



Notes

Aug 6, 2025

Weekly DAO & Governance Call (#2)

Attachments 📅 Weekly DAO & Governance Call (#2)

Meeting records 📄 Transcript 🎙️ Recording

Summary

Charlie Feng explained that the August voting cycle ended abruptly because the chain's block time changed from two seconds to one second, which wasn't accounted for in the proposals' voting periods. Alex Soto raised concerns about delegate scores being affected by participation in the defeated proposals, and Charlie Feng confirmed the Agora team would adjust the stats to exclude these votes. Ivey SEED Gov inquired about the security of protocol changes, and Charlie Feng clarified that only the Scroll team can modify block time and governance parameters, acknowledging a procedural miss but no external security risk. Jamilya Kamalova encouraged delegates to vote on the four August proposals, while Juan Molina and Mauricio Cruz discussed the Community Council proposal and "split seats." Connor McCormick presented a \$45K investment proposal for the Network Goods Institute, with Pud I Curia Lab questioning the success evaluation criteria. Jamilya Kamalova requested comments on DAO treasury management, and Marlene (bitblondy) provided an update on the Current Contribution Recognition working group. Alex Soto proposed a hybrid organizational structure to prevent information silos, and Ivey SEED Gov announced the start of the delegate accelerator program. Roselyne Munyiri asked for tips on prioritizing proposals, to which Jamilya Kamalova and Alex Soto provided guidance.

Details

- **August Voting Cycle Hiccup** Charlie Feng explained that the abrupt end of several votes was due to the block time shortening from 2 seconds to 1 second per block on the chain level ([00:00:00](#)). This change was not accommodated in the proposals' voting periods, effectively cutting them in half. Hi-Chen Scroll team Eugene quickly amended the adjustments, and new votes are now up with the 1-second block time in mind ([00:01:17](#)).
- **Delegate Score Adjustment** Alex Soto raised a concern about the active delegate score being affected by participation in the previously defeated proposals ([00:02:20](#)). Charlie Feng acknowledged this as a great question and confirmed that the Agora team would adjust the stats to omit the previous set of votes, ensuring it's not counted as a missed participation ([00:03:47](#)).
- **Security of Protocol Changes** Ivey SEED Gov inquired about measures to prevent future occurrences of such events and the security implications. Charlie Feng clarified that the block time and governance parameters can only be changed by the Scroll team (Scroll Labs or Scroll Foundation), meaning there's no outside security risk or vulnerability ([00:04:41](#)). However, Charlie Feng acknowledged a procedural miss and the need for tighter communication and process order for future updates ([00:05:49](#)).
- **August Voting Cycle Proposals** Jamilya Kamalova provided a recap of the four proposals in the August voting cycle, noting that three are standard quorum and one is a supermajority protocol upgrade ([00:08:02](#)). She encouraged delegates to vote on all proposals, even if by abstaining, to help reach quorum ([00:10:23](#)).
- **Community Council Proposal** Juan Molina expressed satisfaction with the delegate community's support for the Community Council proposal after clarifications, highlighting it as a collaborative effort ([00:09:12](#)). Mauricio Cruz encouraged individuals interested in joining the council to propose themselves ([00:11:48](#)). Juan Molina also explained the concept of "split seats," where two individuals with complementary skills, such as community growth and grants experience, can share one decision-making vote ([00:13:00](#)).
- **Network Goods Institute Investment Proposal** Connor McCormick presented a proposal for a \$45K investment from the Scroll DAO into the Network Goods Institute for research on "Carol mechanisms" over the next six months, with a potential \$100K investment following successful initial research ([00:15:47](#)). They highlighted that this is an investment rather than a grant to ensure upside for the

DAO, aiming for the mechanism to become a successful protocol ([00:17:30](#)). Pud I Curia Lab questioned how the success of the initial phase would be evaluated. Connor McCormick detailed criteria based on incentivizing proper scoring, information revelation, intellectual honesty, and epistemic humility, with evaluation by the governance iterations council or the foundation's governance team ([00:20:02](#)).

- **DAO Treasury Management** Jamilya Kamalova discussed the ongoing request for comments on DAO treasury management, inviting delegates to share their vision on aspects such as the number of service providers and preferred strategies ([00:25:36](#)). Ivey SEED Gov commented that a single service provider might be more cost-effective for Scroll's treasury amount, with a potential third-party audit mid-term ([00:26:48](#)). Don Pepe inquired about the treasury's estimated amount and where to find that information, to which Jamilya Kamalova promised to send a link after the call ([00:28:27](#)).
- **Current Contribution Recognition Working Group and Ecosystem Growth Council Updates** Marlene (bitblondy) provided an update on the Current Contribution Recognition working group, stating that a draft is ready and aims to be posted by mid-August for a September voting cycle ([00:29:52](#)). Don Pepe spoke about the Ecosystem Growth Council, mentioning the publication of their charter and ongoing work on drafts for request for proposals focusing on specific verticals ([00:31:09](#)).
- **Organizational Structure and Information Flow** Alex Soto presented ideas on creating connections between various councils and working groups, suggesting a general circle to ensure synergy and prevent information silos ([00:32:26](#)). They proposed using a hybrid of sociocracy and holacracy, emphasizing information flux over decision-making, potentially involving two people connecting circles—one selected top-down and one bottom-up ([00:37:08](#)). Mina IHaveNoIdea supported the model for preventing information asymmetry but raised concerns about potential power manipulation ([00:41:18](#)). Alex Soto responded by mentioning governance roles focused on coordination and facilitation that rotate to balance power dynamics ([00:42:30](#)).
- **Delegate Accelerator Program** Ivey SEED Gov announced that the delegate accelerator program has kicked off with 29 participants, and week one's curriculum is being prepared ([00:45:24](#)). The program's content, including live session recordings, will be open-source after the seven-week duration, allowing broader community access and continued learning ([00:46:31](#)).

