Metagame Design Idea Synopses
Disclaimer: the posts in this doc are all the ones I have found with the MDMI tag in them, I am not responsible for them being awesome, bad, reposts or not actually metagame related. If I have missed any, sorry!
This doc is to track the ideas posted for the Metgame Design Meeting with brief descriptions of each. This will act as a repository for ideas and will facilitate idea-creation and discussion but will also reduce the number of reposts of ideas already mentioned. I won’t be able to find all of them, but I’ll look through at least the first 2 pages and /new of the subreddit and add them here.
If your post is not described correctly, send me a message. I tried to remain neutral when adding the blurbs so no one is influence by my own opinions.
What is “Metagame”?
What is the Metagame Design Idea Meeting thing anyway?
Resource Generators (Vonic_)
Resources and bases need to be REALLY IMPORTANT. (clarithium)
Vehicle Costs and Timers.... (BiggLou55)
Resource Denial and Universal Playstyle Resource Sink and Faction Redesigns (Sirisian)
New Vehicle Resource System (rockrobinoff)
How to make things meaningful (Wizzball99)
Resource Management - Supply Lines - Convoys (Nekryyd)
Adding goals, a command structure, revamping resources and creating memorable gameplay: The Unified Metagame Concept (Mr_Drone)
Resources, Cont Locking, Base Adjustments (Cyridius)
Lots of Small Changes = Big Improvements (video inside) (MrG4F)
A More Meaningful Resource System (ghnurbles)
Empire Resources and the Return of the ANT (-MarauderShields)
Increasing Strategic Flow and adding New Objectives (NobelAT)
Objectives, Defense and Commentary (the_j4k)
Cutting off territory = huge impact on defense. (spamholderman)
Cross-continent Base Locking (AJWinky)
Gen Holds and the Lattice with a twist. (bastiVS)
Linked continents via warpgate network (AshRolls)
Fixed base capture times (AudieMurphy135)
Change base design to protect defenders. Add doors, more connected structures, and more defensive positions, similar to PS1 but improved. (tenix)
Make smaller bases important (Svant)
Defense: Mobile Shield Generators (laoss)
Two Ways to Conquer a Continent (delever)
Key Changes (gazzila)
Deployment Interference Generators (Vindicore)
The Tactical Issues (ScourgeOfTheServer)
Base Mechanics, Role Fulfillment and Tactical Hex Diversity (Crysander)
An End To 'Progress Bar Simulator' (DJSplendid)
Map Interfaces, Deployables, Growing as a Character. Simple ideas for nice meta, building on top of NobelAT (Exano)
More info about your faction (I_Dont_Get_Out_Much)
Communicating Without Talking: A Visualization (Exano)
Command, Terrain and Experience - the crux of the matter (Vindicore)
Friendly Force Indicators (Rhaive)
Make detailed game statistics available to inform and test users' metagame designs (meepmeep13)
Politics 2.0 (Thorbinator)
Communication, Information & Coordination (Cooper42)
Recruit-a-Friend system (Suffragium)
Faction Legacies (CaesarBritannicus)
Victory Conditions (dmitchel0820)
Base Benefits Redesign (NewSith)
Change Base importance and Value. (deathcapt)
Dynamic strategic locations (BONUS: Overhauled resource gain). (vrumpt)
Major bases have more value the longer you hold them. (Goldoche)
Overworld Events (Imp_Hunter)
Real and substantial penalties for losing a continent. (dogOmatic4000)
Global Scoring and Territory Weighting (zolask)
XP bonus for cutting off territory/saving it (veryredbike)
reduce the zerg by using adjacency benefits (curly87)
Continent Conquering rewards and general lack of finality. (Quackberry)
Daily Challenges/Objectives (IplayTheGuitarBetter)
Rewards Drive Metagame (Solaries3)
Advanced Metagame, Encouraging Defense, Attacks, and End-Game (Exano)
Do not focus on the winner, focus on the losing party (GingerWithFreckles)
Votable Orders/Objectives/Missions with XP rewards (olearys)
Defense provides passive periodic experience (Wyndo)
Base Value/Types (JKwan88)
Commanders priority Attack/Defence map markers controls empire deploy locations (Vindicore)
Resources, Spawn mechanics, Base Benefits, Communications... (raiedite)
More permanent conquest and meaningful rewards (jakerake)
Territory held provides an experience bonus (nathanebht)
Merge servers already! (7Seals)
PS2HardCore A Community Design Idea Submission (Monster2)
Catering To Non-Integral Support Players (Emrak)
My final compilation. Covering early to advanced meta game with a handful of videos and images. (Exano)
What is “Metagame”?
