Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
02.16.15 at 6:30 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved 03.16.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:33 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, BM; Alexia Hudson, CHD
Community Members: Ricky Lightfoot
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Julie B
Next Montessori Moment: Susan
- Approval of January 12, 2015 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda with the addition of Business Manager reporting at IX.c. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – January 12, 2015”
- Everyone: continue to enter appeal names and info to database on Google.
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Josh: include a “discipline” disclaimer on Wednesday Club/Special Activities permission forms.
- Josh: generate a follow-up survey/feedback form for all Wednesday Club/Special Activities.
- Anna: give a BOD update to Josh each month to include in the newsletter…ongoing assignment.
- Consent Agenda, not applicable for this meeting.
- BOD President – Julie
- Strategic Planning: Schedule Meeting (Board Retreat)
- In process
- Action Item – Julie and Matt will revisit dates/locations and report back to each board.
- Policy/procedure that limits the number of evenings staff/teachers are required to stay after school.
- Action Item – Josh will create a monthly calendar and have staff sign up for events/meetings.
- Discussion: in the event that staff cannot attend a PTO meeting, they could potentially invite Cari to come to their staff meetings and give a report.
- Add action item for Josh to develop procedure for board members/PTO to lock-up after events.
- Action Item – Josh will present Building Lock-Up Protocols at the March BOD meetings.
- Executive Director – Josh
- Copy of Committee List to PTO
- As per discussion in the Children’s House BOD Meeting on 02.16.15, the following action will be taken:
- Anna will include committee updates/needs via the board report in the weekly/monthly newsletters.
- Tamia will update/modify the current “Board, Committees, and Organization” document.
- Alexia and Susan will upload the updated document to the school’s websites.
- Dissolve enrollment committee
- Anna would like to see a succession plan of how this will work.
- Action Item – Josh will prepare and present an Enrollment succession plan to the board at the next meeting.
- CLC conference in Denver, Feb. 25-27th
- SAC Update: Josh is in the process of putting together a survey to send out to families regarding next year’s needs.
- Anna expressed concern about sending out surveys – make certain we have a clear goal of what we plan to do with the collected information and determine exactly who the survey is coming from.
- Action Item – Josh will discuss protocols for surveys with Tony and others at the CLC conference.
- Business Manager – Susan
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Approval of 2nd qtr financials
- It is the recommendation of the committee to approve the 2nd qtr financials.
- Nate moved to approve the 2nd qtr financials as uploaded to Google and presented by Susan, seconded, all approved. Motion carried.
- Recommend changes to Farm Lunch $5/regular lunch and $2.50/Free/Reduced Lunches.
- Discussion surrounding the financial impacts and alternative possibilities. Several mentioned the desire to keep this free for staff, but to be cautious of our bottom line. After our grant ends, how will we continue to support this program?
- Action Item – Budget and Financial Oversight Committee will look over #s again and see how it fits into the budget.
- Action Item – Josh and Susan will create and send out a note to inform parents that they will be billed for Farm lunches that they choose to eat.
- Recommend Business Manager be authorized to arrange payment plans for collection of Farm Lunch fees similar to other collection plans arranged for After-School programs.
- The BOD supports Susan in this effort.
- Additional Discussion
- Susan mentioned that despite countless efforts on her end, we have a student with an outstanding balance and the parent has made no effort to reconcile this debt. Do we allow them to re-enroll into our program next year if the balance is not paid?
- Action Item – Josh will find out if enrollment can be contingent upon outstanding balances.
- Mission and Vision Committee – Anna
- Provide feedback to committee prior to next meeting, February 25th.
- Curriculum Committee – Anna
- EE donation request, help Julie coordinate for students to be a part of the request.
- Volunteers for design stations at Innovation Night, March 19th.
- Hiring & Evaluation – Anna
- Helping Josh with hiring.
- 360 feedback to Julie for Josh’s evaluation in next week.
- New Business
- CLC Conference – what would the board like us (Julie, Nate, and Tamia) to use as business cards? Shamai suggested having around 20 per person.
- Action Item – Josh will find business cards for the board members.
- Julie summarized the process and outcome of the court case with Ken Geiger. Ken mentioned to those at court (Julie, Josh, Nate, and Tamia) that he has filed with the IRS to recover taxes – we’ll cross this bridge when we get there.
- Action Item – Josh will keep Re1 informed of the situation with Ken Geiger.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- CLC Conference, Denver – February 25-27th
- Attending: Josh, Nate, Julie S., Tamia
- Mission/Vision Committee – February 25th
- Family Innovation Night – March 19th
- Empire Electric Grant Presentation – March 13th
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, March 16, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Board Retreat - TBD
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – Julie
- Staff Inservice Lunches
- Friday, March 27 – Shamai and Anna
- End of year staff meeting May/June TBD –
- Board Retreat (strategic plan) – Spring
- Approval of the 02.09.15 BOD Minutes (Executive Session) – March
- Josh: Building Lock-Up Protocols – March
- Josh: Enrollment succession plan – March
- Josh: protocols for surveys – March
- Executive Session
- At 8:03 pm Anna moved to enter into Executive Session according to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(a) specifically for determining positions and development strategy for negotiations and instructing negotiators. Julie stipulated that the Board, Josh Warinner, Susan Likes, and Ricky Lightfoot be in attendance. Motioned seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Anna moved to exit out of Executive Session at 8:39 pm. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: Anna moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:41 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary