Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
08.24.15 at 6:45 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 09.21.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:42 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, Member; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, FD
Community Members: JenniLynn Lawrence
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Tamia
Next Montessori Moment: Chad
- Approval of the July 20, 2015, July 23, 2015 (Special Meeting), and August 3, 2015 (Special Meeting) Minutes: Julie B. moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda with the following change: elimination of item IX.b.ii. Retreat Planning. Motion seconded and approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: JenniLynn Lawrence introduced herself and thanked the board for the opportunity to apply for board membership. She has two daughters that will be attending the school this year. She is excited to participate and willing to serve in whatever capacity she can.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – June 15, 2015”
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Julie S and Josh: meet to fill out the board assessment and then sent it out to the board for comments.
- All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- Julie: contact Anna regarding contacts for Kathy for the Curriculum Committee.
- Josh: set the CCSP training schedule with board and staff once it becomes available.
- Consent Agenda – not applicable
- Joint Board Meeting
- Review Google Documents/Reporting Process (Tamia)
- Tamia presented the following documents:
- Organizing Google Drive – Uploaded to Google
- Google Files – a list of all folders in our Google Drive
- Process for BOD Reports – Uploaded to Google
- Action Item – Everyone change ownership of all uploaded Google files over to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discuss Board Retreat Committee Report (Matt and Alexia)
- Retreat Dates: October 16th (4 hours) and 17th (8 hours)
- Action Item: Board Retreat Committee will continue to meet and fine-tune the agenda for the retreat.
- Review and fill-in Committee List (Julie)
- Tamia updated the file on Google as the discussion took place.
- BOD President – Julie
- Executive Committee Report
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Quarterly Financial Statements will be available after the auditor has reviewed them – September 8th.
- Reviewed Updated CKMS Building Remodel
- Action Item: Susan will upload the Updated CKMS Building Remodel document to Google.
- Loan for Building Remodel
- Once we have the loan, Susan will create a subaccount and authorize Dolores State Bank to pull our payments on the due dates.
- Rate is currently at 4.75, but sets annually at prime.
- Note is due at 3 years.
- Julie requested that the BOD Treasurer review the loan documents prior to approving and signing them.
- Nate reviewed the documents.
- Resolution to be discuss during Building and Location Committee update.
- Executive Director – Josh
- We currently have 7 spaces available.
- Upper El – 35/36
- Lower El – 24/27 each
- Business Manager – Susan
- Additional Committee Reports (uploaded to Google)
- Building & Locations
- Resolution for construction loan
- Nate moved to approve the Corporate Resolution to Barrow/Grant Collateral from Dolores State Bank and authorize Julie Suckla and Tamia Hurst to sign the document on behalf of Children’s Kiva Montessori School. Motion seconded. Approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Nate moved to authorize Julie Suckla and Tamia Hurst to execute a promissory note in the amount of $75,000 with Dolores State Bank as prepared by Dolores State Bank pledging Children’s Kiva Montessori School’s inventory as collateral and to execute any documents required by Dolores State Bank to complete this transaction. Motion seconded. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Nate gave an update on the buildings; everything for 25 N. Beech should come together by tomorrow. 18 N. Beech will need a little more time.
- Julie said the big signs will be here Thursday; parking signs will be done tomorrow and the rest will be here by the end of the week.
- New Business
- Action Item: Tamia will upload JenniLynn’s BOD application to Google.
- The board should consider purchasing The Montessori Way by Epstein and Seldin for new board members.
- Tamia suggested having an Open House for the public. Further discussion during Calendaring.
- Shared Board Information
- Nominations & Board Development Committee – Shamai (Notes from CH BOD meeting)
- Board Evaluation
- Action Item – Shamai will email the Board Evaluation to all BOD members within the next two weeks with instructions and deadline.
- Board Application and Board Nomination Process
- Action Item – Andrew and Eric will review and provide feedback to Shamai regarding the Board Application and Board Nomination Process documents.
- Matt recommended that attendance at a board meeting be required prior to being nominated to the board.
- Tamia recommended that potential applicants attend at least one board meeting, which could include the meeting they are being nominated at since nominations take place near the end of the board meetings.
- Action Item – Shamai will make amendments to the documents to reflect board meeting attendance.
- Approval of the Board Application and Board Nomination Process need to be on next meeting’s agenda.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- First Day of School – August 26th
- Family BBQ at Montezuma Park – September 9th from 5 to 6:30 pm
- Public Open House – September 9th from 6:30 to 8 pm
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, September 21st at 6:30 pm at Beech Street
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Retreat Committee Report – September
- CDE CCSP Grant Required Training Schedule – TBD
- BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – September
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Nominations of new board member – September
- Swear in all BOD members – Board Retreat
- Employee Handbook – TBD
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Approval of the Board Application and Board Nomination Process documents – September (Consent Agenda)
- Adjournment: Nate moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:31 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary