AMQG 2017 Youth Scholarship Application
The Albuquerque Modern Quilt Guild (AMQG) would like to encourage youth, Grades 6 – 12 (2017-18 school year), to begin the journey to become sewists. The Guild is offering scholarships for boys and girls that include the following:
- Sewing Machine and accessories kit (Ever Sewn Sparrow 15 and Sewing Starter Kit)
- Two 1.5 hour group sewing lessons at Hip Stitch
- Choice of two yards fabric at Hip Stitch (up to $12 per yard)
- Choice of notions, thread, zippers etc., ($15 at Hip Stitch)
- Book: Get Quilting with Angela and Chloe: 14 Projects for Kids to Sew
- Total value: $430.00
- Application deadline – Monday, June 5, 2017. Postmark or email by midnight. ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- Awards will be announced by June 15, 2017.
- Winners must attend an AMQG celebration at Hip Stitch, Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 6 p.m. During this event, winners will be given their machines and materials, and pictures will be taken. This celebration will be immediately followed by the first lesson, ending at approximately 9 p.m.
- The second lesson will be held Tuesday, July 18, 2017 from 6:30-8:30.
- Winners are asked to attend the August 1st meeting of AMQG to share work and progress and encouraged to enter something in the NM State Fair. Entry dates are in late August.
- Email the completed application to: Kathryn.firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail it to: Kathryn Weil, 4 Vista de Oro, Placitas, NM 87043, or drop it off at Hip Stitch, new address, at 2320 Wisconsin St. NE 87110.
School_______________________________________________________________ Grade (9/17)_________________________________
Parent Email________________________________________________________ Parent Phone_________________________________
Please attach the following to this application:
- One paragraph on why you want a sewing machine and why you want to learn to sew.
- Describe a project you would make if you had unlimited resources.
- Describe what you have sewn in the past and who has helped you.
- A letter of recommendation or support from an adult who is not your parent or grandparent.
Applicant Signature Parent Signature