SGA Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
12:00 p.m. SC 204
Call to Order:
Approval of Minutes:
Hurricanes Women’s Soccer motioned to approve the minutes from the March 5, 2014 meeting;
Student Nurses Association seconded the motion and the meeting minutes were approved.
President – Tam Nguyen (email@example.com)
- A filtered drinking water has been installed in the Health & Wellness Center for testing. I'm happy because one of our wish list's items has been considered.
- Friendly Reminder: Rising Star Banquet is on Thursday, April 24, 2014. The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, March 28, 2014.
- SGA will schedule a meeting with our College President to address our concerns.
- Cameras were installed on Monday, March 24, 2014 in the gym.
- SGA officer applications for 2014-2015.
Vice President – Sean Glaser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary – Devin O’Donnell (email@example.com)
- Minutes posted on SGA page in LSC4ME within 1 week of SGA meetings.
- Agendas posted before meetings. If you haven’t already joined the SGA page in LSC4ME, you’ll need to do that to view agendas and minutes.
- Announcements to be mentioned must use the form located near the name tags and indicate club names and full details regarding events written on form.
Parliamentarian – David Pham (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The meetings run according Robert Rules of Order.
- Discuss what “Campus Issues/Concerns/Compliments” actually entails.
A-Team President – Luisa Salinas (email@example.com)
- Cajun Fest- Wednesday April 2nd from 11am-2pm (east lawn)
- Movie Day- Tuesday April 8th showing times 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm. (will announce movie tittle at meeting)
- A-Team meetings April 7th & 28th
Night School Representative - Vacant ()
Victory Center Representative - Vacant ()
Greenspoint Representative – Michael Horner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Staff Advisor - Dan Mitsven (email@example.com)
- Students were reminded to speak with advisors regarding turning in nomination sheets for the regular awards for the Rising Stars Banquet by Friday March 28, 2014. Submissions for nomination forms for awards decided by students are due by Friday April 4, 2014. These nominations are for the special awards advisors and clubs are eligible to receive. The forms are located on LSC4ME under campus links and can be obtained by visiting the Office of Student Life directly.
- Students were reminded that there is a Chancellor’s Forum being held on Wednesday April 2, 2014 from 3:00pm to 4:00pm in ACAD-126 designed to gain student input on what kind of traits the new Chancellor should have.
- The camping trip was mentioned again with the reminder that deposits are $25 and are refundable upon event attendance. There are a limited number of tents available for use, and there will be limited covered pavilion access as well.
- A straw poll was issued regarding the effectiveness of LSC4ME regarding campus activities and whether or not the contract for that platform should be renewed in order to gain an informal consensus from the student body.
Faculty Advisor – Shae Adkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A reminder to students was issued regarding summer registration being opened and that spring registration will be opening shortly as well.
Campus Concerns, Questions, Compliments:
- Ambassador’s club mentions that the gym usage time restrictions make it difficult to access the gym and they are unsatisfied with the current hours of operation. The SGA reminded the Ambassadors representative that the gym is also open on Friday and Saturday from 8am to 1pm if the Monday through Thursday hours of operation are not sufficient.
- Fabian Villalpando wanted to know about what needed to be done to have security cameras installed on the campus parking lots as his car was stolen from the lot recently.
No guest speaker(s) attended this meeting.
- Phi Theta Kappa (ΦΘΚ-AAΡ): On Thursday March 27th in ACAD-126 there will be a cultural awareness event in conjunction with their weekly meeting, the awareness event is titled “Brain Training 101” and free food will be available as well.
- They are also sponsoring a “hands only” CPR training on April 3, 2014 from 12:00pm to 1:00pm in the LSC-North Harris courtyard.
- Choppin’ Cancer BBQ will be held on April 30, 2014 with proceeds from plates sold going to the “Bryan Barrows Living Legacy Scholarship”.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW): An Affordable Care Act assistance event is still ongoing to provide assistance to those in need regarding the setup of a healthcare.gov profile.
- There will be an event in the Women’s Resource Center on April 1, 2014 from 11:50am to 12:30pm featuring a guest speaker from Planned Parenthood.
- North Star News: There will be another raffle for ad space coming up soon. In order for a club to be eligible for the raffle, the club must first select a liaison to contact the North Star News team prior to the raffle and register in LSC4ME with the North Star News club. Only once this is done will a club be eligible for the ad space raffle. This raffle will be for an eighth page sized ad space located in the last issue of the campus newspaper before the end of the spring semester. Ad space for sale is also available in eighth, quarter, and half size pages should club and other parties be interested.
- Asian Student Association for Progress (ASAP): There will be a memorial service for Johnson Nguyen, the first ASAP President, on Friday Thursday, March 27th from 6:00 to 7:00 PM.
- For Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month there will be several events scheduled starting on March 27, 2014 and running through April, 15, 2014. Events include the Asian-Pacific Islander Month Kick-Off, the Boba Fundraiser for typhoon Haiyan, and the Asian Pacific Islander 5th Annual Festival.
- For students interested in joining ASAP, they hold general meetings every Tuesday from 12:00-12:30 in SC-204.
- Students United for Public Education Reform (SUPE): This club is newly minted and is designed to discuss and resolve issues for public education. They will be having a meeting on April 2, 2014 at 11:00am in the LSC-North Harris cafeteria.
Roll call closure:
Motion to adjourn meeting by Phi Theta Kappa, seconded by ASAP, motion passes and meeting was adjourned at 12:55 pm.