these format especially this format to make sure we can work synchronously on so that's my point of Text

Jonathan Kelly: But I would say I'm not at ease with a process that has been illdefined.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. ...

Terence McCutcheon: I was in the budget AMA call last night, which if anybody's curious, they are not well attended. so Lloyd did go over essentially a snapshot of the process where we are right now. that the things that I could tell you is if you have any ability or desire if you can plan to attend any of the reconciliation workshops that will take place between May 1st and May 6th, it would be beneficial.

Terence McCutcheon: The way that Lloyd phrased it last night is that if committees are present in those calls and can make an immediate decision, they can give their perspective on a yes or no. and I don't know how this is supposed to work because there's obviously some expectations of having Reps in these calls as well.

Jonathan Kelly: But wasn't the explicit thing not to have committees give an explicit yes or no because they shouldn't be the final authority and...

Jonathan Kelly: it should be DREAP selected. It seems contradictory a statement to say committees could give a definitive yes or no. That's not their role according to the pivot.

Terence McCutcheon: There's also commu community members that are asking the question that you as committee members are asking yourself.

Terence McCutcheon: Why is it right or proper that a committee is now forced to take on a proposal that they are not willing to oversee?

Jonathan Kelly: I'm glad the community understands.

Terence McCutcheon: So I don't expect any of you to take the time that I have attending these meetings or workshops or whichever. I have attended every workshop and I will continue to attend every workshop which is the two that are today and...

Jonathan Kelly: You have my greatest sympathy and...

Terence McCutcheon: obviously the two that are next week.

Jonathan Kelly: empathy, sir.

Terence McCutcheon:

Terence McCutcheon: I'll tell you Monday night drives. But no, it's still very very interesting and at least the ones that took place last week were overgoing the process in general. there was a question that was posed. Unfortunately, it did not make it to the public light as of yet as I was trying to discuss it in the email last night, but I'm still going to work on finding that. But yes, it essentially revolved around Intersect Cardano budget and the differences in between and how intertwined everything is at this point to where

as has been clearly stated by not only the committee but also the community there's some major clarity gaps in this entire process. So we're still trying to put it together as we can and hopefully I'm not saying anything incorrectly.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm just giving my view of everything that I've seen.

Jonathan Kelly: No, no,...

Terence McCutcheon: So Yeah,...

Jonathan Kelly: it's okay. the weight of authority has been put on the DREPs without first co coordinating with the DRPs. How to wield that authority is the issue, right? it's been a rush process to make sure that legitimacy comes from the delegated voting stake, but then there's no formal procedure beyond here's a bunch of proposals, vote yes or no and add a comment. which isn't really a formal procedure and...

00:35:00

Terence McCutcheon: let me go after Lucas's question.

Jonathan Kelly: and also yes yes yes there are meetings that have been set up...

Terence McCutcheon: I'm sure is hold please.

Jonathan Kelly: but not all drefs are attending I will note sorry

Pedro Lucas: Yeah, the reps part is something that we're not going to be able to,...

Pedro Lucas: work on, The reps are going to do whatever they want they want to do, unfortunately. Or it's

Jonathan Kelly: No.

Jonathan Kelly: Fortunately, committee shouldn't be dictated to what their role is. The reps should have a better input into what their role is. I think there was a consultancy not done here on either side.

Pedro Lucas: Cindy

Sandip Pandey: At least I have a bit different opinion. If something is put on OC to give a review, then I think being a part of the committee, it is at least our responsibility to have a look because it is about somebody asking funding from the Kadano treasury for certain project. Being on the committee of open source, I think it is a responsibility for us to at least have a look And...

Sandip Pandey: then just give me the responsibility that it's not our responsibility to do that. Just my opinion.

Terence McCutcheon: L Lucas,...

Terence McCutcheon: you should be able to edit H through M. The rest of the sheet is locked.

Pedro Lucas: Thank guys, I understand your points and I share them, but it's not that I'm just trying to blindly comply or move on but I am curious to get your feedback on these things like just fly over them, discuss and that's I think the most we could get from today. So if you still feel honestly Yeah.

Adam Dean: I propose that the open source committee vote that they do not endorse any of the proposed budget items.

Jonathan Kelly: Just a blanket statement.

Adam Dean: Yeah, I mean I will happily go down and leave a personal comment saying no on each one if that will somehow be helpful to your process. But I can do it.

