Pass the Cocoa
Yields: 1 10-inch pizza
Crust adapted from The Candid Appetite
For the Crust
¾ cup warm water
2 ¼ teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for greasing
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
For the Toppings
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
½ teaspoon dried rosemary (or about 1 ½ teaspoons fresh rosemary)
⅓ cup pizza sauce
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
3 ounces fresh goat cheese
½ cup arugula
- Make the dough. Mix together the water, sugar, and yeast. Stir in the olive oil and salt. Mix in the flours. Add more water or four if it is too dry or too sticky.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it is smooth and pliable.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 - 2 hours. After it has risen, refrigerate the dough for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 500 F. Divide the dough in half. Set aside one half of the dough for another use.
- On a floured surface, roll out the remaining half into a 10-inch circle. Place the dough onto a baking sheet greased with olive oil. Brush more olive oil on top of the pizza dough.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare the toppings. Saute the onions and garlic with the salt and pepper, until slightly browned.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the crust. Scatter the grapes, onions, and rosemary over the pizza.
- Bake for another 10-25 minutes, or until the crust is a deep golden-brown.
- While the pizza is baking, make the balsamic vinegar syrup. Boil the vinegar and sugar for about 5 minutes, or until it is reduced by about a third. Let cool.
- Once the pizza is cooked, sprinkle the goat cheese and arugula on top. Drizzle the balsamic syrup.