- **Prioritizing Proposals** Roselyne Munyiri asked for tips on prioritizing proposals as a new delegate ([00:51:51](#)). Jamilya Kamalova explained that the governance team presents all endorsed proposals equally, and delegates decide which ones to support, often spending more time on divisive topics, large budgets, or those aligning with DAO values ([00:53:09](#)). Alex Soto shared their personal approach, which includes staying updated, valuing comments from specific delegates, and quickly reading to identify difficult spots for deeper review ([00:55:23](#)).

Suggested next steps

- ☐ Charlie Feng will ensure the team omits the previous set of votes from the active delegate score and log down the necessary front-end adjustments.
- ☐ Charlie Feng will put their Telegram handle in the chat for further questions and discussions.
- ☐ Jamilya Kamalova will send the link to the treasury information after the call.
- ☐ Alex Soto will consider coordinating with others to have a separate call and potentially communicate through Telegram.

You should review Gemini's notes to make sure they're accurate. [Get tips and learn how Gemini takes notes](#)

Please provide feedback about using Gemini to take notes in a [short survey](#).



Transcript

Aug 6, 2025

Weekly DAO & Governance Call (#2) - Transcript

00:00:00

Jamilya Kamalova: Hello everyone. Today is 6th of August C and it should be around 100 p.m. EDT. Uh this is the second Gardens call of the day and we have a couple of things on our agenda and I suggest we start with August voting cycle and today we have of course Charlie join our call. Charlie, if you are on a call, could you maybe unmute yourself? That would be super cool.

Charlie Feng: Yeah. Hey everyone. Excited to be here.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much. I think uh yeah, so long story short, we had a hiccup. Now the voting is resumed. So feel free to cast your vote if you haven't already. But um Charlie, maybe you could give like a recap of what happened and possibly answer some of the questions that delegates might have.

Charlie Feng: Yeah, for sure. For sure. Um, so as you probably many have noticed, um, the we had a a number of votes that kind of came to a close abruptly or sooner than expected and it's due to at the the fundamental reason is due to the uh block time um shortening from 2 seconds a block to 1 second a block.

00:01:17

Charlie Feng: Um, so that's kind of the the change I guess on the on the chain level and we had a miscommunication kind of internally of like uh I guess we did not change that. We did not adjust the proposals uh voting periods to to accommodate for that. Um so that's what happened. Um so basically you could think about it as all the proposals basically got cut in half. So instead of being you know seven days for the voting period became kind of three days. So it ended up ended after being uh August 3rd instead of you know the the seven days it was supposed to be for um the uh Hi-Chen scroll team Eugene has kind of uh in the last 24 hours really quickly kind of got everyone together and kind of amended the um the the um all the adjustments that needed to be made. So now you'll see that um the the the new vote that it's up um it's with the new block time in

mind which is 1 second a block and um I believe I don't want to put uh speak is Eugene here.

00:02:20

Charlie Feng: I don't want to speak out of turn, but um I believe the the um assumption here is that this is this set of proposals for the current time amount is only for these proposals and then it'll adjust back they'll do another um governance parameter change. Um and just as a reminder, governance parameter changes can only be done by the scroll admin team. So they'll make another governance parameter change and that'll update um uh the voting delay as well as well as the voting period uh for the next set of votes.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you, Charlie, for providing an update. And does anyone have any questions to Agora team? If you do, now it's perfect time to to ask Charlie in person. Yes, Alex, go ahead.

Alex Soto: Yes, thank you. Uh, I have a question. At least in my UI, uh, I see that the four proposals got repeated. So there are like four that appear as defeated and now like new active ones. uh from a delegate perspective uh in the moment that I'm trying to have a good participation in Nagora uh I'm a little bit concerned that now the active delegate score um measure it as not having been participated in the four defeated ones.

00:03:47

Alex Soto: So I don't know if you will update that so the score is not

Charlie Feng: Oh, that that is a great question, Alex. I had not even thought about that. So, I apologize for that. But that is a great question. Let me write that down. Um, we'll make sure that the active uh like the way the stats gets counted omits the previous set of votes. So, um we'll make sure our team does that. So, yeah.

Alex Soto: Thank you.

Charlie Feng: So, there's two basically sets of changes that need to be made. one is on the governor side or the contract side. So that's done by the scroll team and then we will make the adjustments on the front end. So I will log that down. Thanks, Alex.

Jamilya Kamalova: And yes, for anything that is relating to like let's say current contribution retro potentially uh we'll obviously take that into consideration. So that's not going to be counted as a miss or anything like that. Ali

00:04:41

Ivey SEED Gov: Uh hey Charlie just quick question uh has this like uh event like kicked off some sort of protocol like can't think relief this this is major security concern um but just thinking on your side guys is uh is anything set in place to avoid this to happen again and and what's your take on the event from a security perspective as

Charlie Feng: Um it's a it's a good question. I think one of the things that um we're trying to have a um a I think this is more of a foundation with labs kind of communication is to make sure that so basically what happened here right is that the block time got shortened on the scroll protocol perspective and then um we the govern the governor contracts did not get adjusted accordingly for that. Um, from a security pro from a security perspective, um, there's no outside security risk of any sort because all the players that are that are able to tune or change any of these governance parameters or even the voting uh, block time is all scroll team.

