An original recipe by Eryn McEntee
3 organic cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 teaspoon organic Italian herb blend
Splash red wine vinegar (optional)
1/2 cup uncooked red quinoa, rinsed (a fine sieve/strainer works well; leave in the device after rinsing; there may be leftovers)
1 cup water
1 large bunch organic lacinato/dino kale (red russian kale is another option)
Juice of 1 organic lemon, freshly squeezed (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon organic extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 large head organic red cabbage, coarsely shredded
2 organic carrots, peeled and shredded
2 organic scallions, snipped (kitchen shears work well)
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (microplane works well)
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup organic blueberries (fresh, frozen and defrosted or unsweetened dried)
- In a 1-quart sauce pan, sauté chopped mushrooms about 3 minutes on medium heat until they sizzle but do not brown. Add dried Italian herbs. Stir to prevent sticking to pan; add a splash of red wine vinegar if desired.
- Add rinsed red quinoa and stir to combine with the mushrooms.
- Add 1 cup of water to pan and bring to boil. Turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 8 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all the water. Remove from heat, fluff, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Chill in refrigerator.
- To finely shred kale, stack 3-4 kale leaves and fold along rib. Chop kale perpendicular to rib from top to bottom, creating thin ribbons of kale. Chop ribbons in half. Repeat with remaining kale leaves. (Alternatively, finely chop/shred kale as is comfortable for you.)
- Place chopped kale in a large serving bowl.
- Add the fresh squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt to kale.
- Using hands, massage kale to coat it with lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt. This helps to "tenderize" it.
- Add in the chopped red cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped scallions, pumpkin seeds, fresh parsley, freshly ground black pepper, cinnamon and cayenne. Stir to mix with wooden spoon.
- Remove quinoa from refrigerator and toss 1 cup with kale slaw. Chill for 1 hour or more to allow flavors to blend.
- When ready to serve, add in the blueberries. Add additional sea salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 8-10 as a side dish. Best enjoyed with others!
Find the original recipe at The Daily Dietribe. www.thedailydietribe.com