Pedro Lucas: But I'm just a bit confused.

Pedro Lucas: Adam, but I see some py cardano option things that I think could be relevant to SC.

Adam Dean: And they should go through our tooling working group that will have budget as pursuant to our proposed budget process.

Pedro Lucas: So, yeah, I see in your seconds maybe I'm missing something. I'm going to pass it to text and maybe we should run a vote, but it's up to you guys.

Terence McCutcheon: So I don't want to ask anyone to do any more work than necessary, but I can add tooling working group into the suggested The idea behind that, Lucas, if you can scroll back just a little bit here. Too Right here. So, this endorse proposal, you guys should be able to check the boxes in here, yes or no, and then leave notes. if you refresh, it should be good. I'll check on that here.

Pedro Lucas: No worries.

Terence McCutcheon: And then I'm going to fix the permissions so you guys can adjust this one here. If you want to mark a blanket no on everything, that's fine. But if it's something that should go to the tooling working group, then I'll add that to suggested category. You put it as tooling working group. If it's something in the suggest in the area of this number 14, lucid evolution maintenance. something that I noticed and I feel would probably be the sentiment of the committee, but I can't make this up for you, is anything that actually includes strict development or maintenance is not what we're looking for or not what we've put into the paid open source model, anything of that nature.

Terence McCutcheon: So specifically on the basis that somebody is trying to fund maintenance or development of something that is not part of what we've already prescribed would be something that is either TSC not applicable or tooling working group. so that's the way that I would suggest putting some feedback here if that is applicable. if you guys want me to put my thoughts on this as to what you all might say, that's fine. But I don't want to do it. And just so you guys have a glaze over, yeah, okay, that looks fine. I want to give some specifics. or I think it's better if the committee is able to give some specifics as to why You don't have to respond to everything either. So, if you don't want to respond to anything, that's fine, but some things may require response.

00:40:00

Georg Link: I understand this whole thing to be not something that we set out to do and to be out of scope for what we wanted to do in the OC. And so I understood Adam's proposal earlier to say, "Hey, this is out of scope for what we come together to do." There are processes. If you want OC support on projects, on funding, please use those processes. And then we just leave it at that and move on to a different agenda item and stop discussing this spreadsheet.

Jonathan Kelly: The problem is that our proposal from the USC with budgetary line items has to pass a DREP vote in order for it to become our process that was already predefined. we've been hijacked. and there's no guarantee that the one that you're referring to here, would actually continue to exist.

Terence McCutcheon: He got five.

Jonathan Kelly: And that's an existential

Pedro Lucas: Adam.

Adam Dean: I guess we're not quit, so we can't actually do a vote today, Or are we? One, two, three, four, five. Okay. Yeah. I mean, because I mean I propose that we do not review these because we have our own processes. How many are any of these guys in the contribution ladder right now? are any of these proposals like submitting via the maintainer retainer program? Are any of them applying under the code for us? No, they're seeking separate outside of the open source committee budget and they can stand or fail on their own without any endorsement or time spent from us that is not owed to them is where I stand. And so I would vote that we vote and if you guys disagree then that's fine. but that's...

Adam Dean: where I'm firmly drawing a line in the sand on my time spent towards this process.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, just be before any vote might occur,...

Terence McCutcheon: I give a statement. I'm not looking for a pat on the back or anything. I'm just advising what happened over what's now two weeks. So, this document or spreadsheet was created at the beginning of last week. And forgive me for when exactly I shared it with you all. I believe it was the middle of last week because I don't think This week was the strategy piece. the design was to make this as functional as possible for you all to review with those separate documents. We didn't have a meeting so I didn't have time to explain that.

Pedro Lucas: I don't think timing is the issue here.

Terence McCutcheon: Here.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, it's more about the need for the review at all rather than the timing of not getting enough time to understand and engage with it. But that must be very upsetting because of the amount of time you put into creating it. So I apologize for that. Thanks.

Terence McCutcheon: No, it's okay. I'll just slither back into my secretary shell here. Okay.

Pedro Lucas: No, no. just to recap or if you will indulge me. So, what you're saying is that these guys should just apply through our standard things like the contribution ladder and etc. and ju just foreseeing a bit if we don't endorse any of them what will happen is that if they get funded it's like outside of our committee's purview. Is that correct?