Taken from Urban Dictionary:
The highest level of strategy in many complex games, metagame refers to any aspect of strategy that involves thinking about what your opponent is thinking you are thinking.
Metagame comes into play in any game where no single strategy is dominant and opposing sides are aware of multiple strategies that can succeed dependent upon opponents' actions. In order to perform at the highest level, it then becomes necessary to think about what your opponent thinks you will do (which may depend on what he thinks you think he thinks he will do, etc.) and to make decisions based on clues regarding what level they are thinking on.
For PS2, it is what strategy a faction uses, how it affects the flow of battle and overall “victory” conditions. It does not greatly affect a squad or a platoon, but influences it. At the moment, the metagame is entirely player driven with very few tools to facilitate this and no real rewards for doing so. Metagame can also greatly influence player retention.
What is the Metagame Design Idea Meeting thing anyway?
The creative directors of Planetside 2 have created an event on the 26th of January to discuss what changes to the Metagame should be made. They will be inviting 5 players that are active in the community that have good ideas (based on upvotes) to join them live on a twitch stream (provided by AzureTwilight). Those not invited can watch and communicate through the chat window. These meetings will be happening periodically with different focuses in order to get the community involved in the game’s development.
Each MDMI is assigned to a category based on its primary change/idea.
- Add generators (like SCU and shield) that extract/distribute resources. They can be overloaded in order to deny resource gain to the opposing faction. Only significant bases would receive the resource generators.
- Have respawns cost 20 infantry resources
- Facilities should have improved benefits
- Change the way timers work and bring resources back into the picture. Take away the timers to acquire vehicles (including MAX) and use an adjusted Resource Cost based on the time of the last spawn
- Make resources what matter, not the cooldown timer
- Merge resources to a common pool to equalize all playstyles
- Resource gain would instead be based on performance in game, be it combat or support
- Vehicles will cost more when next to a recently lost territory
- All guns/abilities/upgrades will have an inherent resource cost
- Share costs of vehicles among squadmates
- All factions get the same weapons but certs for increased RoF, reload speed, etc will be added
- Identical hitboxes for all vehicles, as well as maneuvering
- Make vehicle resource costs dependent on distance to the warpgate
- Does not apply to aircraft due to their ability to get around the map so quickly
- Remove resources from all territories.
- Players earn 10 resources of each type per minute
- Tech Plants, Amp Stations, BioLabs provide 10% extra mechanized, aircraft, and infantry resources respectively
- Significantly increase resource costs of vehicles, and in some cases increase HP and damage
- Change aircraft flares to be ammo dependent instead of on a cooldown
- Limit class-switching by only having it possible at the warpgate, but large bases allow for maxes and all terminals allow for loadout changes.
- Increase survivability of static defense points (turrets)
- If cut off from the warpgate, that territory no longer influences those around it. And if not re-connected in 30 minutes, it will automatically switch to the faction with the most influence.
- Display outfits on the map
- Give ace fighters a challenge by making an announcement of their location.
- Celebrate capturing a continent
- Make capturing bases less tedious.
- A stockpile system that has bases hold the resources
- Each base manages a different resources: Tech Plant - Mechanized, Amp Station - Aerospace, Bio Lab - Infantry.
- No resource gain outside of friendly territory
- Players are given resources based on the closest stockpile and every uptake of resources decreases the stockpile
- Any surplus is given to the warpgate, which, when it has a surplus, fills other base’s stockpiles
- If cutoff, a base no longer accumulates or distributes resources
- Warpgate surplus is also transferred to other continents’ warpgates
- Make resource acquisition feel like accomplishing goals
- Holding a region for longer improves the benefit of holding it
- Create a command structure for players to define and control that can actually affect regions and their benegits
- Add shields to all windows that prevent tank rounds from entering
- All capture points inside, with choke points around them
- Significantly decrease mechanized and aerospace resource gain (>50%)
- Increase vehicle timer base to 30 minutes
- Do not allow MBT spawns at warpgates without a Tech Plant
- Give less experience for kills versus objective play
- All passengers of a vehicle share kills/assists
- Bonuses for capturing certain percentages of capping a continent
- Make capturing a continent more prominent and important
- Increase vehicle cost and value
- Combine air and vehicle resources and increase the maximum resource pool
- Add a new resource to allow for creation of base assets
- Sieges. When a region is cut-off from their warpgate, they have less ammo, longer spawn times and resources begin to drain
- Resource boosts if warpgate locked if they are able to capture 3 bases.