00:05:49

Charlie Feng: So like for example, Agora cannot change the block time or can AOR change the governance parameters. Um both are uh set and changed by the governance sorry by the by scroll either labs or scroll foundation. Um so from a kind of like a pure security perspective we feel pretty good about this but I think this is obviously uh like a from a protocol perspective as you said sorry a procedure maybe perspective as maybe you're alluding to like a miss right so I think um need to have tighter kind of like communications and kind of like how we do our order or how the order of process gets done um for these future updates. Uh so yeah, been working with um Hi Chen Eugene on kind of like making sure we get that in order. Um so hopefully that answers your question, but happy to kind of dig in or elaborate more.

Ivey SEED Gov: No, it does. Thank you.

Charlie Feng: So yeah, so short short answer is good news is that like there's no outside risk or vulnerability because anyone who wants to be able to change either the parameters or change the block time has to be from the scroll team.

00:06:54

Charlie Feng: Um so it cannot be agora cannot be an outside party and even for this event none of that was uh any kind of outside party. Um but yes from a kind of like a procedure perspective I think we lots of things to be learned here.

Ivey SEED Gov: It's amazing.

Jamilya Kamalova: Great. Thank you so much, Charlie. Do you have any other questions? Uh Charlie's traveling from what I understand. So uh he might hop off uh from the call. So um now it's a good time whilst we're covering the ongoing proposals uh to ask any of the questions relating to the situation we had this voting site or just like in general.

Charlie Feng: Cool.

Jamilya Kamalova: Okay then.

Charlie Feng: Um, yeah.

Jamilya Kamalova: Yep.

Charlie Feng: No, thank No, I was say thank thanks Jamaa for uh making the space for this. And I'll put my telegram down in the in the chat. So, if anyone has questions or just want to me to elaborate or kind of chitchat, I'm always available. So, uh I I'll put that down.

00:08:02

Charlie Feng: Happy to chat

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much. That is great. That will be super helpful. And thank you everyone who noticed that flagged this for us and thank you so much for not being indifferent and uh raising those things and issues that helps us to also identify the problems and come up with solutions as soon as possible. So from some of the proposals that we have we have four in total this August voting cycle. Three of them standard quorum and then the protocol upgrade is the supermajority one. Um so again I'm just going to give a quick uh recap of all of the proposals and things that we've done based on the previous conversations. Peter from engineering team came a couple of weeks back to DA calls and he provided an overview and answered some of the questions regarding this proposal. He also answered some of the questions on the forum. So if you're curious if you want to check u please do so. It's available in the forum and all the conversation links and recordings are on our forum as well in the usual call links thread.

00:09:12

Jamilya Kamalova: Um let me know if you are for example authoring one of the proposals that we'll be covering and want to provide a little bit more context and input. I'm just going to stop and allow also any of the questions or concerns or anything else. I think with the protocol upgrades pretty clear. Um let's see community council. Um Juan, if you're on the call, not to put you on the spot, but maybe you could uh provide a bit more of like an overview if you have anything to say about this proposal in particular.

Juan Molina: Well, um, can you hear me well?

Jamilya Kamalova: Yep.

Juan Molina: Yeah. So, generally speaking, not much to add. Um, happy to see that there's comfort within the delegate community uh, in endorsing and supporting this proposal after, you know, multiple clarification. I think uh this proposal itself was a great example of joint collaboration between us and delegates um in molding the ideal spot for this proposal to go out for voting. So they're all just very happy to see it up for a vote.

00:10:23

Juan Molina: Um I've been chatting further with local NOA applicants and community members and they're all very excited to see this coming to life. So yeah, nothing to add on high

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much Juan. Um I also shared the link to the proposal itself on the core. So uh if you haven't voted yet, please do so. And I'm going to repeat it uh as we usually do every cycle. Uh sometimes we observe this trend where people would just go and vote for some of the proposals but not on all. And uh we encourage you to vote regardless. I mean if you're not sure, you can always vote abstain. uh but it helps us to hit the quorum and uh yeah so if there are four proposals going on please consider voting on all of them and yeah do we have any questions to Juan since he's on call anything related to community council or perhaps local nodes in particular Yes, Maria. Go follow ahead.

Mauricio Cruz: Thank you. Quick question uh for the community council proposal.

00:11:48

Mauricio Cruz: Well, I see that uh there's already the link for people to start proposing themselves as part of the council. Uh I I I see the I saw the dates and I saw everything. So, so, uh, just anyone that really would like to be there, just propo propose themselves, uh, fill up the information. I think that that would be nice to have a lot of, uh, proposals as soon as possible to to get that council up and running. Thank

Juan Molina: Yep. So, I intentionally put the link uh because it was one of the concerns what was going to be the criteria for application and the link sort of I guess the application form sort of gives you an idea of the profile person that we're looking for. Um, even then the official timeline says that applications open until the 10th, right? Which is officially when the proposal should be approved. So if you want to submit your application, welcome to do so, but we're still tied to the fact if the proposal gets approved or not, right?

00:13:00

Juan Molina: Something that I would encourage that was done in the EGC is the split seats. something that I really liked. I discussed further with Eugene. Um, so I highly encourage you guys to apply with a split single.

Mauricio Cruz: Excellent.

Connor McCormick: Um, what are split seats?

Jamilya Kamalova: Split seats is when uh for example, let's say governance team shares a seat. So it's me and Eugene. So we get to have one vote um two of us as opposed to someone just individually taking one seat and having one vote.

Connor McCormick: and Juan, how can we best help with the community council once it goes live?

Juan Molina: Yeah. So, um, okay. And then to to to just clarify further on the split seats as well as how I see it applying for, for example, the community council, we're looking for two sorts of major profiles uh in the community council. one is community growth and the second one is someone with grants experience. Um there might be someone out there who has both but most likely not the same person.

00:14:16

Juan Molina: So that's where like a split seat comes in very clutch where two people with these two attitudes could share one decision making both. Um that's essentially I guess how it happened in the DC where someone with like very good DeFi experience uh and someone with some more grand experience decided to you know split their seed and thought they would do a better job in doing so that way. How do you help with the community council? So everything that we do as usual is going to come up for feedback in the forum. Um, and the first few things that we're going to put out are updates to the local framework and the initial criteria for the grants program. So, definitely giving your input in those would be uh very helpful.

Connor McCormick: Thank you.

Jamilya Kamalova: Great. Okay. Any remaining questions on community council local notes? Anything you want to ask on Thank you so

Juan Molina: Thank you everyone. Appreciate your support on this.

Jamilya Kamalova: much Juan for joining us and answering some of the questions.

00:15:47

Jamilya Kamalova: Okay. Uh Connor, do you want to provide a little bit more context on your proposal?

Connor McCormick: Sure. Um, let me real quick check the attendees of the call. Um, and see if I see anyone in particular who seems like I haven't gotten given context to yet. Maybe I can kind of calibrate my uh context that I offer. Um so this is a proposal for an an investment um from the scroll DAO into the organization the network goods institute um for the funding to perform research on a class of mechanisms called Carol mechanisms which can be used for governance and um Carol mechanisms are exciting uh for many reasons which you can see detailed in the post but one of the reasons is that they give us a credibly neutral way to reward delegates for their participation and contribution to Dows and um so the work that we're proposing will take place over the subsequent um six months and then year we're asking for a 45K investment um that is for research over the next six months and then a 100k investment uh as a result of that first 45k investment going well.

00:17:30

Connor McCormick: Um the researcher that we get to work with is Dr. Philip Brown. He's a really uh impressive researcher both in game theory and network design. And um he's one of the um people most knowledgeable about this class of mechanisms. Um and so the opportunity here with this investment, the reason that we're pursuing this as a investment rather than a grant is because we think in web 3 too frequently there's not enough upside for um uh the DAO as a result of uh the grants that they deploy. And we want one day to for this to be a very successful protocol. Um we think that this can be on the order of something like a poly market or a um metadow or a um uh not in terms of and or a pumpf fun uh pumpf fun not in terms of its um uh maybe its ethics but in terms of its scale um and in order to get there this research is the the preliminary step um and much of this research is already ongoing. So this is like this is research that we're doing in order to save ourselves a whole bunch of implementation work uh that will come as a result of uh successful research being performed.

00:18:49

Connor McCormick: And so um we want to go deep with scroll DAO in integrating this with the the ecosystem. And um we've received quite a bit of uh excitement from people in the community because they recognize that uh the way that governance is currently done in Dows is not the thing that's going to get us to the thing that we've we've been pursuing for so many years in the crypto space. And so they're um they're really inspired by this approach. Um and uh many people say the sentence, "Wow, finally governance innovation." um which is a very kind thing for them to say. So um that's kind of a brief summary of what the proposal is and um I've been so grateful for the support that's been offered by the community so far um for all the endorsements that we've received and for all of your kind messages and um if anyone has any questions about the particulars of the proposal um I'm happy to answer them here. Um, and also I'm happy to share some recordings from previous uh uh we did a proposal bonanza on this last week I think.

00:20:02

Connor McCormick: Um, and uh we've also talked about this in depth in the forum. So

I'm happy to answer any questions you have here and share those resources if that would be helpful.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you, Connor.

Connor McCormick: Thank you.

Jamilya Kamalova: And yes, for during our first hour call today, we decided to also host additional proposal finan tomorrow. So if you're curious, if you're interested, if you haven't done or if you have or the reason to join tomorrow, should be around 3 p.m. European time, but you can check governance calendar and join. And we will be um focusing on the security and subsidy uh audit proposal.

Connor McCormick: That's right.

Jamilya Kamalova: So put what?

Pud I Curia Lab: Um how will the success of the initial initial uh liert phase be evaluate before processing to the next phase of investment?

Connor McCormick: Yeah, this is a good question. Um, this so the criteria that we're evaluating as to whether or not the investment is um whether or not the research was successful is detailed in the forum. But high level what we're looking for are some very specific properties about um the ways the kinds of incentives that these mechanisms produce.

00:21:25

Connor McCormick: And so the sorts of incentives that we want them to produce is we want them to uh incentivize what's what's called um proper scoring so people are honest about their preferences. Um uh we want it to uh create bounties for information revelation. Um and we wanted to create incentives for intellectual honesty and epistemic humility. So what this means is basically um people working very hard to be known as uh trustworthy actors essentially um people who are capable of changing their mind. So those are that's kind of like a broadstroke summary of the three criteria that we'll be evaluated on and then um uh that will that will be evaluated on by either uh the governance iterations council um so if that council exists by the time we reach the um the evaluation stage which um is broadly it's the intention of the foundation to put that proposal forward um uh and for us to vote on it within the time period that we'll be doing this research. Um then that's the council that will evaluate our efforts. Um if that council um isn't in existence by then or for whatever reason it doesn't get uh approved then um we will instead be uh evaluated by the foundation itself uh the governance team.

