IN BRIEF: 2017 Lunar New Year Celebration,
Tue., Jan. 31st
The JHPDA invites you to join us for a celebration of the lunar new year 2017. Food and beverages will be provided.
All postdocs plus one adult guest and children are welcome! (IDs will be checked)
When: Tuesday, Jan 31, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Daily Grind, 3rd floor Miller Research Building
Questions? contact email@example.com
JHU closely monitoring immigration actions
The university is closely monitoring the immigration actions taken by President Trump, including an order that blocks entry into the United States (with very narrow exceptions) of individuals from seven nations – Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen- for 90 days.
Johns Hopkins University is unequivocally committed to supporting students, faculty, and staff affected by the executive order. In the coming days, OIS will hold information sessions for affected or concerned students, faculty, researchers, and staff. There will be sessions in East Baltimore, Harbor East, Homewood, the Peabody Institute, and Washington, D.C. Hours and locations will be posted on the OIS website. You may also reach the OIS staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information or questions.
Please read the full message from President Daniels and Provost Kumar here:
Upcoming JHPDA Events
SOM Diversity Council Town Hall, Mon., Jan. 30
The Diversity Council Working Group is a group of trainees from diverse trainee groups, that has been working with SOM senior leadership to put together a SOM diversity council. This council would channel trainee feedback to administrators and partner with them to improve diversity and inclusion efforts at the school. The council would address issues like the recruitment and retention of students of color, promoting an environment of inclusion at the SOM, and improving training and curriculum efforts around diversity and health disparities.
Two town halls will be held today to solicit feedback from the Hopkins community on the development of a diversity council for trainees in the School of Medicine.
When:Monday Jan 30th
Where: from 12-1pm (in AMEB 402) and 6-8pm (in MRB G-07)
If you cannot attend the meetings but would like to contribute your feedback, you may do so at the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/sjNUKWzq2g9FN50x2.
Leadership Lab: Conflict Management, Tue., Jan 31st
Professional Development and Career Office (PDCO) will host a Conflict Management Workshop in partnership with the Graduate Student Association (GSA) and the Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association (JHPDA). This interactive workshop will help participants develop strategies for engaging in difficult conversations. Participants will learn about the roots of conflict, better understand their own conflict style, and will engage in several role-playing scenarios to better equip them to manage conflict in their professional lives.
When: Tue, January 31, 2017, 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Where: Rm. 2-108, 1830 E. Monument Street Bldg.,1830 E. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD
Register here : https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leadership-lab-conflict-management-tickets-30246431892
Career Success Story talk: Moving from academia to private sector by Dr. Monica Lopez- Gonzalez,
Wed., Feb 8th
Tax Info session, Thu.,Feb. 9th
Please join the The Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral & Graduate Student Associations for a Tax info session.
Just in time for tax season, a Certified Public Accountant will provide basic information and will answer your specific questions about filing taxes as a student or trainee.
When: Tue Feb 9th 4:00-5:00pm
Where: Greenhouse Cafe, 1st floor Preclinical Teaching Building
Light refreshments will be provided.
Research Presentation club
Hone your presentation skills with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club!
Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice. Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Get valuable tips from an expert in the field on presentation skills!
Don’t have enough data yet? Practice your presentation skills on any area of research of your choice
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Sign up here for the Spring dates!
Questions? Contact Anup Sharma or Madhu Roy
Professional Development Opportunities
The office of postdoctoral affairs:
2017 Mentor-Mentee Awards: Call for applications. Deadline: January 31st.
The Postdoctoral Fellow Mentee-Mentor Awards recognize Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Postdoctoral Fellows and their Mentors for outstanding contributions to science, and exemplifying an exceptional mentor-mentee relationship. Examples of great mentorship may include, but are not limited to, the following: involvement in research activities, annual review with IDP (or similar mechanism), and support for academic and professional development courses. Click here for more details.
Partnering Toward Discovery Lecture series
Please save the dates for future Partnering Toward Discovery Postdoctoral lecture series events: Feb 2nd 2017 and March 30 2017.
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Apply for a Bio-Trac® Training Programs at MedImmune (details) (posted 10/3)
- Access JHU Membership Benefits to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD) (More Details, Webinar Calendar)
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Summer 2017 Employment Opportunities: Biotechnology or Genetics Instructor and Teaching Assistant (details)(posted 12/12)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Complete a quick NPA survey and help them examine the future work of the NPA, and about the institutions that train postdoctoral fellows (link) (posted 1/23)
- Register to attend a workshop on ‘Leadership in Bioscience’ organized by the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Applications due Jan 31st (details) (posted 1/23)
- Science Careers Job Fair at AAAS in Boston on Feb 17 (details) (posted 1/16)
- Burroughs Welcome Fund has a number of grant opportunities for postdocs (details) (posted 1/16)
- Leader wanted to serve as co-chair of the National Postdoc Association meetings committee (details) (posted 12/19)
- Postdoctoral Fellow – RPE biology and disease at Wilmer Eye Institute, JHU-SOM. If anyone is interested in this position, please contact Noriko Esumi (Assistant Professor at Wilmer Eye Institute, JHU-SOM) by Email (email@example.com) or phone (410-614-6110).(posted 12/12)
- Become an affiliate member of the National Postdoctoral Association for FREE (details) (posted (9/26)
- HHMI launches funding program for early career scientists from underrepresented groups. (details) (posted 9/26)
- Register to join AWIS Live, to learn more about the work of AWIS and its community & how you can get involved (details) (posted 9/19)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the Johns Hopkins PDCO jobs board site for updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines.
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
Visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.