- Create a leader system that would allow a leader to send broadcast messages. All players in a faction get to vote on who the leader would be. And leaders would control the bastion fleet carrier (replacing the hot drop system).
- Make resources earned instead of given by having them tied to XP earnings
- Territories no longer provide resources but a reduction in resource cost for a particular category
- Combine all resource types into one, called auraxium or nanites or something. This would prevent hoping from tank to plane and back
- Remove resource stockpiles but make it easier to use resources in spawn screens
- Automatic main base repair systems called NTU Reactors, if no repairs are required it stores the charge for when the repairs are needed. Repair rate is proportional to charge.
- ANTs can supply facilities’ NTUs with charge
- ANTs can also take charge from the NTU Reactors to produce “empire resources” at the warpgate. Which can be used by leaders for resupply drops, repair bonuses, or bombardment. Limits on who could and how often one could use these abilities would be set.
- Empire Resources are a common pool per continent
- Either ANT required to have small passive generation
- Adds greater defensive abilities to bases to promote defense, a strategic object to destroy(ANTs) and a tactical ability to alter the flow of a battle with the additional leader abilities.
- Turn certain open space hexes into neutral territory that does not influence nearby bases in order to promote a flow from base to base.
- Add attrition. Resources are only earned in territory connected to the warpgate and those directly next to them. This would make cut-off territories not generate resources for the players trying to defend them.
- Promote defense by making spawn buildings spawn players faster than sunderers, more buildings with multiple rooms/corridors and buildings around choke points.
- Add weekly objectives to supply a “win” condition.
- Use NobleAT’s neutral territory, but also have walls of hexes act as neutral in some cases where space does not permit.
- Again in response to NobleAt, add a cert for a sunderer to carry resources to cutoff bases
- Cutting off territory will slowly cause the cap point to flip to the control of the enemy with the most influence.
- Standing on your own cap when cut off prevents the loss of the territory but does not successfully defend until reconnected to the warpgate.
- To reward those on the point when cut off, a small xp reward could be given.
- Capturing certain combinations of bases on one continent should lock bases on other continents.
- In order to maintain the lock, all the requisite bases must be help.
- Capturing central territory (Crown, Raven’s Landing, etc) temporarily allows your faction to ignore locks.
- Add generator rooms with “benefit generators”, that control the bonuses provided by Tech Plants/Bio Labs/Amp Stations. Requires 5 concurrent gen hacks to remove the effect.
- Implement a lattice system that does not restrict cap order, but following it increases cap time significantly. This is create a greater flow from base to base.
- Base bonuses apply only to other bases connected via the above lattice. Also added would be a base bonus transmitter, that would carry the bonus from base to base.
- Add sanctuaries to the game that are connected to the continents via the warpgate.
- Implement a lattice system to force players to fight into continents (requires >3 continents)
- Implement fixed capture times. The time would disregard influence and number of players on the cap point. The timer would progress as long as the cap point remained yours. To cap a multi-point facility, all points must be switched and the timer will only progress when you control all the points.
- Make influence affect spawn rate
- Give smaller bases a benefit akin to Tech Plants, Bio Labs and Amp Stations
- A galaxy or sunderer deployable generator that creates a shield dome over an outpost for a short time
- An EMP device that would shorten the lifespan of the mobile shield gen, but also disables all vehicles in it’s radius for a short time
- Be able to capture a continent by either holding the majority of the territory for a set number of days or
- Hold all territory for a set number of minutes
- Every base should be fully defensable
- The SCU should be removed entirely
- More interactive base hacking
- More information on friendly movement
- Health and damage buff on low population continents
- Create a new generator that prevents the deployment of sunderers and spawn beacons within a radius of the capture point. Totally overloadable/destroyable.