00:23:00

Connor McCormick: It's a good question. Thank you Pud. Any other questions? Can I show you where I'm taking this call from?

Ivey SEED Gov: I was about to ask Connor actually. So, thank you.

Jamilya Kamalova: the Grand Canyon.

Connor McCormick: It's uh it's Oh, does this say have a filter on? I'm not supposed to have a filter. Um it's here. This is uh this is it's a cave.

Jamilya Kamalova: The cave How how do you have connection?

Connor McCormick: Yeah.

Jamilya Kamalova: There is the real question.

Connor McCormick: I don't know.

Jamilya Kamalova: Oh my god, that is so beautiful. Thank you so much, Connor. Um, thank you for joining our Dow calls even when you connect nature means a lot to us.

Connor McCormick: I love you all.

Jamilya Kamalova: We love you too, Connor. Thank you. Let's move on with our agenda because we have several other proposals and we want to make sure we cover them all. If you do have any questions, you know how to reach Connor.

00:24:15

Jamilya Kamalova: Um, just tag him in the delicate chat or on the forum. Uh, I'm sure Connor would be happy to answer any remaining questions and provide more context. Okay, let's see. Um, security subsidy program. As I've mentioned, we're going to be running proposal bonanza tomorrow on this particular proposal. Um, I'm not sure somebody is on the call. If anyone wants to give a bit more context on that, who is being called for this proposal or working on it, feel free to raise your hand. Happy to give you floor about that. Whilst I'm fetching the link for the proposal on a corora sum and Hugo was were answering some of the questions in our previous Dow calls as well as on the forum. Um if we don't have anything that we want to stop on this proposal then I propose we move forward. Okay. So I think we've covered all four. Uh again let me know or raise a handy if if you think I'm missing something. So we shared previously request for comments dial treasury management of peace.

00:25:36

Jamilya Kamalova: Um so this comes from long conversations we had on how do we approach D treasury management uh what kind of service providers we want to see all of those conversations we had throughout months now and uh recently we posted this request for comments and uh we basically want to hear from you what your vision for the dial treasury management is whether you for example think that there should be one service provider or there should be several service providers uh is there any strategy, is there any recommendations to work or not to work with certain service providers? And thank you everyone who've already contributed to the conversation and highlighted and suggested some of the things. Um we really appreciate that. Uh and if you haven't already, if this is the first time you're hearing about it, this is an invitation for you to check the forum. uh share your thoughts because it is important for us uh how you see that and considering that most of you are delegates across different ecosystems um you just bring invaluable experience that would help to come up with the most optimal management strategy.

00:26:48

Jamilya Kamalova: Let me stop here for a second if you have any comments or would like to provide any input and I'm going to send the link to the forum discussion in a moment. anything even considering whether you think there should be certain criteria selection for service providers. Uh anything particular? Ivy, go ahead.

Ivey SEED Gov: Yeah, regarding the question of having multiple or a single one, we were thinking of having a single one as per our research and some consulting we did um like the treasury amount of of scroll um might not be worthy to pay several providers to do the same thing. um which of course you know it has cost because it's an only party but we were thinking that maybe we can have an audit you know in the middle of their term just having some um third party opinion on how the strategy is evolving overall. So that's kind of the comment we did um on the post as well as process-wise um we are comfortable for example with foundation um pre-selecting one of the applicants all of the applicants in the list are pretty renowned firms uh in the ecosystem so I guess um they meet they'll meet the criteria right so if foundation decides okay we want to go with these three and then the DA votes like we we'd be comfortable with that

00:28:27

Ivey SEED Gov: as well um so those are kind of the comments we dropped in the forum.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much, Ivy. Yes, D. Go ahead.

Don Pepe: Hey, Jama. Yeah, I had a quick question. Um, do you have a rough estimate on how much do we have on the treasury or where we can find that information?

Jamilya Kamalova: Yes. Uh I'll send you link once the uh once we finish with the call. I can't finish it right now and I don't want to lie on the recorded call on the exact number so you don't quote me but yeah yeah we we'll do so it's um it's good to

Don Pepe: Yeah, that's fine. No worries. All right.

Jamilya Kamalova: okay I'm just adding things to the post Perfect. Um, okay. Let's move on. Um, quick updates on current contribution recognition working group and existing growth council. If anyone are part of either and want to provide a quick update, just raise your hand. Happy to give you the floor.

00:29:52

Jamilya Kamalova: Um very quickly you can find the updates both of the groups uh in the forum. Merlin go ahead. Do you want to speak on the working group? You're muted Marlin if you're speaking.

Marlene (bitblondy): Wrong button. You hear me now?

Jamilya Kamalova: Yep.

Marlene (bitblondy): Great. Yeah, I'm part of the GCR and uh it's going very good so far. I'd say we are have a draft ready and we aim to post it by mid August. So then uh we would aim for the voting cycle in September. And yeah, still figuring out the last uh criteria and how we would get the data. So yeah, we are very much looking forward to your feedback.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much Marlene and thank you for keeping up the thread with updates uh that you provide every week. Similarly with a consistent growth council if anyone on the call wants to provide more context feel free to do so.

Don Pepe: Yeah, I guess I can speak partly about the ecosystem grow council.

