Upgrading the Graphics on computers:
What you have:
Gigabyte F2A68HM-H Motherboard
AMD A8-7600 APU
On-board graphics output:
- 1 x D-Sub port (VGA), supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
- 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600
- * Support for 2560x1600 resolution requires both a monitor and cable that support Dual Link DVI.
- * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
- Maximum shared memory of 2GB (shared with main processor)
Motherboard expansion slots (to use with an off-board graphics card)
- 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
- The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard
- To support PCI Express 3.0, you must install an FM2+ APU (AMD A8-7600 is an FM2+ APU)
- 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
- The PCI Express x1 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.
- 1 x PCI slot
Things to consider:
- What is the output from the card?
- VGA (Video Graphics Array)
- DVI (digital Visual Interface)
- HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface)
- What type of slot does it use to connect to the motherboard?
- PCIe x16 2.0 or 3.0 (best)
- PCIe x1
- How much memory does it support on the card?
- The cheapest video graphics card out there supports about 8MB of memory for $17 (bad)
- The highest end video graphics card I could find had 12GB of memory ($3000)
- A more “normal” 4GB graphics card can be found for under $80
- How much power does it consume?
- Graphics cards will tell you either
- How much power it uses or
- How large a power supply unit the computer needs to have
- We’ve seen top end graphics card assemblies that have external power supplies just for the card and exceed 1000 watts (about the same as an electric space heater).
- How does it keep cool?
- No fan, just the board (older style, called passive cooling)
- Fan cooling (most popular)
- Water cooled
- incorporated, comes with the card
- after-market cooler, bought separately
- Does it support DirectX (version 11)
- A series of Microsoft programming interfaces for multimedia, used heavily in the gaming industry and other graphic designs.
- WQXGA 1GB passive cooling adapter card for ~$30
- 4x HD 4GB tri-card external water cooled system for ~$3,000
GIGABYTE GV-N980X3WA-4GD GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready ATX 3-WAY SLI GAMING Graphics Card, Retail price (7/2015, $3,000)