- Dynamic spawn times. Times based on how frequently you die. More deaths, longer timers. And sunderer timers should be the same or slower than buildings and no timer at the warpgate.
- Grenades and explosives are too lethal. Grenades should do 70% of current damage. Non-lethal grenades should cost less than frag grenades.
- Base design: no predictable ways that enemies come from. Need more real chokepoints. Adding walls and such.
- Class mixing. Allow players to bring a tool or ability into another class. There will be a limit with pluses and minuses to switching abilities around.
- Have infiltrators hack capture points and engineers reinforce to improve base defences
- Points would be split into categories to mark them as auxiliary or primary
- Certain capture points types would require an infiltrator to hack it in order to flip it
- A final capture points will be accessible once all others are flipped
- More inter-woven base designs to give battle a great flow from point to point
- Defense improvements cannot be created in a contested territory
- A way to mitigate the boredom of waiting for a point to flip
- Deathstreaks: when defending, when you die without killing an attacker you increase your deathstreak. When you do get a kill you receive a defendstreak bonus.
- Defensive drops: after spawning in a main spawn room, have the ability to instantly drop down unto that territory. Only available while on defense.
- Add information to the map screen that includes friendly activity.
- On HUD notifications for enemies attacking a facility of significance
- More deployables for engineers such as motion sensors and window/door forcefields to stop vehicle shell spam inside buildings but allow small arms fire.
- Create an interface for inter-outfit communications and organization.
- Add a small bit of text over a friendlies name that displays their destination waypoint when in a transport vehicle (galaxy/sunderer)
- Display friendly activity of the map
- Ability to have companies of platoons with a company commander that leads all of the platoons
- Priority Attack/Defend should allow hot-drops in that location
- Certification for platoon leaders that allows for multiple numbered waypoint
- Allow platoon leaders to set themselves as squad leaders
- More defensible terrain and buildings with windows/doors
- A generator to disrupt enemies from spawning in a certain area
- SCUs added to all bases
- Friendly only jump pads
- Reduce resource gain by 25%
- Territory capture xp depends on the amount of fighting that occured
- A definite reward for defending
- Add information to the map to include friendly force activity
- Have SOE make their PS2 data public in order for us to make use of it while coming up with metagame designs
- Create a political system for each faction.
- Faction leaders would be capable of using the broadcast system, control/moderation of order and leader channel, designating a primary continent and create of a chain of command (among others)
- Create a taxation and subsidy system
- Instant action determined by reinforcement requests
- Regional order chat to avoid spamming everyone all the time
- Have orders persist in the chat box for longer
- The last 4 or 5 orders will be visible in the score screen [tab]
- Outfit tags in the chatbox
- Create a system for exchanging situation reports
- Platoon leaders receive benefits of leaderships certs regardless of squad leadership
- Comm tower base benefit allows players nearby to see all active friendly radar on the map. Revealing enemy movement/assets and giving a greater sense of where fights are happening.
- Be able to recruit friends (via email) to play the game
- Every friend that decides to play gives you a short experience boost
- The more friends your recruit leads to other rewards such as certs, SC and titles
- Create 3 rewards categories: resource, domination and strategy.
- Players contribute to the score by either donating resources, capturing territory or cutting off enemy advances.
- At the end of each month a reward is attached to having the highest score but only one reward per faction is allowed
- Soe created missions/objectives.
- Objectives will vary in difficulty and rewards (xp/resources/etc).
- Frequency of missions would vary.
- Have Tech Plants limit equippable weapons on vehicles
- Bio Labs provide a free Medical Resoration Kit
- Amp Stations would provide either, a vehicle shield, extra armor, cost reduction, gen explostion time increase, or anti-vehicles shields on windows
- Add benefits to other outposts as well, fitting to their outpost characteristics
- Certain bases would provide extra weapons to the owning faction.
- All small single cap point outposts have their cap point removed and become garrisons around a central capturable location.
- All remaining capturable locations gain the hexes of the small outposts
- Tech-Plants, Bio-Labs and Amp Stations are the only territories to provide resources.
- Players gain 50% of the resources on continents they are not currently on.
- [G]ive the players a reason to defend their own territories while simultaneously making a target for enemy teams. This will be done by adding a new mechanic to territories that makes it more worthwhile to hold the longer it has been in control of your team.
