Pass the Cocoa | passthecocoa.com
Lemon and Honey Granola
Yields about 7-8 cups of granola
4 cups rolled oats (see notes)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
½ cup honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
zest of one lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1 cup puffed rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup raw pepitas
½ cup roughly chopped raw almonds
¼ cup freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries, finely chopped (optional; I just like the extra pop of color and tartness they add)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss together the oats, oil, and salt. Spread evenly over a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, shaking the pan two to three times during baking.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
- In a microwaveable bowl, mix together the brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Microwave on high for about 1 minute, or until the mixture just begins to simmer.
- Place the cooked oats into a large mixing bowl. Add the rice cereal, coconut, pepitas, and almonds. Pour the honey/lemon mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until well-combined.
- Line a 11x17 jelly-roll pan with foil, and grease with vegetable oil.
- Turn the sticky granola mixture onto the pan. Rub some vegetable oil into your palms, and use your hands to press the granola into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool. Peel the granola away from the foil and break into small chunks. Toss in the freeze-dried strawberries, if using them. Enjoy!
- Quick oats can be used in place of rolled oats. Just reduce the toasting of the oats from 15 minutes to about 7-8 minutes. To make this recipe gluten-free, make sure to use certified gluten-free oats.