Jamilya Kamalova: We

00:31:09

Don Pepe: Uh yeah, so we published the charter um last week on the forum. Um we've been meeting uh once a week. Uh we are working right now with the drafts for the basically request for proposals. We we have in mind some verticals that we want to focus on. And yeah, we also been publishing a weekly update. So yeah, if any of you guys have any feedbacks, we are welcome to hear them.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much. I've shared the link to the forum for the charter and yes, thank you man for providing all the updates on the forum. Feel free to also take a look, ask any questions in the thread for visibility or in the delegate chat. Uh thank you guys for your continuous work. Very excited to see what comes out of that both working group and the council. Right. If we don't have any immediate questions, concerns or pause. Okay. Yes, this is the chatter as you mentioned. Okay. Cool.

00:32:26

Jamilya Kamalova: I think we're actually lucky to have Alex on this call. Um so if you are Alex on this call and want to provide uh a little bit of your vision and the context on what you've shared on the forum both CCC3 it would be great if you could do that now because I feel like it outlines great idea and uh would be interested to hear more from you.

Alex Soto: Sure. Happy to. Um, okay. So, I think the main point that I was trying to make with the post is that I think sometimes we create councils and we create roles, but they exist like in these boys where they are not necessarily connected with each other. And um sometimes at least in my case having a visual or chart can help to understand like okay if I want to connect with this team this is the person I should contact this is the role he or she is taking maybe next year when the council rotates then the role goes to a different person. So having a clear sense of which are the hats that we are putting each other and how do they relate and how do they inh communicate I think is useful in general sense.

00:34:06

Alex Soto: Um I have been exploring different ways of representing this visually. Uh the one that is in the screen is more similar to a sociocracy circle. Uh olocracy for example

uses a a opposite uh visualization of like circles within circles. Um what I like about this specific model is that um it makes clear that there are people we are which are in both circles at the same time. Um and basically part of my proposal is to understand that there needs to be a general circle which is basically connecting at least the top councils or working teams into a um yeah like peer-to-peer power dynamic relationship. Um and that also helps with the hierarchical importance of the different councils. So maybe for example as I understand the community council would be over over checking the local nodes. So by having the community council informing the local nodes we already have that input. Uh so I think that's my general intention. I don't know if there are any question or specific points happy to

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much for sharing that.

00:35:47

Jamilya Kamalova: Um, from what I'm hearing and I'm sorry that I didn't have time to like go into the idea in depth. I really want to take time to read more and thank you for linking all of the resources. Um it feels like you are talking about like creating those connections between those let's say bodies that we have have EGC now we have uh DCR working group it will hopefully we'll have community council pass and maybe other uh councils or working groups emerge. So the aim is to make sure that there's somehow overlapping and there's like kind of a thread that connects them all. Do I understand it correctly? So there's kind of some sort of synergy going on.

Alex Soto: Yeah. So I mean I don't want to go too technical uh because I also understand that we might not want to implement let's say soci power like the decision making model which is basing consent but in general terms what usually happens like in order to avoid uh information trafficking and like uh I don't know how to say it in Spanish we say telephone compest like when the information gets like uh distorted through the different people.

00:37:08

Alex Soto: Um socray proposes to have two people that are connecting both circles or or councils. Uh one usually is selected by the like top down and one is selected bottom up by nomination. And by having two people always leading a council, uh, you have a better representation of both the top down and the bottom up. Um so I think the case

that I'm trying to make is that this is less about decision making and it's more about information flux is like I I could imagine like once a month or something there is a

Jamilya Kamalova: Mhm. God.

Alex Soto: general circle gathering with two people of each council. One again is the lead and one is someone who is representing the group. And then uh the objective of that general circle is to basically uh confirm that each council is understanding their domain and that everything is being like distributed to where it belongs. And if there is a discussion then they they find an agreement.

Jamilya Kamalova: Right.

Alex Soto: So yeah that's basically it.

Jamilya Kamalova: That sounds very interesting.

00:38:40

Jamilya Kamalova: Yeah, as you said like general circle have like once a month or uh whatever meetups to make sure that everybody have like information and kind of even strategy wise they're synced and aligned and if accountability council for instance if we have one needs I don't know data from treasury whatn not they will be able to sync that to make sure that there's no information symmetry that is so interesting

Alex Soto: Yeah. Just one more comment on that. Um because I also find very interesting that Eugene make made a comment about soocracy having some limits. Uh which I agree in some points. uh I am also making this a hybrid between socy and deocracy which is which has more rolebased mindsets. I think it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have a s synchronous meeting uh every month. This could be also a a sync. Uh this could be also connected by like direct messages in a forum or in the discord or whatever. Um I even signal a different approach which is called squad which was famously used by Spotify.

00:39:59

Alex Soto: And um basically the idea is that you can also have like a circle um made out of a specific roles. So for example, if you have an accountability role in each council, then all the accountability leads have like an internal um circle or or channel of communication. So the idea is to prevent silos of information and to avoid um duplicity of efforts basically and to be sure of who has the authority of each uh initiative or

projects.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much. That sounds very interesting. Um, it feels like Yeah, if if you have any follow-up thoughts or, you know, things that you've mentioned, feel free to just like link all of that in the same thread. Um, do we have any questions to Alex at this point? I mean, it sounds like I have a lot of questions, but I also don't want to take time and I want to go in depth first to make sure like um I don't replicate questions. Mina, go ahead. You have your hand raised.

Mina IHaveNoldea: Hi. Uh, yes.

00:41:18

Mina IHaveNoldea: So, first of all, I want to say that I really like this model and I think that given the direction the DAO is going, I think it's probably the healthiest, most stable way to go given that the biggest problem in coordination is usually information symmetry. But I don't know this is a question that probably needs to be discussed in a broader context. But trying to think five steps forward, I would also assume that these points of information facilitation would also have a lot of power because at the end of the day in this kind of context, information is power which might beg the question, should we facilitate a mechanism that prevents for example corruption of power in these kind of points because the the initial decentralized systems or the initial conversation about decentralized systems like we need to create the system so is the distribution of power, nobody really has access to it. In practice, that's not true. But in the system trying to take it a bit further, how what kind of systems could we design to prevent such like power power manipulation in these specific interest power positions?

00:42:30

Alex Soto: I mean I happy to jump. I also know that you mentioned this might be a open conversation also just to signal that uh coffee crusher also kind of suggested that we might have like a a different call to maybe co-design or or reflect on this. I'm happy to to leave that. But just to to react to to Mina's comment um for example in in both sociocy and deocracy they have this concept of governance roles which are not operational focus and they are usually coordination facilitation and secret um secretary. So basically and those roles are rotating and they are also kind of nominating base in the console. So my personal experience is that by having someone moderating the the

meeting or or the working team different than the leave. Um and by creating like a collective agenda of points and agreements, you can um balance a little bit the power dynamic at least more than in other models. Check.

Mina IHaveNoldea: Thank you for the answer. I think in moving forward it'd be very interesting to even attempt with this kind of of designs to have a bit of a testing uh longitudinal testing maybe even consider designing in parallel different uh approaches to these kind of mechanism and see how they work with a caveat that of course they would be from an experimental point of view and not going full on on them.

00:44:20

Mina IHaveNoldea: But yeah, I the answer I I really like the answer. just like I keep like coming with more questions the more I get answers. But yeah, thank you. So, so far it's it's very satisfactory for an answer.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you so much. And um it's just great to see you guys come up with ideas and then like just say, "Oh, let's just set up a separate call and discuss it further." I love when this happens. I love when people selforganize and just one idea is being picked up and it's just beautiful. Thank you. Um and absolutely unfortunately we do have 10 minutes left so we have to go over some of the remaining things on our agenda but uh please do so and would be happy to be part of those conversations if you allow me. U but yeah that sounds super interesting. So I'm excited to learn more. Thank you Alex for for an overview and presentation. Okay. So, we do have uh some updates on the delegate training.

00:45:24

Jamilya Kamalova: Um very happy to announce that we kicked it off. And before I jump in, um does anyone want to maybe give updates, Ivy, you've been working very hard on uh curriculum development and coordination. So, I feel like um you should be the person announcing the updates.

Ivey SEED Gov: Yeah, so good.

Jamilya Kamalova: This goat.

Ivey SEED Gov: Yeah, actually and so good to hear Alex and false just talking governance because the accelerator has a lot of that. Asia said we kicked off last Monday all of 29 participants joined which is amazing considering you know the

availabilities, time zones and everything. So we are super happy. Um, we also had a a bridgman session before which was fun and we got to know each other a bit and and we are getting everything ready for week one which is kicking off this Monday actually. So getting all all of the curriculum in place uh and that's kind of the overall update. We also actually the stable lab team dropped an updated forum addressing some of the questions you guys had.

00:46:31

Ivey SEED Gov: Um remember singles about the participants and some things you are going to be able to expect from the course going on and also a reminder that all of the course is going to be open source also so we can just talk about um uh all of the content once the program ends and yeah that's basically where we are at and happy to answer any questions you guys might have or comments. I see some participants here. Um, Alex, but I don't know. Carmen, if you want to share something on on those first class or don't. Yeah, that that's pretty much it, guys.

Jamilya Kamalova: Thank you, Ivy. Yes, feel free to ask any questions uh in regards to the program process any updates and from my side I can see I can say that um yeah uh can I know and other curriculum developers uh are working very very hard and it was great to have the kickoff um and yeah we're only getting started as I mentioned the everything will be open source.

00:47:48

Jamilya Kamalova: Although we will share that we've brought a community outside of that selected group like just right after the program concludes and we were discussing that that it's just like operationally easier for our curriculum dev to assess the assessments um check uh people's presence on the calls and just uh from admin point of view it felt um a bit easier to keep it to this group for the duration of seven weeks and then everything will be open source uh including all of the live session recordings. So uh yeah will be absolutely open source and anyone who is interested will be able to learn or people who have participated in that selected group if they want to at any point go back and you know just check uh all the beautiful elements and details of governance in general. Cool. Do I have any questions to Ivy or to this propos not proposal this uh program? Okay, cool. Um do we have any any questions uh or any open issues,

concerns? um feedback. We have five minutes left.

00:49:14

Jamilya Kamalova: Uh I'm gonna repeat and send the link to the chat. Uh if you join a bit later. Um you're missing Eugene Dump. Okay. I'm trying here so hard. Selecting the music, trying to entertain you. He will be back. I promise you he will be back. I I I understand. I miss him, too. Uh no, he's traveling. he'll be back. Uh he just couldn't make it to this call because of the flight. Um yeah, I I sent the link to the proposals and uh please consider casting a vote. Uh it runs uh if it doesn't run smoothly, let us know. But it should be running smoothly and it will be open until 10th of August. Please do check your local time zone because if I'm telling you when it ends, it will reflect my time zone, not yours. So um yeah, you always know where to find us. Um we have proposal bonanza as we mentioned tomorrow as well as I think it's like every week on the go founder feel free to check.

00:50:20

Jamilya Kamalova: Um and yeah I mean I think one last thing is that we're doing podcast with Eugene. So, if you miss his voice, uh I I suggest you check some of the most recent episodes and we are dropping tomorrow an episode with Talis or Tennyson. Uh it should be fun. But yeah, meanwhile, uh feel free to just tag us in the chats or personally or on the forum. We're always there to help. And uh thank you so much for um for for yeah for signaling um thank you for everything that you're doing guys. I'll hang here for the next four minutes. So if you want to chat feel free to stay but also feel free to drop off. Um not trying to keep you longer than necessary. Thank you guys. Thank you for presenting. Thank you for answering the questions, Rosaline. Yes.

