Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
11.16.15 at 5:30 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 11.20.15
- Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 5:32 pm.
- Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; JenniLynn Lawrence, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Julie Suckla, Member (via Face Time); Kathy Stemmler, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Alexia Hudson, CHD; Susan Likes, FD
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Tamia
Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Chad
- Approval of the following minute:
- Joint Work Session – 10.19.15 (Notes)
- BOD Meeting – 10.19.15
- BOD Special Meeting – 10.23.15
- BOD Special Meeting – 10.29.15
- BOD Special Meeting – 11.09.15
- BOD Special Meeting – 11.11.15
JenniLynn moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: JenniLynn moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – October 19, 2015
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit”
- All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- Chad, JenniLynn: e-mail a short bio and picture to Tamia.
- Action Items from 11.14.15 BOD meeting
- JenniLynn: prepare a proposal for amending the bylaws and organizational chart to reflect the FD reporting directly to the BOD. Also included in the proposal will be changing the title of ED to Head of School (HOS).
- Julie and/or Nate: reach out to Tony to assist with the HOS Job Description and also the criteria for hiring a HOS.
- Consent Agenda – n/a
- Board Business:
- Approve CCSP Year Three Grant budget
- Alexia suggested that CH not attend the AMS conference in order to free up those funds for other use.
- Julie suggested that only 2 people attend the CLC conference.
- Alexia suggested to take some or all of the $4,230 from materials and move it into travel.
- Take $10,000 from PD training and move it to the Admin training.
- Additional discussion and transfer of funds.
- Susan implemented all suggestions and reprinted the budget.
- Julie moved to approve the revised CCSP Year Three Grant budget as presented by Susan. Motion seconded, no discussion, all approved. Motion carried.
- Approve Employee Handbook
- JenniLynn moved to approve the Employee Handbook with the changes as submitted to Susan. Motion seconded, no discussion, all approved. Motion carried.
- Approve revised 2015-16 budget reflecting additional READ Act and ELPA funds and modified expenditures.
- Julie moved to approve the revised 2015-16 budget reflecting additional READ Act and ELPA funds and modified expenditures as presented by Susan. Motion seconded, no discussion, all approved. Motion carried.
- BOD email address Communication
- Tamia recommended the board only use one email and one operator. She is willing to oversee the board’s email.
- Action Item – Josh will email Tamia the updated contact list.
- Agenda Items for Friday’s BOD meeting
- We will hold an Executive Session on Friday at 5:30 pm and then have an open meeting at 7 pm.
- Action Item – all board members need make a list of important factors pertaining to the transition.
- Action Item – Josh will email his proposal to the board.
- Action Item – Julie will follow-up on the legal advice during our meeting.
- Action Item – Nate will draft a letter to be sent out to parents tomorrow to inform them of the meeting. All board members review and respond to Nate’s email.
- New Business
- Action Item – Josh will contact the Montessori SPED consultant in TX.
- Action Item – Josh will give Mona Snyder a new letter of hire.
- Action Item – Tamia will find the minutes that described the school’s name and give that information to JenniLynn.
- Action Item – Tamia will provide new signature resolutions.
- Action Item – Nate will talk with Tony regarding the transition.
- Shared Board Information
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- Stone Soup – Wednesday, November 18 @ 5:30 pm, Calvin Denton Room
- Next BOD meeting
- Friday, November 20th at 5:30 pm (Executive Session) and 7:00 pm (Open Meeting)
- Monday, December 14, 2015 at 6:30 pm (unless CH cannot meet, then we will meet at 5:30 pm)
- Action Item – Tamia will contact the CH board regarding a possible date change.
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – October
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Discuss Google for Education – November
- Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD
- Approval of amended bylaws – December
- Opt-out policy – December
- Adjournment: Kathy moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:09 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary