English 5 Independent Reading Project
Over the next few weeks you will be working on an Independent Reading Project. While I will be sure to give you ample class time for D.E.A.R., you should plan to do the bulk of this assignment independently. After finishing your book, you should choose one of the following projects to complete and present to our class.
Draw a Comic Strip
- Choose one of your favorite scenes and draw it as a comic strip. Each panel (minimum of 4) should include careful illustrations and meaningful captions. You may draw by hand or use a computer program.
- Use the main character and plot as inspiration for a poetry chapbook. A chapbook is simply a small collection of poems. Yours should include between 4-7 poems. The poems can be about the novel, or written in the voice of a character from the novel.
Write the Sequel
- Imagine you are writing the first three paragraphs of the sequel to your novel. What happens next? Be creative, but keep it realistic! For example, if you were reading Wonder, your sequel might be about Auggie’s summer vacation, his next school year, or even fast-forward to his life as an adult.
- Write a monologue in the voice of a character from your novel. Make sure your monologue has a beginning, middle and end and that your character has a specific opinion and feeling about the topic at hand. For this presentation you may use a costume and props. You may record your monologue to share in class, or perform it live and in person.
- Just like a movie trailer, a book trailer is a short video (2-3minutes long) that tells the audience why they might like to read your novel. You can use iMovie, Animoto, Stupeflix, Tech4Learning Frames, or even just the video function on a phone, but your trailer should be thoughtfully planned out. Your trailer is like a commercial for the book and should include details about the plot without giving away any surprises! Videos must be in a single file and either emailed to me or brought in on a USB drive for projection in class.
Your book should be completed by ________________
Your project is due on __________________