- Add a timer to major bases that increases their benefits the longer they are held, in order to promote holding strategic bases.
- Make use of the open space in the maps for SOE created events such as a resource ship crashing. Factions would then fight to claim it for themselves. Rewards xp, resources, resource cost reduction and/or reduced timers on vehicles to the successful faction. Hoped to be a squad sized objective.
- Add a penalty for losing a continent of a 20% cert slow down
- When your faction gets warpgated, everyone in the faction dies.
- While warpgated, you cannot spawn at that warpgate for 30 minutes
- Significant xp bonus to any who successfull warpgate another faction
- Each hex is assigned a point value
- On the hour, the empire’s current score would be added to a daily counter.
- At the end of the day a “winner” is announced and that faction then gets an XP bonus for the next day
- XP bonus for cutting off enemy territories from their warpgate
- XP bonus for preventing your faction from having cut off territory
- Once an attacking force has an overly significant population over the defenders, have the cap XP be granted to adjacent hexes to allow the zerg to not cluster and wait around the cap point
- Capping a continent rewards all members of that faction a significant amount of certs
- Enemy warpgates on that content are unusable for a certain amount of time
- Have SOE create daily challenges/objectives for the player base that rewards certs/resources/etc
- Option of receiving outfit specific objectives
- Defense/capture becomes the primary source of experience
- Base xp for cap/defend remains akin to current xp, but will increase based on overall score accumulated during the cap/defense process
- Each player will receive xp based on time spent and contribution to the capture/defense
- Capture XP will have a higher maximum, but will only be given once captured. Defensive will have a lower maximum, but will be distributed periodically throughout the defense.
- Benefit to defend
- Capture XP dependent on size of forces fighting
- Better rewards for capping a continent
- A buff for capping a location
- New and different capture mechanics
- A big reward for capping all the continents at one time
- Give more incentives on defense/the losing party
- Players (or leaders with the cert) can submit suggestions for an in-game objective
- All suggestions must be measurable, such as capturing/defending a base for a set time, getting a certain number of kills and the like.
- Players then get to vote on which suggestion they like most and once enough people vote for an objective they have a set amount of time to complete it.
- Have defending a base provide periodic experience to those within a certain distance of the cap point. If the point is contested, no experience is distributed.
- Have all capturable outposts provide some benefit to the faction. Such as aircraft auto-tracking/spotting.
- Have the Priority Attack/Defense allow for drop podding in for all in the faction
- Extra xp for all responding to the request for attack/defense
- Change base benefits: Amp Stations make it impossible to capture external points until the central point has been flipped. Bio Labs prevent sunderer deployment in certain areas around bases. Tech Plants remain the same.
- When destroyed the SCU will delay respawn based on enemy influence on the area
- The more you die the longer respawn timers are on sunderers
- Vehicles cost more the further from the warpgate you are in terms of your own territory
- Repair rates of Aircraft cut in half, but pads assist with the repair
- Information on friendly forces, including numbers, assets and classes. Expand the options for attack/defend requests to include desired assets and information on enemies.
- Add continent locking for x hours and an xp boost/cert reward for the capping faction
- Locks are broken when the timer ends or another faction caps a different continent
- If a faction locks all but one continent they win the war and receive an even more significant cert reward
- Every owned territory provides a small xp gain boost in order to promote defence
- Merge servers to prevent capping of empty continents
- Only the warpgates continue to function. All other bases no longer allow for spawns, pulling vehicles or provide benefits. And no aircraft or spawning on a sunderer. However, the infantry terminal on the sunderer still works as normal.
- Map/continent dependent
- Upon leaving the warpgate, the HUD disappears
- 10 times the xp for all action
- Create a class specifically for people who don’t constantly go into combat.
- Allow vehicle wreckage to remain and the new class would clean it
- XP for transporting troops
- Increased XP for non-hot base repairs, such as turrets and generators
- Provides a resource boost for those nearby
- Compilation of Exano’s entries so far.
- More information on friendly activity
- More information on base benefits
- More information/notifications of enemy attacks
- Vehicle timer/resource tweaks
- More incentives to capture specific locations
- Better defensive bonuses
- Give hexes a meaningful role
- Different attack paths for main bases