Roselyne Munyiri: Hi Jamila. Hi everyone. So uh my name is Roslin. I am part of the delegate accelerator program and also the event and communications lead for the Kenya scroll node.

00:51:51

Roselyne Munyiri: Uh it for the past few months it's been really nice interacting with you

guys and seeing the reasoning behind um the decisions uh the foundation. So I I think I I just have a question regarding you just a tip cuz you know now you all have hung behind you know u around how you maybe prioritize proposals cuz it it can get very overwhelming um and I'm trying to keep up as much as possible but I'm also trying you know to have that kind of balance so that you know I can also be more productive in the long term. So yeah, if you have any tips for a newbie, happy to hear.

Jamilya Kamalova: So, the tips on prioritizing proposals, you mean um like which ones you should spend more time reading through or trust trying to make sure I understand the question?

Roselyne Munyiri: Yeah, just generally that uh uh maybe also how you structure your planning around that. Yeah.

Jamilya Kamalova: Okay. So I think I'm just going to start from like uh governance team side and then if anyone from delegates wants to jump in and share your practical tips, please do so.

00:53:09

Jamilya Kamalova: So as a governance team uh I don't know if you know it that's absolutely fine. If not so we pile up all the proposals in one voting cycle. So our voting cycle goes like four every four weeks and uh those proposals that reach the necessary amount of endorsements they can be considered to be included in a particular voting cycle. So in this month for instance we had four proposals. So to us as governance team they're are like equally all equally important. Uh, of course there's some of the like emergency upgrades, what not, which uh we're not talking about, but uh we're putting them on vote and then it's up to delegates to decide which ones they're supporting, not abstaining. Um I have a feeling that people you know spend more time uh reviewing some of the proposals especially on topics that uh might be a little bit divisive or when it comes to like for example big budgets or uh making sure that uh this proposal corresponds to the values and to the ideas of of of the DAO.

00:54:11

Jamilya Kamalova: uh some other proposals that are a bit more technical like protocol upgrades. We usually try to invite some someone from engineering team that comes and presents and answers some of the questions. We have L2 beats team uh and other

delegates who are very technically proficient but if I were a delegate honest to god I would not know uh how to evaluate like protocol upgrade that is just yes I'm like and and that is fine you know there there are people who spend time and happy to provide updates I I'm not discouraging you from trying to take a look and understand them I'm just saying that uh you know sometimes for example if I where to go and question Peter's engineering decisions. Uh that might be a little bit counterproductive because uh you know it's his world. Um so obviously there should be always check and balances. You shouldn't just blindly vote. But there are some votes or some proposals where uh your local expertise uh is very important and needed especially when it comes to like local nodes or something like regional that you feel like you're an expert and in that way we encourage our delegates to come forward and actually provide that insight if you are the expert in that field or in that region.

00:55:23

Jamilya Kamalova: We also host negation skill negation game where we have rounds and rounds and different perspective and see how our decision- making goes. So all of that you will be learning as part of the delegate accelerator program I hope. Um but I also want to allow uh other delegates that are on the call maybe share your tips how you evaluate how what is your approach when you're uh reviewing proposals.

Alex Soto: I mean I can jump in. I mean I guess it's very it's very personal. Uh I think from coming from self-management like it depends on your working rhythms and and mental structure. I think what has been useful for me is to try to feel that I am up to date. So sometimes it's even easier to just like say I won't check anything that happens before now and I'll just keep checking the new approaches. Uh I think comments are very useful especially when they come from a specific critic delegates. I think Don Pepe is a good example like every time he comments something I read it like double time.

00:56:52

Alex Soto: So yeah, I I don't think there is like a hack to sometimes maybe you can ask Chad to help you summarize things, but in in general terms, I think it's just a matter of like make quick readings and then find where are the like the difficult spots and like go deep there. Sure.

Roselyne Munyiri: Thanks. Thanks a lot. I've loved hearing from you guys and I hope to

interact more as time goes. Thanks.

Alex Soto: Um, Yama, now that I have the mic open, I I just wanted to ask like I I am planning to yeah, open the option of like coordinating with some others to have this call. Uh I'm wondering if there is like an specific process to follow or if I just like make it open random and uh yeah maybe I'm thinking maybe opening a new thread linking the post maybe adding some options for people to express their availability. Any comment or anything I should know?

Jamilya Kamalova: Yeah, I mean honestly we don't uh really impose any rules uh and we only encourage you to uh coordinate with our other delegates and form a group. For example, um yeah, corner is doing proposal bonanza and we include it in the governance calendar. So that's just the only thing if we can help you to amplify that or include in the governance cal. If you want like anyone to join, we can do that. But if you want to host like a private just chat with other delegates, do that. Absolutely. Like how can we say no to that? Not for us to say uh anything. uh it's just the only thing if you want a wider reach we can we can also communicate that in the delegate chat absolutely yeah thank you so much okay guys uh we're five minutes over uh

Alex Soto: Perfect. Okay, I I'll consider that and and maybe takes you uh through Telegram. Okay, thank you.

Jamilya Kamalova: thank you all thank you Alex thank you sorry fak pepe thank you Rosaline um see you around and yeah you know where to find us if

Transcription ended after 00:59:27

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.