Pedro Lucas:

Adam Dean: Yeah, I mean I don't know what actually happens to them. apparently Intersect is going to include them in its proposed budget if they get sufficient DREP support one way or another whether or not we endorse them but I will not take ownership or responsibility of proposals that I do not explicitly

endorse. So they can get money from however they get it, but if they're not going through the OSC established processes, then it becomes not our problem in my opinion.

00:45:00

Pedro Lucas: But we are also submitting a budget ourselves that has those tools. so we're asking to just get Exactly.

Jonathan Kelly: The difference in our budget is it's line items for styles or ideas or types of work rather than specific projects. so let's

Pedro Lucas: So we're asking that capital and then we'll manage it and possibly still support these projects through there. Am I understanding this correctly?

Adam Dean: Yeah. I mean almost all of those could apply and then they would either meet one of the criterias for one of our proposed capital allocation programs or they would not and then they could be accepted or rejected based on managing the OSO management of those programs like code for us maintainer retainer etc.

Jonathan Kelly: And even if they were bounced out of a review process going through that budgetary process, there's still an onchain parallel process of 100,000 a deposit go directly with the budget treasury proposal off the back of that. there's a system parallel to the intersect system that people seem to be forgetting.

Pedro Lucas: Okay. text

Terence McCutcheon: Just in case there's anybody on the committee who's not comfortable coming from somebody...

Terence McCutcheon: who has seen in quite a bit more detail a majority of these proposals. these proposals are again more focused on funding a maintenance track, funding a development track or funding operational costs for an organization or a project. All of those tracks differ from the developmental aspects of the paid open source committee proposal. So ju I just wanted to give that clarity as to why there's this feeling or sentiment of no fit.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm not trying to give you this idea of, hey, here's a blanket review of all the proposals and you should agree with what I say. that's not the point. I'm just telling you factually, I've looked at the breakdown on probably at least 50% of these proposals. They're asking for these different things. Here's what we are doing is different or what we've suggested is different. And if that needs any more explanation, I'm happy to provide that. I just wanted to try to give that as a point of clarity.

Pedro Lucas: Sandy, just bear with me a second. I just want to clarify on my notes and for today's budget call text. I have this one which is governance research and no consequ are we sure I just want to bounce off you. Are you sure that these are going to be in the today's call? Cuz I think we may have a Okay.

Jonathan Kelly: Get your

Adam Dean: Yeah, because if you look at the column that says category, there's governance and research and everything and then they just happen to choose they're targeting the open source budget for some reason to do governance,...

Pedro Lucas: So, it's the bucket thing.

Adam Dean: research and core development.

Pedro Lucas: Okay.

Jonathan Kelly: This goes back to the chaotic nature of this process.

Jonathan Kelly: people are openly able to select what committee they believe should oversee them rather than it being Yeah,...

Pedro Lucas: I understand I actually thought open source wasn't going to be mentioned here on today's call, but Mhm.

Jonathan Kelly: that's what I thought too and then I saw the spreadsheet and I had seen the spreadsheet being built before but I didn't realize that people were selecting open source outside of core and I apologize for not noticing that prior.

Pedro Lucas: Okay. Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: Which is why we ended up with this. 3 hours to go. There's going to be a meeting. We need to put a line out. I honestly don't think I could give it a qualified thought within that time frame. and I know it's been in existence for more than a week and a half. but there...

Pedro Lucas: ...

Jonathan Kelly: but there has been other

Pedro Lucas:

Pedro Lucas: no worries. So what I would suggest is I understand your position and let's have a vote on the blanket part of things but let's have a look at these internally and flag any that we can suggest that they go through our typical incubation or support frameworks. In whatever format you want because if these guys are reaching out or if they're flagging us, I would like to keep them in our radar as they're also projects trying to find their way to reach support and to articulate with us. Okay. Is that reasonable?

00:50:00

Adam Dean: I mean, no. It's kind of completely counter to...

Adam Dean: what I've proposed for a vote in that we will not spend additional time.

Pedro Lucas: I'm not saying we endorse them,...

Pedro Lucas: but Okay.

Adam Dean: No, I mean, I'm not planning on reading them we have our open source plan. Anybody that's not going through hasn't read our plan and planning to go through those proposals, so they're running around us does not warrant the time from the open source committee.

Pedro Lucas: I think that's clear. I've made my point. You made your point. Maybe we could go to a vote, but Gork

Georg Link: Lucas, I like your idea to reach out to them and say, "Hey, we saw that you put the open source committee on here. We'd love to engage you. Please find and then we provide a link to the process on how to engage with us and we'd love to receive your proposal." And that way we don't have to do anything else. We don't review anything. but we are still open to saying, "Hey, thank you for thinking of us. We'd love to work with you. please follow our process." And then it's on them to submit their proposal if they even want to be engaged with us.

Pedro Lucas: Thank you for that. And apparently, Adam, yeah, some people may not engage so much in this line of work or let's just gather that from OSC members and take it synchronously to see how we want to address it. but overall we are doing that that vote in terms of feeding back to intersect and saying we are not endorsing all of that. Text

Jonathan Kelly: What is the def definition of the vote? how will it be worded?

Adam Dean: I was just typing up a little kind of draft blanket response that we can make that's aligned with kind of what Jurg was saying. We can just give them a blanket, hey, here's the programs that we have. if you feel like you could match into one of them, by all means, here's the form, and then we can see where you fit inside of the current proposed open source office and open source committee framework. yeah. So my motion is that as a committee vote to not endorse any open-source flagged proposal that is outside of our own committee proposed budget. so that we will not endorse or necessarily oppose anything. we're just allowing them to exist and make their shot to the DREPs as they may.

Jonathan Kelly: take a neutral stance without commentary from the open source committee and...

Jonathan Kelly: with the open source committee saying that we already have an established process. If you also want to go to Napa.

Adam Dean: Yeah. and...

Adam Dean: inviting them all to see and apply under one of the existing open source committee processes.

Jonathan Kelly: I'm happier with a neutral stance than a blanket no. so if that's the suggested vote, take a neutral stance. we can't endorse nor deny any of these and...

Jonathan Kelly: just let it exist as it

Georg Link: I've formulated

Adam Dean: Yeah. ...

Pedro Lucas: That's Okay.

Adam Dean: you has a really good language in there. the OSC declined commenting on any proposal that has not gone through the OSC processes. We encourage any proposers to pursue support through the OSC programs. Yeah, I will second that as the official language if we want to move to vote on that.

Pedro Lucas: So, I think what you just said is being recorded. So, let's phrase that. Drop it on Discord. Members can vote there. I would, from the people in the call today. keep in mind it's for OSC seats to vote. Anyone else can opine in there in our internal channel. It's just because it's a bit more binding that a thumbs up here or a poll on a Google Meet that's going to be closed. would you agree with that? Okay, text.

Adam Dean: Yeah, and I'm happy to put it into the channel personally as well as the person recommending it.

Terence McCutcheon: All right.

Pedro Lucas: Can anyone create a poll then afterwards just to make sure we gather all the votes? Yes and no. Or could you do that? Mhm.

Terence McCutcheon: I believe polls are open. I will check that. But I just wanted to clarify the OSC internal channel is exactly that. It is so it is just the voting members of the committee. and then the other thing that I was going to mention because this may or could be commented on a number of different proposals. if you guys don't want to leave any comments then we just publish this on our Gitbook and we were direct to that anytime that we're asked about it. But if we want to comment a response on each proposal so that they know that the OSC has given any consideration, I'd be the one going through that and it would explicitly say we have not reviewed and this is our stance. I just wanted to address that declined commenting because that would be invalidated on the moment that we do that.

00:55:00

Terence McCutcheon: ...

Pedro Lucas: I think we're at the stage...

Jonathan Kelly: decline the ...

Pedro Lucas: where we're still going to vote on it as members.

Jonathan Kelly: it hasn't been defined, but I would say decline commenting on the specifics of any proposal rather than on any proposal because then what you're doing is commenting that you're not going to go further than this comment.

Terence McCutcheon: right. Exactly.

Pedro Lucas: Are we all aligned then?

Adam Dean: And I already proposed it in the OSC internal chat on Discord.

Jonathan Kelly: I'll go vote. I'm going to go OSC internal.

Pedro Lucas: I don't have a lightning emoji. So, I would give you one of those Okay guys,...

Jonathan Kelly: I think I've left my mic I'm just going to live vote right by

Pedro Lucas: I think that was the agenda for today. There is some missing things or fairly, substantial amount of them. while you're in the channel, scroll up and down for the ones that you do identify with as your mandate in here or as your remit. I'm Not sure what the term to use but let's continue asynchronously. If anyone wants to add

Terence McCutcheon: Adam, can you just add the specifics part in there?

Terence McCutcheon: Commenting on specifics of any proposal. Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: on the specifics of any proposal.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah. Adam of any proposal that has not gone through

Adam Dean: Yeah. I'm on it. So, the OSC declines commenting on the specifics of any proposal that has not gone through the OSC processes. We encourage any proposers to pursue support through the OSC programs. All right. Now, I need to find a thumbs down reaction here.

Terence McCutcheon: I would just suggest that there be a slightly different comment that we provide for fusion and rewards calculation because those have been through our process. So I cannot in good faith put this comment on those proposals. Yes. So,...

Jonathan Kelly: If they've gone through our process, did we have any official line to take previously and can that be reused or...

Jonathan Kelly: has it not been reviewed properly?

Adam Dean: I mean,...

Adam Dean: haven't they already been rejected from our process? So, I mean,...

Jonathan Kelly: Reuse that.

Adam Dean: why do we need to ask then? it's clear that we are not going to endorse those even explicitly say no towards those. Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: so we'll just abstain from those specifically. If they've been through, then we'll not respond.

Georg Link: Or we can say they have gone through our process and at the time we did not accept them.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, I mean that is what happened and if the other decline commenting on the specifics of any proposal that has not gone through it behooves us to say what the previous statement was on a proposal that did. So I would refer back to any previous decisions so that it shows that we are commenting on proposals that have gone through.

Adam Dean: And note Jurg does not have access to that channel in Discord text.

Pedro Lucas: Yeah, I was following up on that. I'm going to drop his handle here for text and...

Jonathan Kelly: Can you give a verbal yarn on the call here?

Pedro Lucas: add It's a placeholder,...

Terence McCutcheon: I can fix that momentarily.

Terence McCutcheon: Hang on.

Adam Dean: You're drafted the statement that I then proposed. So, I'm pretty sure he's in.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, that's fair.

Terence McCutcheon: Eric is there now.

Jonathan Kelly: I'm pretty sure he endorses it. that thumbs down.

Georg Link: Yes, I

Jonathan Kelly: Is that thumbs down an actual vote? Just to check.

Pedro Lucas: I think.

Adam Dean: No, it's...

Jonathan Kelly: Is there Okay.

Adam Dean: how you do it if you're submitting a reaction poll on Discord is you give people the two emojis. So as the proposer put a thumbs up and a thumbs down because it's clear that I clearly agree but I'm providing the thumbs down so that anybody that is opposed to it can react accordingly.

Jonathan Kelly: So, that thumbs down needs to be minus one whenever it's actually finally reviewed then.

Adam Dean: That yeah, correct.

Jonathan Kelly: It's on a recording on YouTube that this is the method.

01:00:00

Jonathan Kelly: So, we're currently five to zero.

Pedro Lucas: So you can see what I'm typing, right? So I'm going to do the same.

Adam Dean: Yep.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, just put a thumbs up and thumbs down as this is what I'm asking or suggesting that you guys do. just so we could get the sentiment of who's intending to do that and just share any feedback if you identify option or pardono or whatever you drop in here and say okay this proposal could go here there and then I will try to pipeline those remarks to the submitters of those proposals.

Pedro Lucas: Okay. Yeah.

Adam Dean: So, asking individual community members if they're so inclined they're free to review them and then maybe try to identify which program would be a best fit for a particular proposal. Yeah.

Pedro Lucas: I rewarded it to triage. So, it's Just triage, not a review, not an endorsement. Just say, "Okay, guys." because I feel like I'm gonna say we sort of owe that to the community somehow in terms of we're out there being the open source committee. So, if there's genuine proposals that we think we'd be very welcome to do that, we could help orient them towards our support frameworks. Anyone else?

Pedro Lucas: Okay, Jorg is just adding on the chat that he won't have time to do that, but yeah, maybe he can do a second pass on what we do or we just do what whatever comes up in terms of our input to that initiative. Guys, we're over time. So, it was I would say very productive in the sense that at least we had a debate, we got conclusions. if that no one else has anything to add, let's keep in touch synchronously. Thank you so much. Bye.

Sandip Pandey: Thank you.

Meeting ended after 01:03:11 🙌

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.